iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scissor Truss & Racking

Started by vtburt, May 03, 2017, 08:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtburt

Hi all,
First, I just posted this over on the TFGuild forum, so I apologize to anyone who finds this as a duplicate.

Ok, I am am considering designing something vaguely similar to this:

I am having a hard time determining how a design like this resists racking in the direction of the trusses, without any knee braces in that direction.

The simplest answer is that this is not good design...is that true?

Otherwise, obviously the truss will resist thrust, but what is going on at the plate interface to stop the whole thing from being sent sideways with a broadside gust of wind?

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their wealth of knowledge and insight.

Cheers!
Taylor

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum Taylor.  I agree with your assessment, it doesn't look like the best design.  There doesn't appear to be anything keeping the trusses from rolling, and the whole roof could move away from the camera view with not much trouble at all.
Woodland Mills HM130

Ljohnsaw

Perhaps something is missing from this picture?  What is the intended use of this frame?  Could it be a porch/patio cover?  If so, maybe behind the camera is the house that it is attached to and would keep it from wanting to roll out away from or toward the camera.

I was thinking the OP was asking about a sideways stability of this structure.  It looks to me that there is a lot of faith in the ground attachment of the posts to resist a sideways force since there is no bracing in that direction as well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ChugiakTinkerer

Yep, that too.  I wasn't even looking at that.  The problem would be the same with a king truss or similar, but at least then you could bring in a knee brace to connect the the posts to a tie beam.

To sum up, there doesn't appear to be anything in this picture preventing the trusses racking North-South (assume camera view is north) and the posts from racking East-West.  Does that capture it?
Woodland Mills HM130

btulloh

I'd like to hear what an engineer has to say about that frame.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!