iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choking Logs

Started by GreenhornChoker, February 03, 2009, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenhornChoker

i'm new to logging and i need some help.

I'm going to be choking logs for my friend's buisness and i need some advice to make sure i don't perish during the process.

missourilogger is my friend and hes going to teach me how to do it. He knows what hes doing but i still would like some help.

We are skiddin logs with a tractor.

any advice? :-\

thanks
Long Live Food!

missourilogger

i Was here

and here

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
A little about what you mean by "skiddin with a tractor" would help.

Tractor size, 3pt, winch, terrain ???

Pic of tractor would help.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

missourilogger

Quote from: beenthere on February 03, 2009, 04:50:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.
A little about what you mean by "skiddin with a tractor" would help.

Tractor size, 3pt, winch, terrain ???

Pic of tractor would help.

its a 3 pt deutz. I think it got 125hp. I am not for sure though. Our terrain is a little hilly.
What we use is a set of heavy duty log tongs or a 20-30 foot long chain if we need to pull one out of the creek. Every now and then we will use a cable choker but we keep breakin them.
i Was here

and here

missourilogger

i think it is a 2x4 dx 60-90 some where in there i would get a pic but it is at our site
i Was here

and here

stonebroke

How big are your cable chokers and how do you break them?

Stonebroke

thecfarm

GreenhornChoker,welcome to the forum.You said missourlogger knows what he's doing.My advice would be to listen to what he says and do what he does.   ;D  Are you just helping or getting paid?
I'm curious on the breaking of the cable chokers too.I have never used them,but have seen them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customdave

Boy I'm courious too, are these regular logging chokers with the steel slip yoke on the end? I use mine behind front wheel assist tractor & when the tractor can't pull I hook up to D-6 Cat , I've never broke one !     customdave
Love the smell of sawdust

Bro. Noble

Chokers are 1/2 in or 9/16 in in our area.  We replace ours fairly often because of kinking (makes them hard to get under a log)  or broken wires that make them painful to handle.  We have a 20,000 # winch and have been able to tear up lots of stuff,  but have never broken a chocker.   Perhaps you are using them in a way they aren't meant to be used.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

missourilogger

he is getting paid.
thesize tractor we are using is a dx 120 2x4

the chokers are homade ones, i think they are 3/8 or 5/8 i aint for sure
i Was here

and here

wi woodcutter

I would get rid of those home made cables before someone gets hurt or killed. You can get chokers from bailey's for a good price. Saving a couple dollars on chokers is not worth get hurt over.  3/8" sounds real small to me, I think the ones we have are at least 1/2". A snapping cable can hurt you real bad, try to stay safe.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Ron Wenrich

We gave up on cable chokers years ago.  Most guys still running any type of choker system has gone to chains. 

The drawback of chains is that they aren't rigid enough to put under the log.  There is a piece that is made to put under the log and pull the chain through.  I think its made from 1/4" round stock and has a hook on the end.  Bailey probably sells them, or you can make one.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

york

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 04, 2009, 05:34:10 AM
We gave up on cable chokers years ago.  Most guys still running any type of choker system has gone to chains. 

The drawback of chains is that they aren't rigid enough to put under the log.  There is a piece that is made to put under the log and pull the chain through.  I think its made from 1/4" round stock and has a hook on the end.  Bailey probably sells them, or you can make one.

I use chain,with the 5/16 in. dia. rod on end,about foot long-chain on other end has a hook called a "pewag" i think what they call it...got them from northeast imp-not cheap,if you loose one you will be looking for it..
Albert

snowman

I have a 3 ft length of rebar with a slight bend in it and a couple of chain links welded to the end. On stubborn logs i hook chain to it and push it through. I keep it painted hunter orange. ;D

Norm

I use chain chokers that have a long metal rod on the end. I've never broke one but have bent the rods. I've also used the cable chokers and did not care for them. Between frayed ends and one snapping and lashing back I keep them hung on the mill shed as decoration.

GreenhornChoker

Quote from: thecfarm on February 03, 2009, 07:55:02 PM
GreenhornChoker,welcome to the forum.You said missourlogger knows what he's doing.My advice would be to listen to what he says and do what he does.   ;D  Are you just helping or getting paid?
I'm curious on the breaking of the cable chokers too.I have never used them,but have seen them.

yea i am getting paid but i'm not sure how much yet.
Long Live Food!

Dale Hatfield

I use cable chokers on the skidder and chains on the dozer. A chain choker system is great on rocky ground and on small poles.
We carry a hooker with us  bendable rod with small upward bent hook on the end. Push it under hook end of chain and pull it through .
Cable chokers can be a bugger sometimes to get under a log.  Have to dig  scratch poke and pull.
Chain chokers must be bought from logging supply as regular chain will snap.
Paint em baby blue as they tend to get lost or left behind.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Maineloggerkid

If they are well kept and replaced when needed, I actually prefer cable chokers anyday.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

ErikC

Cable is the norm around here. Even on huge logs, with the right size cable, they don't break. For safety they need replaced when they get frayed a little. How you hook them up makes a difference on how long they last. I never broke one that was in good shape, I have broke chain.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Maineloggerkid

Ya, I don't know anyone around here that uses chinas on a skidder. I have them on my tractor, but only because they came with it.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

GreenhornChoker

does anyone have or know of any good vids on how to use log tongs?
Long Live Food!

missourilogger

Quote from: GreenhornChoker on February 04, 2009, 07:16:42 PM
i will show you
i Was here

and here

york

Albert

missourilogger

Quote from: york on February 04, 2009, 07:45:39 PM
Quote from: missourilogger on February 04, 2009, 07:25:28 PM
Quote from: GreenhornChoker on February 04, 2009, 07:16:42 PM
i will show you

You guys are funny...
hey i take them as compliment (i think thats how you spell it) :D :D :D :D :D :D
i Was here

and here

thecfarm

This is what I finally made up,

I got sick of digging under the log with a near by stick.I like the curve I put on it.I think it's easier than a straight one.This is a little more than 2 feet,probaly closer to 2½ feet long.Made out of ¼ inch round stock and a chain link.I made it up last fall.Needs some red paint on it,so I don't lose it.

This is showing the double ended snap hook.I have 10 chains and I find having one of these is easier than having one on each chain.Usually if I'm using more than 3 chains,the tress are small enough to be moved to get a chain under them.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!