iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

updates from the front.... Iraq through my eyes

Started by jjmk98k, July 21, 2007, 12:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

Well, I have been here over a full weeks now... I have seen a lot of BS going on, but have seen a lot of humbling events as well.

Over here I am in charge of the Egress Shop, we maintain the ejection seats and canopy jettison systems for the A-10 Thunderbolt II, in the event of a crewmember having to eject from a disabled aircraft. We work 12 hour shifts and have 24 hour coverage..... there are 4 of us.... we work 7 days a week.

When we are not working on aircraft, we pass time tossing horseshoes or tossing darts.  Most of the guys that work for me or around me are in thier 30's or early 20's....

These guys are digging ditches to sink poles in the ground to build offices, decks and other "quality of life" things. So far from what I have seen makes me very proud... I mean, theres a 22 year old kid making lounge chairs out of 2x4's and plywood..... another one is painting a mural, others are studing to finish thier degrees.  Some of americas best are all around me.

Overall the additude is good, no one argues why we are here, we just argue over who's turn it is to stock the fridge with water bottles!

This base is so barren.... nothing for miles and miles.  We have had a few dust / sand storms and the average daytime temp is 108 in the shade... 124 in the direct sunlight! We do have one tree / shrub growing here and I am TRYING to take care of it by watering it once in a while.

jets take off and land 24/7 so you never get a full good night sleep as we are right next to the runway.

with all the bad, there is a lot of good and right now, there is no where I'd rather be than providing air cover for our guys on the ground.

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

sgtmaconga

Thanks for all you and your guys are doing. My brother is sitting on one of your seats over there so thanks in advance if he has to use it.

Measure twice cut once

Dan_Shade

thanks for the job you're doing over there.  I once heard that one of the ejection seat companies has a picture of every pilot that ever had to use one in their assembly area, it kind of brings home the importance of their job.

having that ejection seat work has to be a world of relief if you are unfortunate enough to need it.

everyone's job is important, and it all adds up to something bigger than any single part.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

Jim, I think I got a handle on just how you feel.  I filled a lot of sandbags and pitched a lot of horseshoes when I was on my "vacation."  Dug holes for bunkers and filled more sandbags.  Did a little carpentry to try and make life better, and filled more sandbags.  I "lived" in the middle of a heliport, and believe me, it does get better sleepwise.  A week just ain't enough time to get used to it.  After a couple of months, I was sleeping through mortar attacks. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Riles

We flew our missions in Afghanistan from an airbase in a neighboring Former Soviet Republic. You could tell when they got the rent check, they had money to buy fuel for the MiGs we shared the airfield with. They'd promptly spend their days practicing dive bombing on our tents. Yeah, it's noisy.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Norm

Thanks Jim and thanks to your fellow workers also. :)

The A-10 is one of my favorite aircraft and that one in the picture is a beauty.

ronwood

Jim,

Best of luck on your stay in Iraq. Hope all is safe.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Quartlow

Keep yourself safe over there Jim

The a-10 is an awesome aircraft. I've seen some pictures of some that came back missing major pieces and still flying. Here's to hoping the pilots don't need to use your seats!
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

pigman

Keep up the good work Jim. Keep your powder dry. ;) ( I guess that is not a proplem where you are loacted. ;D)

That is one fine looking "Hog" in the picture, warts and all.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

fstedy

Jim
Stay safe. Thats an awsome aircraft. I see them land at ACY sometimes while sawmilling. I assume they were practicing gunnery at Warren Grove range here in NJ. That gattling gun and the spent uranium bullets sure can do the job.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

ellmoe

Jim,
   Great to hear from you. Hope everyone stays well and that boredom is your biggest problem.
;DMark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ironwood

Jim,

Thanks for your service. It looks like a sand dune or a dust storm iin the back round of the pic. ?

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Part_Timer

That's an awsome postcard.  Stay safe and keep your head down.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

farmerdoug

Keep those guys flying. 8) 8) 8)

Saw one flying around over the market today with a mess of other military jets.  Selfridge ANG Base had their air show today.  Always enjoy watching those aircraft.

