iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, I won't be going Hydraulic

Started by stumpy, May 02, 2010, 03:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I've been following a sawmill at a local auction.  It was a 1995 LT40 Hydraulic with only 700 hours on it.  I was winning till the last 15 minutes.  It ended up going for $8900.  That may seem good, but after tax and buyers premium, it was almost $11,000.  Oh well :)
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

logwalker

I hate to point this out ( :)), but with 700 hours it was a great buy. That is if it was cared for by owner. So you won't feel so bad you can just assume that the buyer was willing to go a lot more. What kind of auction was it? Was it on the internet? With internet bidding it is getting a lot harder to get the killer deals.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

beenthere

Sorry you missed out Stumpy. When was the auction?
Now, quit "following" and "lead"   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stumpy

Maybe in a good economy $11,000 would have been a good deal, but today prices on everything are down.  I set my limit and stuck to it.  Bottom line was that I had to sell my LT30 to help pay for it, and with the matket down, I figures I could get maybe $8,000 for mine.  So, adding another $2,000 for an older style mill mill that I'd have to add a debarker for another $1600, plus I've been spoiled with my autoclutch and you can't add one on a '95 machine.  All in all, I feel pretty good with missing out.  It was an internet auction and it happened to be a block away from my shop.  I knew the saw and the owner.  He had a Woodlam business specializing in laminated beams and decking.  Been in business for many years, but couldn't survive this economy even though the "Great One" is gonna fix everything any day now ::) (oops, excuse the commentary)

Ironwood

Sorry to hear you "missed out" but, I have learned there is ALWAYS a reason for "missing" an opportunity, just around the next corner comes EXACTLY what I needed.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

zopi

Good reason to miss that one is, it's two years too old...won't have a two plane clamp...hydraulics are great but that clamp really makes it worthwhile..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

r.man

Stumpy, sorry for your loss but I agree that it is a good thing to budget a limit and stick with it for auctions. Emotions make people pay more than they would normally so usually the person getting the bargain is the one with a plan that follows through either way. Was also interested to here Gretsky was working on the economy down there. He's Canadian too. Best of luck with your search for an affordable hydraulic mill.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Meadows Miller

Gday

Stumpy Sorry you dipped out  ;)  :( But like the saying You cant win em all  ;) but im sure another will come up sometime down the track for you Mate  ;) plus somtimes its better to stick with what you got Mate  ;)  ;D it took me a while to learn that one meself Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

stumpy

Thanks for the replies gang.  Yea MM, I am happy with what I got now.  I have my LT30 set up just the way I want it.  I have debarker, autoclutch and I replaced the hand crank with an electric winch.  Having hydraulic loader wouldn't really benefit me the way I operate, but having hyd back supports and clamp would be nice.  Some guys have added both, but I'm not that talented when it comes to fabricating.

bandmiller2

Stumpy,the good news Mizer made more than one of those mills outhers will be along shortly, meanwile you have a good mill to bide your time with.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kansas

You just don't know sometimes which way to go. We bought the place across from our sawmill last summer. It will be our eventual new home. At the time, business was at its slowest. It was an old concrete batch plant that sold out. On this place was a set of truck scales. They were offered to us for 5000 dollars. We turned them down.  At the time, I couldn't think of any possible reason to need them. There is a set of scales located a mile away at the local Co-op, if we had to weigh something.  Now we have a situation where  1000 canker disease is one state away, and possibly making container treating and shipping of logs necessary. Along with  biofuel plants springing up will result in us installing a grinder for the waste wood when we move, those scales could have come in handy.

They sold on auction last week. The price they brought? 13,200.

Thank You Sponsors!