iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pitch Buildup On Blade Sawing Ash

Started by GF, April 12, 2006, 10:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

When sawing ash lumber I am getting alot of pitch buildup on the blade near the gullets.  I have the blades set at .021.   I am using water with pinsol and some dishwater detergent in the mix, but this does not seem to help.   I put two new Cooks blade guides on recently and it seems like since I put them on I have been having this problem.  Also the blade guide that is on the exit side of the blade seems to get some pitch buildup on the front portion in the same area as the blade is. 

My first thought is possibly the bearing in the front of that guide is running hot causing the problem.  I could try swapping the two guides around to see if the problem follows the guides.  Just curious if anyone else has a pitch builup issue when sawing ash.  I also checked the blade alignment with the deck and its level.   

Bibbyman

We had a pretty good talk about that subject back in January.

You may want to look through some of these posts and see if it gives you any answers.

Link==>Teeth on edger blades covered with gunk – got a fix?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

GF

Thanks for the refresher Bibby, I remember that post now.  I got some cedar and sycamore both, so I will just alternate between them while cutting ash.

sawyerkirk

We always had the same problem cutting ash. The only way we ever kept it off was to drip veggi oil on the blade. worked like a charm.

Jason_WI

I cut about 1500 bf of ash these past 2 months. I use a steady stream of windshield wash on the blade being cold but water has worked with ash also.  Dripping water on will not do the trick, it must be a continous stream.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Thank You Sponsors!