iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT35 vs Timber King 1600

Started by Poplarpete, October 09, 2018, 06:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

@ladylake  

Have you ever run a woodmizer?
Just curious if you have any experience to back up you're complaints/ theiries?

I've never run a timberking but my woodmizer does everything I ask it to 
And is a joy to run 

As for off the shelf parts. I'd rather call up the manufacturer and get what is supposed to be on the mill.
When I need a part I call WM and get the part next day. And I know it is right. No guessing if it will work and lots of time saved not researching parts. WM prices on parts are more than fair. Time is money. Down time is even more money.
No matter what mill you get things will break and need repaired.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

terrifictimbersllc

You don't have to be a Woodmizer mill owner to use their resharp service. But they only sharpen Woodmizer blades, so you pretty much need to be a Woodmizer blade owner.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

TT may well be spot on but I'd double check with your local WM dealer. I thought I read somewhere that some dealers might do other brands too. I think the re-sharpening is almost a separate business with different offices doing some things that other WM shops do not. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DPatton

I run a variety of blade manufacturers on my TK1600 including WM blades.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

farmfromkansas

First guy I took logs to, had a wm 30.  He just ran his mill and let maintenance and adjusting go.  Still made decent boards, except he cut my boards on his inch scale, instead of the 4/4 scale.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

ladylake

Quote from: PAmizerman on October 11, 2018, 08:45:09 PM
@ladylake  

Have you ever run a woodmizer?
Just curious if you have any experience to back up you're complaints/ theiries?

I've never run a timberking but my woodmizer does everything I ask it to
And is a joy to run

As for off the shelf parts. I'd rather call up the manufacturer and get what is supposed to be on the mill.
When I need a part I call WM and get the part next day. And I know it is right. No guessing if it will work and lots of time saved not researching parts. WM prices on parts are more than fair. Time is money. Down time is even more money.
No matter what mill you get things will break and need repaired.
Your right downtime is money and my mill has never been down more than 3 hours in 14000 hour, maybe that why I like it.  I have never run a WM but have had a couple saw for  me before I got mine.   When I can get the exact replacement part online like Goodyear  3 grove drive belt for $11,  up-down solenoid same brand same part number for $7.95 vs  $50 . I keep some spares on hand which results in very little down time.  My mill doesn't eat solenoid either, 2 so far in 14000 hours.  About the only thing I have to buy from TK is the computer and sensor .  Steve

I'm just listing the advantages of a TK mill , same as you WM owners do. Should be fair either way
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

alan gage

Quote from: PAmizerman on October 11, 2018, 08:45:09 PMAs for off the shelf parts. I'd rather call up the manufacturer and get what is supposed to be on the mill. When I need a part I call WM and get the part next day. And I know it is right. No guessing if it will work and lots of time saved not researching parts. WM prices on parts are more than fair. Time is money. Down time is even more money.

Not picking sides but just wanted to point out that TK is more than happy to sell you the parts that go on your mill and are quick to ship them out. When I was rebuilding my mill I called them up and ordered quite a few parts. They were all here next day. They were very helpful figuring out what I needed and have been friendly every time I called. As I learned more about working on the machine I realized many of the parts I could get at our very good local hardware store one block down the street or I could order them from Surplus Center. It was more work to figure out what I needed but it saved me money and helped me learn some things. At the time I was fixing up the mill over the winter so down-time wasn't important.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

DPatton

Quote from: alan gage on October 12, 2018, 09:50:10 AM
Quote from: PAmizerman on October 11, 2018, 08:45:09 PMAs for off the shelf parts. I'd rather call up the manufacturer and get what is supposed to be on the mill. When I need a part I call WM and get the part next day. And I know it is right. No guessing if it will work and lots of time saved not researching parts. WM prices on parts are more than fair. Time is money. Down time is even more money.

Not picking sides but just wanted to point out that TK is more than happy to sell you the parts that go on your mill and are quick to ship them out. When I was rebuilding my mill I called them up and ordered quite a few parts. They were all here next day. They were very helpful figuring out what I needed and have been friendly every time I called. As I learned more about working on the machine I realized many of the parts I could get at our very good local hardware store one block down the street or I could order them from Surplus Center. It was more work to figure out what I needed but it saved me money and helped me learn some things. At the time I was fixing up the mill over the winter so down-time wasn't important.

Alan
Your right Alan, when my mill was new if I had a problem TK always replaced parts under warrant shipped next day at no cost and no questions asked. TK's service technician's have been amazing at answering questions and troubleshooting for me as well. Now that my mill is past its warranty period the TK reps and service techs are still as helpful as ever and they still ship me parts and or blades next day on my door step. You just cant beat that kind of service. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

dean herring

I know it possible to add up/down backstops, two plane clamp and toe boards to a TK 1600 jus what would it cost
That the only con I have with mine.
Can I get the hardware and install myself?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Poplarpete

Thanks for all the great feedback! Honestly, ended up feeling there was no wrong decision between the 2. My partner and I put a deposit down on a WM LT35... I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Southside

You will be very happy with your mill. I see the latest version has the same design debarker as the 40 does now, that is a nice upgrade over mine. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!