iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where do I go from here ?

Started by Madman_Mark, March 04, 2005, 06:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

I've been doing some part time logging for the last 2 years now and would like to expand/grow. Right now I use a 4WD tractor with a Farmi winch and usually work alone. Seems to be plenty of work so far, could even hire 1 guy part time for now. Not sure if I should buy a skidder and try to hire a couple of guys or buy a small forwarder etc... etc.... Have to stay low impact. Of course I'll line up plenty of work first. The local mill has given my name and number out a couple of times which also helps alot. I know there's alot more to figure out then this but I have to start somewhere. How have some of you guys started out and grown etc...
Need some opinions and advice.
Thanks.

tnlogger

Madman_Mark  its hard to say without knowing how big you want to get .
If you have a goodsized 4wheel drive tractor  i would look into a fowarding trailer
there are some good ones in your neck of the woods and it would keep your cost down
to start off with.
If you remember too take your time a grow slowly you can make it full time logging.
Make sure the income is more then the outcome and you'll be fine  :D :D :D
gene

thecfarm

Some people may not want a skidder on their land.I won't let one on mine even if I was driving it.Maybe land owners want a person like you to log on their land.Hard one to say.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OLD_ JD

Madman_Mark u will have to consider the type of land u plan to work on it..i saw ure from halifax right?..is it swompy,or hilly or rocky??...them after u can chose if u go on weels or on track?is it on hardwood or evergreen??farm land or wild territory??are u transporting ure log??.....all those anwser can help u to get the best equipement ....hope that can help ;)
canadien forest ranger

Madman_Mark

Thanks for the quick replies.
Most of the land around here is mixed with twice as much softwood as there is hardwood.
It's not too swampy but of course there are some swamps and hills etc... Some farm land but most is wild.
What's the advatage of having a forwarding trailer, then I have to drive all over the land intead of winching in from a distance. Do some use a winch along with the trailer somehow (not sure where it would all fit). I know it will keep the wood cleaner but that's no advatage or profit to me. It seems quicker to winch it all in and skid it out, cut it to lengths and shove them into a pile. Do many guys make a living with just a tractor and winch ?
I know it's possible but how much more could I make with a skidder and 1 or 2 men ? I am concerned with low impact logging though and a tractor/winch is a good way to go along with proper techniques.
Thanks again.

tnlogger

mark the idea of the trailer is you can haul  more out in one trip .
there are some lodders that have a small ele winch on the head to drag the butts trailer
or since you already have the tractor and winch drag the but to the end of the traill
drop them hook back up to the trailer and load ang go to the landing. no draging loads and you keep the gound in better shape. as for outting on more crew even after you pay their wadges you still have to pay insureance and takes on them counts up fast.
keep you should have at least one other person with you in the woods just for safty sack.
gene

OLD_ JD

here what i think....tractor are not realy make for intencive forest work,they can be useful on decent land but if u think about having worker ure better off whit some real forest equipement.on softwood a forwarder skidder will cary a lot more wood then using a forwarding trailer whit a winch whit less soil impact(ure trailer have no power traction). the combo of tractor and trailer are mostely set up for a single worker,by having log transport u will protect small trees and damage .hope that can help  JD
canadien forest ranger

Thank You Sponsors!