iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Underwater Logging

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, February 16, 2004, 06:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Tell us more about your interest in underwater logging in the Rocky Mountain area.

Do you know of sunken logs in certain rivers or reservoirs? Be they from river drives or floating logs or from damming up rivers and flooding the trees??

Pls fill out your profile with at least some general location where you are at.
The Rocky Mtn area might be in Canada, or any of several states, or maybe even Mexico.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Since I have the ability to see the email address of Lucky Dog, I think I can safely guess that his interest is not that of participation.  I'm guessing another reality show casting search.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Doing a search of his email address, shows he has a definite affinity for Yoopers in his casting preferences.  :D :D :D   
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WDH

Chet you will soon be a star. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

I believe we would need subtitles on that show to decypher Yooper speak for some parts of the world... Eh?   ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Ron Scott

North Carolina Duo Sees Gold Mine in Underwater Timber

Hamptonroads.com (December 1) - Hundreds of years ago, massive virgin juniper and cypress trees from the Great Dismal Swamp fueled a lumber industry thriving around what was then a new trading center-Elizabeth City.

Loggers hauled cut trees on barges or rafts to the waterfront mills. Occasionally, loose logs often broke away and sank to the bottom, where they have remained since.

Because furnituremakers and other timber-salvage mills seek this rare, beautiful, old-growth wood, Randy Hiestand launched Deep Creek Logging, and plans to salvage the sunken trees.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/11/nc-duo-sees-gold-mine-underwater-timber

The E-Forester
~Ron

wfcjr

Not sure if any one has mentioned this or not...

Current issue of Northern Woodlands, Winter '14, has an article p.58, "Mining Timber".  Article is about
a company that has permits to haul up logs at the bottom of Quakish Lake in Maine. 

Neat article, but sounds like a very niche product.  Evidently the time under water has a huge impact on the
strength & structural integrity of the wood.  Looks like the wood is going into applications where appearance and
"background story" are important. 

Here is a link to the table of contents page.  Article is on p58

http://northernwoodlands.org/issues/issue

Thank You Sponsors!