You guys stay safe over there.  Thank all the guys for their outstanding service for the USA.  I salute you all. :) :)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jjmk98k

Hey guys, thanks for all the words... its good to see that! Ill post more pics as good ones come along and I am still working of my "sponsor" hat picture....

Had one of those " funny look on face" moments this morning......

As i was walking to work my maintenance officer stopped and we talked a while.... in conversations he asked "Jim, everytime I see you you're carrying your M-16 in one hand as opposed to using the sling...why?"

my response.... "Sir, if I need to use it .. i want it in my hands, not slung on my shoulder"

he looked at me with that deer in headlight look.... but he carries a pistol anyway..... I proceded to to tell the story...

see, my grandfather was in WWII and he taught me a little about hunting when i came of age and he always said..... always carry your rifle, that way when you see a deer, you dont lose time getting that rifle off your shoulder... I think it was a lesson learned fighting in Europe.....

it was also taught to the german army in WWII, always run with rifle in one hand, when you see WWII documentaries, watch and see how the germans ran with thier K98k rifles.

so I carry my M-16 just as I carry my 12 ga over / under shotgun and my bolt action .270 win hunting rifle... in my right hand....

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

DanG

Jim, I won't try and second-guess your method.  In your hand is a good place for your weapon to be.  But, I can also tell ya that when a four foot lizard runs out of the bushes at ya, that sling can come off your shoulder really, really quick. :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Part_Timer

Dang, my hunting buddy Leo went on the same "vacation" you did and tells of lizards big enough to stand flat footed and kiss a chicken. I think I'd carry my rifle in my hand too.  :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Raider Bill

Thanks for all you guys are doing for us!

Love that Warthog! Used to base some at Syracuse, NY. My friend is CSM at Ft Drum, Used to go up the to watch them live fire. Seems they can almost stop dead in the air to deliver the love! ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

logwalker

Thanks for the reality check. We tend to forget how our freedoms came to be and how fragile they have become. Be safe and thanks for your service. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ibseeker

Thank you for your service, it is appreciated and you all have my respect and good wishes.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

beenthere

jjmk98k
Sure glad you are able to keep in touch with the forum while in Iraq. Gives us a perspective that I, for one, didn't think about...that be all the support teams behind the equipment we have over there. Will be great when we can get you all home. I sent you a PM wondering how many support teams like yours that are needed for just the A-10 warthog. Maybe that is classified info, so forget if it is.

In the meantime, we are getting some good spin on the 50/50 proposal you proposed, and your USO and the FF should benefit from your "time" on the hot sand in Iraq. 
The 50/50 support of USO and FF here

thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

Two weeks ago my best friend from high school was home from the army. He spent a year in Iraq as a tank commander. The stories that you never hear about from the media are endless.

jjmk98k, thank you for your service! Keep fighting them there or they will come here for the fight.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

TexasTimbers

Many sincere thanks for your service Jim, and your attitude about it. I would like to believe that most of the men and women serving over there do have the attitude that they are doing it for love of country, and if not for that, at least to uphold the oath they swore.

I heard a radio interview with a hispanic "contientious objector" the other day who did time for refusing to serve after he swore his oath. He didn't call it that but that's what it is. Now, he is promoting his book about it and I guess profiting from the sales of it. I wanted to crawl inside the radio and grab him by the throat. If he was truly a CO fine he should not have joined and I don't want to start that argument, but he should not be writing and profiting from a book about his shameful act.

Let us know if you need a care package of anything hard to get over there. Your wife/family I am sure are carrying the load but I bet could use some help and I know many here on the FF including myself would be happy to get a couple dozen cookies/batteries/softer tissue than G.I. or whatever you want. Place your order here I know we would probably be fighting over who gets to fill it. My idea I get to mail the first one! :)

We love the US of A, the Warthog, and Warthog Mechanics! 8) 8) 8)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!