iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash for timber frame members question

Started by stanwelch, December 29, 2011, 05:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanwelch

I am new to the forum and have read many threads regarding what trees to use for timber framing.  However, I would like to know the pros/cons for the use of Ash.  I have enough dead/dying ash trees in my woods to build the sawmill shed I'm planning and would like your advice.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Jim_Rogers

Stan:
Welcome to the forum.
I don't have any experience with Ash other than milling for lumber for flooring or other products.
I have never used it for timber framing.
I'm sorry I can't give you any advice but maybe others will.

Good luck with your projects

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Mad Professor

Ash is excellent

End coat the cants as soon as cut, ash will check badly, otherwise

Dead wood is hard to work, like oak.

Recommended, by my mentor, Dick Babcock

stanwelch

MAD PROFESSOR, thanks for the information.  I plan to start cutting late this winter for a small shed (10 x 12) to cover the sawmill cutting head and have a place to store my tools and saws etc. near the saw.
I retired last April and want to learn how to construct a timber frame building.  If the small shed goes well, I want to build a 24 x 40 sawmill shed and lumber storage.  I also have a fully equipped woodshop in my 30 x 50 pole barn and am running out of room for air drying lumber.
Too many projects too little time.  Wish me luck.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Kansas

Powder post beetle may be a problem Not saying it can't be treated. But they can wreak havoc. If your ash is dead and dying, is it the emerald ash borer? The foresters on here could tell you more, and whether it would affect the wood. I don't know much of anything about timber framing, but we have cut a fair amount of bur oak for it. Ash, providing bugs aren't a problem, should be just about as strong.

stanwelch

The Ash trees are dying from the Emerald Ash Borer.  I will saw the logs soon after felling then coat the ends and spray the post/beam for the powder post beatle before stickering.  Does this sound like the best plan to protect the beams before cutting joints?  It will take me a while to get the beams and posts milled before I start construction.  Should I cut the mortise and tenons as I get a member cut or should I wait and let the members dry a bit while I cut and mill the others?

Raphael

I'd cut all the joinery at the end.  There's bound to be some movement, checking etc. as the timbers dry which could cause assembly problems in joints cut early on.

Try to keep the sun off the timbers and a solid roof that sits well above them.  If you're letting them sit several months it's a good idea to shift the stickers from time to time.  Don't ask me how I know  ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

beenthere

"Shift the stickers" because .... ?  Sticker stain maybe?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stanwelch

Thanks, Raphael.  I will have some timbers sitting several months and will try to move the stickers.  How long can I leave the stickers before moving?

Raphael

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2012, 01:03:22 PM
"Shift the stickers" because .... ?  Sticker stain maybe?
That's a good part of it, make sure there's no condensation building up in there.  My pine was stickered up on light cribbing wet off the mill and the last few pieces I cut joinery in have a few dynamic cross stripes.   ;)

I also wound up with a small pocket of surface rot where the sticker crossed one of my 'old' spruce posts, that's the 'low roof' problem.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!