iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Igland 2 spool winch drum

Started by mad murdock, November 20, 2011, 02:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Anyone played with an igland 2 spool winchdrum? I was looking at them online the other day and thinking that would be an awesome combo with an old skidder! Would be a nice upgrade for some of these older machines.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bothy_Loon

We used them on the back of County tractors. Great bit of kit that gave very little bother.

mad murdock

Did you run it Bothy? What capacity was the one you are describing? I see from the website that one can order just the winchdrum for install/retrofit on a custom application.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bothy_Loon

We had the 8tonne double drum on the back of our 1184 county.
We also had a slightly smaller double drum on the back of a smaller County. Of the two the small County was the most stable on steep ground & as a result that winch did a lot of hard work & gave years of service.

mad murdock

That is good to hear. I will have to do some more studying on this. Did you feel the 5 tonne was underrated for the amount it could actually pull? I know gearmatics a bit, and my 8A winchdrum I think is underrated when compared to a JD 3310, which is supposed to be a 10 ton. The gearmatics rated at 8 sure seemed to pull a lot harder han the JD winches (3310/3315). 

Ironwood

How does a Gearmatic 25 stack up.? 

I have one that I have never ran, and am curious what to expect.

Thanks Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mad murdock

Ironwood, I am aware of the 8A, 9, 19, and 119.  If it goes along the line of these models, my guess would be that they rated it at 25,000 lb line pull. On the models I mentioned, you add 3 zeros to the model number and you have the rated line pull for that winch, except the model 119, it is a improved version of the 19.  Maybe John W of Port Townsnd WA will confirm or correct my statement, or bushmechanic, they know more about them than I do.

Thank You Sponsors!