iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mountain Lion

Started by krazykioti, March 30, 2011, 05:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krazykioti

Last night at around 11pm I spotted what I am 99% sure was a mountain lion on the Old Warren Road which borders Chautauqua Co. N.Y and Warren Co.Pa. When it crossed the road approx. 75 yards in front of me I thought it was a big yellow lab. But when I got close to it I new right away it was a big cat, especially when I saw its head! I think from the the tip of its nose to its hind quarters it would measure 4 to 5 feet.It was yellowish brown in color with no spots. Definitely not a bobcat.I saw one of them about 2 years ago.A co-worker told me that the spot where I saw it is where Pa. dumps their road kills.Today I chatted with someone from the NYS DEC and they seemed quite interested in what I had to say,and not disputing me.

Mooseherder

Did they ask if you was Krazy, kioti? ;D :D

krazykioti

Actually not. They did not even try to deny that they could be here.The person I talked to wants me to fill out a form and also if I see one again to contact them.And not shoot it!

woodtick#2

Here in RI we had one not too long ago, very surprisingly DEM did not deny the fact that the track in the snow WAS a mountain lion.
-Nathan

cheyenne

I read in the paper 2 weeks ago DEC has declared them extinct........But we see them every year around here........But they will not publicly admit their here .......It makes no sense to me.......I've seen their tracks next to my streams......My ups man sees them more than anybody & has taken pictures of them.......I saw a picture of one with a guys dog in its mouth.......What are these people afraid of.......Just admit their here & be done with it  whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley.........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Onthesauk

If they admit it, it will cost them money.  Have to count them, tag them, relocate them, ect.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Chuck White

Quote from: Onthesauk on April 26, 2011, 11:01:48 AM
If they admit it, it will cost them money.  Have to count them, tag them, relocate them, ect.

I think they've been reloacted from the West to the Eastern states.
Usually no one wants to admit that they are here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

CLL

Had a bunch of them show up in Missouri, and they killed two or three already.
Too much work-not enough pay.

bill m

Quote from: Onthesauk on April 26, 2011, 11:01:48 AM
That is correct. My BIL works for the Department of Interior and in talking with biologists from the Ma. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife they will not acknowledge that they exist because then they will have to manage them and do not have the money or manpower to do that.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WH_Conley

They will just claim somebody turned it loose.
Bill

Bill

Couple years back there were reports of one hanging out in parks/creek bottoms in Phila/SE Penna . The " authorities " told us that it voluntarily " relocated " itself to Delaware and it disappeared off the news . . .

;)

Ron Scott

Connecticut Cougar Passed through Michigan.

A cougar killed by a car in June near Milford, Connecticut started his journey in the Black Hills of South Dakota, according to scientists at the U.S. Forest Service's Wildlife Genetics Laboratory in Missoula, MT. The big cat's genetic makeup gives more than 99% certainty that he came from S. Dakota. His travels took him through northern Minnesota and Wisconsin in the winter of 2009-10. He was seen several times and left his genetic mark in scats and hair. He disappeared in late spring of 2010 and was not seen until June of this year, when he was killed on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in CT.

Biologists assume the cat'stravel route took him across the U.P. and Ontario, across the St. Lawrence, through the Adirondacks, down the
Hudson valley to the area where he was killed.

Science News
~Ron

doctorb

Ron-

Very interesting stuff.  Did the cat go through customs when he crossed the St. Lawrence? ;D

I am sure they have the ability to cross a river, even one of that magnitude, but I wonder what instinct would drive a cougar to do it.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Only one area narrow enough is in high population area between southern area and Quebec City. The wolves haven't yet come back to NB, so I'm thinking this cat may have gotten away from someone. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Is it possible to own such an animal and not have some authority know about it?   Where would you get one if you wanted one?  Are mountain lions kept in captivity part of some animal registry?  It just seems implausible, not that they could escape, but that a person could escape the restrictions and oversight for owning such a cat.  I must be naive, but if a person owned one, I think a whole lot of people would know it, and if it escaped, I don't think it would be a secret.

SD-

I have crossed the St. Lawrence River countless times, and the volume of water moving through is astouding.  wherever that river narrows, the current must be ferocious, and would be a challenge to even the finest swimming cat.

SwampDonkey

Been known to escape zoos. And even if someone had a permit, and owned one, that doesn't mean you and I or the state of Michigan would know it. :D ;) Maybe I have one that got too big to feed and I let it go and I didn't tell ya. People do it all the time with all kinds of animals. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

A cougar attacked and lamed a horse in Stukly Sud wich is a town 40 minutes by car north of me a few weeks ago. The lady that ownes thr horse saw the cat attack. The horse has three large claw made lashes and some puncture holes on its neck where the cat jumped on it for the kill, it run off and left tracks in mud for the goobermint officials to investagate. 
  I am sure they will find a way to conclude it was not a cat    ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sawguy21

A cougar and her two young were put down near Squamish B.C. this past week. They had been hanging around back yards and were deemed a threat. I hate to see this happen but it would have been worse if someone had been attacked. It is a tough call.
I really admire the cats... from a safe distance.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

We had one around our work site one time down in the Douglas Channel. We used an old harvest road to walk to work from a boat. The cat also liked that road and we found tracks and scat and a couple fellows had it growl at them, it was out of view in the thickets. They made  a b-line to the water. I took a picture of it's tracks. Definitely a cat. We were told that cats would be rare in that region. It's in a heavy rain belt on the BC coast.

Thank You Sponsors!