iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to use tractor with winch/forwarder trailer combo ??

Started by Madman_Mark, March 06, 2005, 08:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

This is a follow up to one of my previous posts.
Some of you suggested that I should get a forwarding trailer/loader to use with my tractor and winch.
I've been looking into it and it sounds like a good idea.
I've never used one so I need lots of info on the best ways to operate.
Is it best to winch all the trees to my skid road and then unhook the winch and hook up the trailer, or just travel across everything (which I prefer not to do) to each pile of wood that I cut as if cutting for a larger forwarder.
Give me some advice please.
Thanks.

Ed_K

I have my trailer hooked right to the winch. I plan my skid roads, then cut them out being careful to cut stumps low, so they won't punture my tires. Then I start at the back of the lot and cut trees. Winch the logs to the trailer, pick them up with the loader, pull it up and cut off a piece. Load on to the trailer and get another piece. Keep going till I have a load and out I go.
Depending on how big the trailer is determines how big the tractor needs to be. Under 1/2 cord needs 3000# tractor. 1/2 to 1 cord needs at least 7000#.
Ed K

tnlogger

gene

jrb34

I can't quite see how the trailer attaches to the winch. Do you have a closer pic? I've looked for places on my Fransgard I could mount a hitch, but I don't see anything rugged enough to weld a receiver to.
JRB

Ed_K

I have a 2" ball hitch where the bottom sheave goes. I am planning on putting in a Reese coupling to get the ball hitch a little lower.
Ed K

tawilson

I've been talking about putting hitch on my Farmi for a year now and just have't done it. Are you going to cut a hole in the blade to slide the reciever in  and weld it in place? I've been into some welding and fabbing projects the last few weeks and maybe it's time to do this one. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

Madman_Mark

tnlogger, can you post a close up of the hitch on your winch ?
Anymore advice on my previous question from anyone ?
Thanks again.

tnlogger

mark thats ed_k tractor and winch he might have a lager picture laying around some place
that he can send ys
gene

woodmills1

I have a Kioti metavic package from payeur, it serves me very well.  The winch is hydraulic and built into the head board.  I winch up to the skid roads and then cut and lift into the trailer with the loader.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ed_K

Be sure when you weld in a box type hitch, that it won't be in the way if you ever have to drop your clutch or drum out. I will have to offset mine some, I realised this when I had trouble with the drum and clutch sticking during real cold temps.
I'll get a picture of the hitch as it is now, after it stops raining.
Something else to think about is if your on hillside land, the hitch should be able to rotate 180 degs, incase the trailer tips over, it won't tip your tractor. Mine's not set up this way, the reason for wanting to change it.
Ed K

JN68

HI ; i have a fransgaurd v4000 winch, 405 patu loader on home made power trailer. I winch everything to a main skiding road.saw the trees too what is needed. Unhook the winch (does not take anytime) hook the power trailer on and forward the logs,pulp,hardwood too the yard. The reason that i do it this way is i have seen what happens too the 3 point hitch arms when toooo! much weight are placed on them. Add the weight of the winch plus the loader,trailer, load= trouble. That's is just my own way i look at it. ;) JN

slowzuki

A fellow here has an older winch with the legs.  His forwarding trailer hooks under the winch when the 3 point is up all the way and it seems to clear well.

I think I'd prefer the forwarding trailers with the built in winch.

Ed_K

Here's a picture of my hitch setup.

It would be better to have a swivel type of hitch in case the trailer ever tipped over.
Ed K

Madman_Mark

Good picture, that winch looks quite a bit like mine, it's a Farmi 351.
Good advice about the hitch being able to rotate, I didn't take that into consideration.
That would be alot of weight on the 3PH though.
How much does it affect the trailer when you have to lower the winch to the ground when winching in trees ?
Would be nice to have a winch right on the back of the trailer.

Ed_K

Woodhog, that an intresting article. I'd like to see it working. Anyone know of someone in the new england area using one?
Ed K

Bro. Noble

My son and I work together,  we use a FWD tractor with forks on the front, and a winch behind.

He pulls a log wagon behind the winch and I take a log truck.  I cut and limb and he skids and bucks and loads the wagon and truck.  It works good for us and didn't cost much.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

hillbilly

Noble does your son load the truck w/the tracto or do you have a loader on the truck?
                   HILLBILLY

Bro. Noble

He loads the truck and wagon with the front end loader. 

Come on over and take a look sometime------bring your gloves :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

When dad and I cut wood we had a skidder, but we also used the front end loader to load the straight truck. Had to be careful cause we had no cab on the old John Deere and them big aspen logs was heavy if they ever came off the loader. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!