iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Duel Port 460?

Started by woodbe, June 29, 2011, 11:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

Why is it that some 460's had a duel port muffler and others did not? I have 460 with a single port. I was thinking of getting the new duel port cover just to see how big of a different there is. The saw is all stock as fare as I know. I got the saw for good deal with the 32" bare good and chain. Not a bad buy.

Woodbe

Al_Smith

That brings up an interesting question of which I only have a theory .I would assume it might have something to do with the year of manufacture .That wild guess I can only base on the 038 mags which depending on year could have either a single or duel port muffler .Now the true answer to that question I honestly do not know .

Ed

To my knowledge, the dual port muffler on 046 & 066 saws was killed by OSHA, the saws were to loud.

Adding the dual port cover will wake up your 460 a little, the primiary port also needs to be enlarged and the internal baffle drilled out or removed to get the full benifit.

Ed

Al_Smith

It gets confusing as the dickens .On the 046 IPL alone  it shows two different muffler bases and three different covers .I didn't bother to look at the MS 460 IPL but it might have a few more .

FWIW reworking the exhaust on a stock saw will give you most gains for the least amount of money which has been proven time and again .Also keep in mind there is no such thing as a quiet  fast saw so you'll need a good set of ear plugs if you go that route .

Thank You Sponsors!