iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

alternative to retrofitting set-works on Timber King 1600

Started by TractorBoy78, November 05, 2014, 11:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TractorBoy78

I bought a used TK 1600 in Feb of this year.  Mill had 19 hrs on it when purchased and now 108.  Per Taz's suggestion, I had the stops welded which made a huge difference.  I cannot say enough about how helpful the factory has been in helping guide me as I stumble up the learning curve.  My unit does not have setworks.  With more hours, I should be able improve my thickness consistency but am not there yet. 

I can take the mill to factory and have setworks installed which is the most straight forward way to upgrade.  However;  I have been in manufacturing before and understand the importance of learning things manually first.

Has anyone tried mounting a laser pointer to help use of scale for thickness accuracy?

I have place a call to Cemarline and Thomas Industrial Controls.  Any experience with these folks?

I really like the 1600 and am committed to improving my skill.

ladylake

I might install a digital read out which can be bought fairly reasonable.  Keep in mind even with the best setworks logs with tension will not be perfect.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

reswire

When I owned my 1600, I purchased a digital measuring device from a national supply store.  Worked great.  A gentleman on this forum gave me the address, I'll check to see if I can find it. 
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

kensfarm

I have the 1600 w/ the simple setworks..  but I'll still take the tape measure and pencil mark the cuts when needed.  Welcome to the forum!

Doug Wis

Reswire ;   that sounds like a neat idea. Can you give more details on the digital readout setup. I replaced the little plexiglass piece with the line on it with a pointer which helped a lot.  But still could be better.  Thanks
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

fstedy

Grizzly Tools has several priced around $100 not bad for a digital readout.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Thank You Sponsors!