iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1973 Clark Ranger 666 Restoration

Started by Natureswaytreef, August 29, 2019, 11:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natureswaytreef

Quote from: Andries on September 19, 2019, 06:31:48 AM
WHEW!  Now that's a lot of work!
Is the paint being removed with a wire wheel on a grinder? Why the sandblasting after the grinder work - does it get rid of the grinder marks?
That Ranger is going to be a beauty when it's finished.
They are using air powered disc grinders and also wire wheels on them, They are so efficient, and yes they will sand blast to get areas they cant reach. They are sanding out the grinder marks. Steve is doing a great job and assured me this is the steps needed, He has been painting equipment here in Portland Oregon for 30 years. 

Natureswaytreef

Quote from: Fergy on September 19, 2019, 07:41:50 AM
I also don't understand the sanding before sandblasting?
Its cheaper to sand first then sand blast believe it or not. The sandblasting is expensive. The sandblasting guy said the amount of labor removing most of the paint with sanding will make his job fast and simple and CHEAP. The sanding was very cheap. 8)

Fergy

Quote from: Natureswaytreef on September 19, 2019, 09:28:44 AM
Quote from: Fergy on September 19, 2019, 07:41:50 AM
I also don't understand the sanding before sandblasting?
Its cheaper to sand first then sand blast believe it or not. The sandblasting is expensive. The sandblasting guy said the amount of labor removing most of the paint with sanding will make his job fast and simple and CHEAP. The sanding was very cheap. 8)
Ok. I thought the painter was doing the blasting, for me the sander is the blaster so the hourly rate is the same, therefore it's cheaper for me to blast first and then touch up with a sander after, this also exposes everything we have to work be it rust holes, gouges or dents.
Too much gear and no idea

Natureswaytreef

Well it's getting close, these guys are going overboard.  They have completely went into it balls out. Hes going to wet sand it and put a 2nd coat on. My God it's going to be show quality.  They told me it's for my dad, brought tears to my eyes.  

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Andries

Better than new!
Looks like a showroom machine, but she's already broken in.
Great work!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Natureswaytreef

The seat is done, original seat pan from Wally's in Canada,  great guy. 

Nebraska

Shoot that is cool, way to go!  Looks sharp.

Natureswaytreef

Here is a few more pictures the only thing left to do is to plumb the 3" exhaust and put the decals on. I have one leaky cylinder in the back which is no big deal other than that full service runs great can't wait.

Pine Ridge

Two thumbs up, i would rather have that skidder than a brand new one, and i am not joking.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

btulloh

That looks good enough to drive to church on Sunday mornings!
HM126

Crusarius

:jawdrop: :droooool:

I have other things to say but this is a family site :)

Amazing,

thecfarm

The decals will make that 1973 Clark Ranger 666 pop!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Sorry to hear the circumstances, but this is a great thing you are doing!  Looking good can't wait to see final product.

Natureswaytreef

Got the decals on today, Tuesday the muffler gets plumbed and dialed in. Then the new chokers and bull line. My father suffered a heart attack last Sunday.  He goes home today with hospice care. I have to be done this week. 
I love my dad.

Andries

Beautiful, well done!
He will love what you've done.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

barbender

So sorry to hear about your Dad's condition, he's going to love that machine though! It looks better than new!!👍
Too many irons in the fire

Pine Ridge

When he sees it he will be proud of the skidder, and you !!!!!!

quilbilly

I loved my 666C awesome skidder. Nothing like a screaming Jimmy, your dad will hear it before he sees it. Such a cool project.
a man is strongest on his knees

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

69bronco

Wish we could see his face when he sees it! Your a good son.

Natureswaytreef

Got the muffler done, I'm on the home stretch. These guys did a awesome job, I knew they would when I pulled into the shop next to the 67 el camino.

East ky logging

Looks like new. Great job on the restoration. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

A-z farmer

Very nice restoration of the ranger ,your dad will be pleased .

Thank You Sponsors!