iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood saw

Started by Splinter, January 29, 2011, 03:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinter

The old husky 45 is getting tired and my cutting has gotten more serious lately so looking to get a new saw this week.

I'm 48 and cutting mostly small logs, firewood, and pulp.  90% of my cuts will probably be firewood bucking and limbing after felling.

I think weight will be an issue, really can't swing a heavy saw all day without getting worn out. Have run an 18" till now but may try a 20" i'm tall.

Here is my short list what do you think?

346xp
357xp
ms362

JHBC

Those all look like good choices.  I've only had experience with the Stihl (361), very good saw, perfect for firewood. 
If prices are roughly equal, the 357xp might be the best, on paper anyway.  It gives up 3 cc's but is a pound lighter than the Stihl.
My guess is that the 346 might be a bit small for a 20".  But probably the best choice overall if you stay witha 18"
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

tyb525

I use an 036 with a 20", it's over 10 years old now but it works real good. Not too heavy, but has plenty of power for the 20".
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

TessiersFarm

I ran, run Stihl 036 and 361's for quite a while cutting firewood and saw logs.  Awsome saws, nice power and easy to run.  I most recently bought a Husky 372 and it is awsome.  I acutually found when I switched from the 026 to the 036 the heavier saw was easier to use, so I would be real sceptical of the smaller saw.  I think you will be well served with either the 357 or 362, I would shy away from the 346, but I would look hard at the 372.  Weight wise is close to the 362 but lots of power.  

Most important is the dealer, that is the only reason I went from Stihl to Husky.  See if they have a used one they would be willing to let you use or rent for a day or 2, or check out some rental yards.  These are all popular saws they should be out there.  

Where are you located?  Maybe check with members here for saws to try.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Sawz all

A guy at my work bought a 357 and says it is great. I bought his old 272 that was wore out and he swore by that saw. He says the 357 is lighter and will cut the common stuff as good and is less stress then the 272. He says the 272 would have beat it in the big wood hands down thugh.

If you were going to go out and buy a saw I'd say ms361, husky 359 or 357.  The 357 will perform better then the 359 out of the box but the 359 is a hell of a saw. I never ran a ms361 but good sources tell me it is nice.

Kevion
Some come to laugh the past away, some come to make it just one more day.."J.G"

cheyenne

I love the 359's........ I run 3 & never I've never had a problem with them  8) 8) 8)....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

weimedog

For me..its what ever the last pile of parts to running saw project got finished...that's the best firewood saw of the day! So right now its a Husqvarna 61 with a 272XP top end and Husqvarna 238 for the small stuff....and there are a pile of other projects on the shelf for back up when and if the current firewood project saw comes apart...can't beat that for support! Spare saws..(Always carry a Stock Husqvarna 455 or 365 for backup if I am too far away from the house to make a fast swap)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

miking

I've been real happy with my Echo saws for all types of cutting including firewood. I bought my cs 680 more or less as a consolation because I couldn't afford a 440 and have  to drive to CHicago even to pick up a similarly sized Husky and look at it, but I haven't had an ounce of regret. My 600P has been a steal of a deal and compares well in power and speed to a 361 on youtube clips and is considerably more affordable.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

sharkey

I agree with Miking, I like the Echo saws.  I think you get more for your money with Echo.  My favorite is the cs520.  11-12 pounds full of fuel and ready to go.

miking

Quote from: sharkey on January 31, 2011, 04:51:59 PM
I agree with Miking, I like the Echo saws.  I think you get more for your money with Echo.  My favorite is the cs520.  11-12 pounds full of fuel and ready to go.

I have a 530 as well and it's my #1 go-to saw
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

shag

I cut about 10 cord of fire wood each year and my 036 works wonders with a 20" bar...I had a LOT of big hickory this year and it went through with ease. I was a bit worried about weight too but I have extensive hardware holding my back together and I can handle the 036.
*STIHL 036 Pro* *Husqvaqrna 51 and an old friend 288*
õ¿õ  If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself ☻
ô¿ô My spelling and typing sucks....get over it!!

Al_Smith

I have an 034 with an 036 cylinder and it is a nice saw .Plenty of power and relatively light for 60 cc's .

If it were I looking for a firewooder I'd pick a 60 over a 3 cuber . Now the 3 cubers have enough power but that extra 10 cc's sure does come in handy at times .

ErikC

Just happens I have an old 036 PRO I like a lot for firewood as well. I keep it in my truck almost all the time, just in case. It has cleared a number of miles of trail packed on a mule as well. Hard to beat as an all around saw, in that size range.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

zzrcanuck

I have a 357xp and an older generation 346xp(45cc) and if I could only keep one it would be the 357. It's heavier but the extra torque and power makes it a little more versatile.
I haven't tried the new edition 346xp but it is apparently much better than the old one.

ed in idaho

i've got an echo 530 i really like put a skip tooth chain on it and it really helps when cutting the bigger stuff

Ed

dsgsr

I was pretty surprised to hear my local Husky dealer say he couldn't keep the New 346xp on the shelf. Turns out a lot of the pro loggers around here like them for felling and limbing. Dealer say's the New 346's turn at a higher rpm than any other saw he has, it's light weight and the loggers aren't worn out as much at the end of the day. Course, they all are still running 70cc's and above on the yard.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Al_Smith

It just depends on what you're cutting . I've cut little dead pecker poles with a 200T.

You always get those standing dead 6-8 inch trees in the woods .They're dandy firewood and you certainly don't need a 100 cc saw to cut them . On the other hand you wouldn't attack  a 3 foot oak with a 2 cubic inch saw .I did a 30 inch soft maple once but that's a long story . :D

RandyMac

I have run two 346NEs, I liked them, a lot.

I have attacked larger trees with an Echo 302, great fun, but not something I would do all day.

I gotta figure out this pic posting thing.
Have you heard about the guy who claims to have felled 2 million trees?

nmurph

i HAD a 357, and while it is a nice saw, it is heavier than the spec sheet suggest, weighing in at just shy of 13 lbs, as does the 359.

i have a 361, and it is a nice saw for the person who only has one saw. weight is pretty close to the factory specs.

if a 45 has been getting the job done, and given the description of the wood you mostly cut, i would go with a 346. it is a very impressive saw, packing lots of power in a small, easy to handle package. however, to be optimized the saw need to have the muffler opened up and an unlimited coil installed. the coils are readily available on ebay for ~$30 and take about 10 minutes to swap out. the muffler can be modded in about 30 minutes using a deflector from a husky 288. with these two mods done, it will cut as fast as a 361 and run a 20" 3/8" bar with no problem. these changes will likely void your warranty, but if a saw runs without problems for the first hour out of the box, then it is highly unlikely you will need your warranty. if you are comfortable with used saws, 346's can be found for ~$300. i have two runners and have to more in a box, one of which will be running today, and the other is waiting for a new top-end. they are the first saw i grab. if the wood is smaller than 12" hardwood, then a 346 is all you will ever need.

SawTroll

If you used an 18" on the 45, a 20" on a 346xp will work much better, but it is far from ideal on that saw.  ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!