iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compression Tester

Started by inspectorwoody, November 05, 2006, 10:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Is there a different compression tester made just for small engines or will one you use for vehicles work just fine?

Thanks

Gadget

Cut4fun

I use a $25 one that is made for both and can be bought at wally world or advanced auto . You just have to leave the brass adpater off  for checking small engines and screw it straight in without the brass adapters. Has alway worked and been accurate for me.

sawguy21

I have an old automotive tester that works fine most of the time. However I don't have adapters to fit the newer mini plug threads. On two strokes I pull the muffler to check for scoring and check the compression by feel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

I tried using my car compression tester on my Husky 3120 and I could not get  it beyond 75 psi because of the resistance. Pulling with two hands with both feet on the saw I could barely pull the cord with  the compression relief valve off.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

macpower

Just be aware that most small 4 stroke engines have a compression relief. What you get for a reading may or may not have any significance. Best diagnosis would be done with a leak down test.
Whatever you use, on an L head engine, be sure that the adapter does not extend too far through the head as it may crash the valves.
On 2 stroke be sure your tester has a good schrader valve in it. Displacement volume is so small that some of the automotive styles with long hoses will require a lot of pulling to get a good reading.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Thank You Sponsors!