iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberframe sawmill shed

Started by JustinW_NZ, May 26, 2017, 04:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Hi all

Wonder if someone has done a sawmill shed with one FULLY open side to allow for a mill+extension - 9m or 30feet
I was thinking of having one row of posts along the operators side of the mill (woodmizer lt-40sh) with a roof spanning over to the loader side of the mill BUT with no support other than what is in the roof.
Its basicly to keep the worst of the weather off and provide some protection to the mill and stuff store there.

I hope this make sense?
I might scribble a picture and post if that helps?

Any ideas on how far i could have a roof go from the single pole supports (at what size timbers?)
We are not in a snow zone, do get a bit of wind at times but nothing extreme.

OH - I should add on the non loader side i could have a second row of posts of some other support there if need be to make things more secure?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Don P

If you run the ridge perpendicular to the mill you can build trusses that span 30' pretty easily. The roof supports for the trusses are then at the ends of the mill rather than trying to support roof members on a 30' beam.

Dave Shepard

Jim Rogers has a photo in his gallery of a long opening made with what is, I think, a Pratt truss. I will be doing something similar, but only a 20' opening, and not over the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!