iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 blower busted

Started by larry1, December 06, 2017, 02:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry1

Sorry guys no pics.  I aquired a 230 with a 353 that's been sitting for quit some time uncovered, but did run. It is stuck (I think ) . Took the blower off and one impeller is broke with a small chunk out of it , one drive gear is sheared off and somewhere ? Was told the gear could be jammed up inside causing the engine not to turn with a 4 ' bar . Took the valve cover off and everything looks okay , sprayed release oil into it and letting it sit. Probably going to pull the engine in the spring .

bushmechanic

More than likely water seeped into the blower and froze busting the rotor, when trying to start it the gear stripped. Blowers aren't cheap, good luck!

pdxh20

Had the exact same problem with the 353 on an IH S-8 I bought last March after it sat for 3 years with no air filter cover...Made one blower out of two (bought a spare junk engine) and got 'er unstuck after draining 3+ gals of water out of the crankcase. Changed out the injectors and adjusted the valves and off she went. Runs like a clock now. I have extra drive gears but no extra rotors...
'56 American crawler crane, Komatsu mini-ex, multiple Stihl saws, '75 IH S-8 cable skidder, 2000 F450 30' bucket truck, '95 Chev 4 x 4 2500 p/u, '05 Sprinter SHC 2500 van

Thank You Sponsors!