iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oops! suddenly a lumberman.

Started by sawdust, March 02, 2007, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

My milling buddy called me up and said "I was offered some salvage, $20 per ton, do you want it?" I said ya why not. I really did not think he was serious, we have teased each other before. He did not mention how much...

I own 100 tons of pine! He has graciously offered to store it for me. I will post a picture once it has arrived. So I need to develop some firewood market and quick finish my mill. Not real big timber he says mostly 10".
I may tarp it for this year I have an awful lot of irons at the moment. And no mill :-\

I have arrived!!!

sawdust 8)
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

WDH

Yep, you now have arrived and your have $2000 in inventory ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Whatch mean "..tarp it for a year." ??

And which pine is it?

Sounds like a project............ :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawdust

Morning, I'm thinking it is likely white pine given where it came from. I will find out when I get back home. I had thought to put a big poly tarp from Princess Auto over the pile to keep the rain off. Though we really don't get much rain.

sawdust

Gary_C

The bugs or grubs just love those green white pine logs. They do not like dry wood nor submerged logs so your tarp idea may just provide the damp environment that will accelerate decay and bug damage. With pine if you want bright clean wood you need to saw it promptly. The logs will keep alright when it's cold, but when the weather warms, you risk a lot of degrade problems.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

jokers

Like Gary said, if you plan to turn this pine into lumber. You could find a pond to store it in. It also seems that it would take a pretty big tarp to cover 100 tons of 10" and under white pine logs.

Tarps are a good way to make machinery rust and wood piles rot from trapped ground moisture.

sawdust

good points thankyou. sawdust.
No ponds to be had so we will go with the air dry option! We have so little humidity in the air at the moment I can spark nearly 3/4 inch by walking across the room and touching the switch. DANG I hate that.
Joan does not think much of it if I kiss her before grounding out either ;)

beenthere

sawdust
You have low humidity in the air in the heated home, but I'm bettin you have RH of 70-90% outside.  :)

Getting your pine bolts up off the ground as much as possible (sacrifice some to get them up) and arrange the piles so they get good air, should help the best, beins you can't saw them.

For the static spark, I have an alum can tab laying next to the switch, that I pick up and touch the screw first (before reaching for the computer or cables or dear wife  :) )  A key works too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

sawdust, are these BC white pine? No white pine indigenous to the prairies.  ;) I'm thinking more toward lodgepole or jack pine maybe since it's small diameter. ;)

pics?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawdust

Hi Swampdonkey, I am still in Edmonton taking care of my Grandfather, I am itching to get home and go look. I will post pictures too, I always have to relearn how to do that each time. I'm just not a good puterperson. when I get back I will figure out the location so you can look on Google Earth. There is so much oil activity that there is often incredible resolution coverage of the area.

If I am sorting saw log vs firewood, should i end seal the saw logs? I have seen discussions about endsealing but I doubt you do this on a bunch of pine. I use diesel/linseed mix when I finish a concrete slab, that should work.

the update, still not home and I phoned ....  the first 3 loads have arrived... seven to go.... So the truck carries 30 tons... I'm not good at math, I have figured out this is more than it was supposed to be!

They are lodgepole. butts will be good sawlogs and the tops wil be fire wood.

sawdust.

WDH

10 loads at 30 tons is 300 tons, so you will have a major sawing "mountain" to climb.  Hope you can get that mill going real soon..............
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

And that = $6,000.
This stuff isn't by any chance, beetle killed salvage ???

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

You better be rounding up a DanG load of drying stickers  :D.

sawdust

I have got to get home and go have a look. I believe they were cut to build an oil lease road and the actual lease for an oil well site. I don't think they are beetle kill, they have not quite gotten here yet... There is a mill that I can use however I have tried it and that 48" slab of spinning steel just unnerves me. :o

Should be able to get pics tomorrow.

sawdust

birchbark

hey sawdust, not sure where in central alberta you are, but i am about an hour south of edmonton and am always looking for firewood logs. if you have more than you can practically use , i may be interested depending onĀ  your location.

Sprucegum

Welcome to the Forum Birchbark

Nice to see another Albertan here  8)

If you look straight west you should see Sawdust just over the hill  :D  :D

I'm North east of you about 3 hours.

mikeandike

I'm suddenly curious about how many people use Pine for firewood.
I always thought that nobody used it for firewood because of the
flammable pitch that would build up on the flues.

Maybe not a problem in some heaters or stoves. Please enlighten me.
I just love this place. Ya' learn sometin every time.

I have used Pine in an open burn barrel to heat a big shop like space.

Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

beenthere

mikeandike
Possibly pine is the only firewood wood available. Some are not in areas that grow hardwoods. Some would love to have some hardwood to burn for heat.
south central Wisconsin

mikeandike

Well that makes sense and should have been obvious and probably
was to every one except me. And to top that I lived for a while in
Carlsbad, New Mexico where every bit of firewood was trucked in except
mesquite. We would ship oil field chemicals out of our area in our own
semi's and bring them back with firewood. Quite expensive wood.

But really....is it really dangerous in a fireplace, inside heating stove, or
cook stove?
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

beenthere

To a degree, maybe dangerous. But I think all wood and fire in a woodburner should be considered dangerous. Put the wood in that will burn fast, and open the draft so it will burn fast and hot, then its more dangerous than dry oak that probably will burn slow, or green oak that will burn slower. Just a matter to control the fuel and air so its not overheating the appliance or stove or its surroundings.

But I think all wood burning can be controlled to hold down the danger aspect.

Now, I have to go stir the wood fire..clean some ashes out...throw in some hickory limbwood for tonight.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Ianab

Pine is OK as firewood as long as it's properly dry, you burn your fire nice and hot and clean out the flue occasionally. Most fireplaces in NZ are designed to burn it and the most common firewood is radiata pine sawmill slabs and offcuts. Sure a nice hardwood is better burning, but pine is cheap and burns OK

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PineNut

Don't know about fireplace and heaters but I burn pine in my outdoor furnace. If I need a lot of heat, I burn mostly pine. But when I need to sustain a fire for a period of time, I use mostly hardwood. I prefer hardwood but when a pine is down and needs to be moved, I just cut it up for firewood.

sawdust

Hi Birch bark, I live in beautiful down town Rimbey. You sound like Ponoka?
There is a fellow west of Ponoka right on 53 selling birch for 270/cord and poplar for 100/cord How he manages that I dont know. Mostly we have softwoods around here. Mostly spruce and poplar, occasionally birch.

sawdust

sawdust

Birch Bark, are you the denturist I met a couple years ago in Red Deer? Either way we should have coffee, I have been up to Edmonton 3 times in the last week my grand father is not doing so well. I could pause on my way up.

sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!