iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what happened to PodCast

Started by Tam-i-am, February 14, 2018, 09:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

I enjoyed listening to the podcasts.  Will there be more?
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Jeff

Well, the truth is a became disillusioned about it when I had 3 members in a row decline my invitation to do it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

The last 3 I asked.  I had one that said yes before that, but I got busy as it was Christmas time and didn't follow through.

gaproperty

Thanks for creating this forum. It's great. 

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

slider

Good job Jeff i enjoyed you and David. 
al glenn

jemmy

1 vote for the podcast!!! Thank you for the forum!!!
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Old Greenhorn

It's been a number of years since you have done these @Jeff f and they are a lot of fun. I am wondering now that you have a lot of different members if it would be time to maybe give it another try? It IS winter after all.
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Possibly. :)  Be a lot easier to do with a facebook podcast but I'm afraid a lot of members can't or won't see those.

Southside

For what it's worth I agree they would be great, and yes I could not get it from Facebook
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I too would suggest you avoid faceplant. I am there, but there is too much nonsense these days with 'outsiders' throwing in comments, but the video aspect would be fun I guess. I know the one other forum member I am friendly with does not use FB either. Seems like keeping it in the family here might be the better way to go. But it's entirely your call. Is there a forestry Forum presence on FB? If so, I missed it.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Jeff

Nope, just my personal page.  That version of Jeff would be in all kinds of trouble here. :D

Jeff

Ill see if i can reaqiaint myself with the technical side of it. I used my laptop before, and it has since died.

Old Greenhorn

I stand corrected, there is, in fact, a forestry Forum page on Facebook, which I in fact 'liked' several years ago, but there has been little activity.

Jeff

The Forestry Forum facebook page is only there because someone tried to set up a fake one years ago, including stealing our logo. It took a lot of Red Tape to get facebook to take it down. They said I needed to keep and maintain the actual page after that.  I feel facebook is useless for the type of information exchange we have here.  Everything we do here is here. You can find the first posts ever made easily.  I have used it a few times when we had technical troubles here to get the word out, but I don't allow any running questions or posts there. If someone posts there, I tell them they need to do it here.

goose63

Quote from: Jeff on January 08, 2019, 04:21:12 PM
Nope, just my personal page.  That version of Jeff would be in all kinds of trouble here. :D
Jeff you ain't the only one I have 26 more days left in the F B brig  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

burtle

I'd love to listen to podcasts of other members discussing saw mills, lumber, portable mill business etc...

if there's a facebook group where they are at or where they will be I'd join in a heartbeat!
Never Give Up

Bruno of NH

I would like to hear members
MM
Peter Drouin 
Yellow Hammer
WHD
Customsawer
Smith?
Please
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

UGiles

I just found this forum and boy did it make my day! But...

Doesn't anyone find it ironic that the topic of this post is basically that the podcast is discontinued because nobody would offer to participate? And then the only response from you guys was "Ya really, I want to hear more." or "Yes, I want to hear this person, and that person..." without a SINGLE person offering to help. When I joined this site 3 days ago, it didn't cost me a cent. I've since found tons of valuable advice here. Now, I understand that we're all busy folks, but there seems to be plenty of time to respond to posts, or search the database for ones own benefit. Would it really be that hard to give something back to the forum by helping out on a podcast here and there. This forum has over 35,000 members! I'm positive that at the very least, 25% of you are skilled or highly skilled Loggers, Mill Workers, or Foresters etc... That means if (are you ready?) 1/4 of you guys recorded 1 podcast a week, with 1 other member, minus 2 weeks a year for holidays, then there would be podcasts with new speakers every week for the next 87 years!

So I will ask our Fearless Leader - Jeff's question to every member of the forum one more time... Will members please step forward like the real men/women we all are and volunteer to give back to this forum by helping make a podcast? I will. I'm a textbook example of a "Jack of all trades but master of none" however, I have managed to pick up a thing or two in 45 years that someone else would probably appreciate hearing about. I highly doubt that I'm alone in that respect.

Old Greenhorn

@UGiles perhaps it would help if you evaluated the demographic represented here. Mostly they are males, over the age of 45. Of course we have some outstanding women, but they are, unfortunately, in the minority. They are hard working folks that are self motivated to try new things, figure out solutions and keep pressing until they succeed. They are very knowledgeable mostly having gained that knowledge through hard work and more than a few mistakes. They are happy yo share their knowledge to helps others get a leg up. BUT, I think you will also find out that in spite of all the photos they post of beautiful work, difficult tasks completed, and even some bone headed mistakes, they are a humble bunch. Nobody is really jumping the gun to blow their own horn or put themselves up as an 'expert'. We all feel as if we have a lot left to learn and would rather listen to folks smarter than us. That's why you see folks quick to post who they would like to hear from, but they never put their own name on that list.
 Anyway, that is my take. I do not represent the views of the management or the members here. It's just my view after hanging around here for a while and enjoying the company.
 Welcome to the forum and if you are planning on hanging out, why not fill out your profile info a little more so we know something about you?
 I too would like to hear more podcasts, but I also know it is a lot of work for Jeff to put it together. I respect his time and think if he has it to spare, he would pursue it. Having run digital setups like this myself, I have a great deal of respect for the time that is required and would never ask the SYSOP to do more unless he was of a mind to do it. Enjoy your time here.

UGiles

I completely agree with what you are saying. And believe me when I say that I meant absolutely no disrespect and have no ill thoughts about anyone. I was just trying to stir up the pot... And it's just my opinion, but I don't think that by a person speaking to the group, that constitutes them being anything other than just one of us that is sharing. That doesn't require any lofty knowledge, degree, nor does it imply that they are "blowin their horn". I only referenced the 25% skilled/very skilled section to hopefully encourage some folks and keep the very new ones from feeling guilty, lol. Trust me, I went through many years not speaking up because I didn't think I could possibly have anything valuable to say or that anyone wanted to hear. Only in the last 10 years or so have others been telling me otherwise and I see how wrong I was. ALL of us have valuable knowledge that others would benefit from. There is an unfathomable amount of knowledge in the world! More that anyone could possibly learn in 100 lifetimes. That means we should share what we've learned. We depend on what others have already learned to help ourselves. That is how we move forward as a race, by sharing information.
   Also, I do understand that it's a lot of work to maintain a site like this. I work with wood as a hobby and to keep a token grasp on my sanity (I think). In my day job I'm a Front End Developer, and I'm back in school working on a 2nd degree. The 1st a B.A. in Web Development and the 2nd a B.S. in Computer Science. And I am following your advice and fleshing out my profile. 8)

Cheers