iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New CBN Band Sharpener from Suffolk

Started by musikwerke, January 07, 2008, 05:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musikwerke

I spoke with Tom Davies at Suffolk Machinery today and they are expecting to complete the testing of a new CBN band blade sharpener in a couple of months.  As soon as it is available they plan to post a short video clip on their website.  To start with, they are only going to offer a grinding wheel for the TimberWolf profile.  I'd like to think that Wood-Mizer would consider this enough competition to change their policy of only offering their CBN sharpener outside the USA.
John

ely

Dan_Shade

it has a fancy grinding wheel that does not need to be shaped, and typically grinds the entire tooth profile.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

When you talk to him again ask him why they never reply to my emails. I've requeste information on a used sharpener twice now without even a sneeze back.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

musikwerke

For the record, I do not have any unique connection with anyone at Suffolk. I just happened to exchange a number of e-mails and phone calls with them last year in trying to determine why I was having trouble with my mill after installing their urethane belts. I found Tom to be more than helpful and he certainly is interested in hearing of any band mill owner's experiences with what works for them in the way of blades, guides, lube, etc. My experience so far is - they are as great to deal with as Wood-Mizer.  Try him again at tom@suffolkmachinery.com or if you call, and it's a toll-free niumber, chances are he'll be the person who answers.
(By the way, my problem was an incorrect belt size not the urethane belt itself.)
John

LeeB

That wasn't aimed at you. I was just taking a poke at suffolk. I don't guess I'm supposed to do that. Probably be in trouble again ::)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

musikwerke

LeeB - I didn't take it that way at all.   Once in a while a person has problems right off the bat with a company or individual that everyone else raves about.  It's happened to me it does leave a sour taste in your mouth.   
John

LeeB

It's a shame too because I really like the sharpener.

LOGDOG

Has Suffolk commented on what the pricing will be for the CBN Sharpener? My experience with them in the past has been excellent. I like their blades a lot but found it difficult to dress the profile of the blade with any sharpener and cam system I've previously owned. The cbn would fix that though.

LOGDOG

musikwerke

The price he quoted me was "around $4500.00 for the sharpener and setter" so I guess that would mean the sharpener alone would be around $3500.00.  Not cheap. 

Does anyone know the price of the Wood-Mizer CBN sharpener?
John

rewimmer

I worked on machinery, machine design, cutting tool design, precision grinding,etc. for about 40 years. CBN has been around for a while and you can have a wheel contoured into a profile or shape and the CBN applied to the contour. Do a Google for "CBN grinding wheels". Below is a Idea of how CBN is used.   

CBN Types
Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN) abrasives are used for precise grinding
of tool and die steels, superalloys, stainless steels, and other
hardened alloy steels. Abrasive Technology offers the following
standard CBN types:
Description
Uncoated CBN. Used for light to medium duty applications
or where the application involves large grinding contact areas.
Also used in vitreous bond systems.

Nickel coated CBN. Most popular CBN abrasive used with
the resin bond system. Well suited for most light to medium
duty applications.
Nickel coated semi-friable CBN. Used for heavy-duty applications
where extra long wheel life or fine surface finish is required.

As far as Wood - Mizer not selling their "OUT DATED" technology, just have a company here in the US make a wheel to fit the arbor on your sharpening machine and match the profile you send them. Any wheel as we call it will "load up". That is the build up of metal coming off the material you are grinding and will coat or fill in between the cutting substrate on the wheel.  This will happen weather it is a aluminum oxide, diamond or cbn wheel and will have to be cleaned or dressed. When the wheel is loaded it will cause excessive heat and will  burn and leave large burs . Most machine supply houses have sources for all types of technical services like the application above.
Robert in Virginia

Dan_Shade

it will take a modified cam in order for a CBN wheel to work, if you don't change the wheel, as it advances, it will grind off the back of the tooth, you need a cam that "chops" the gullet.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rewimmer

Hello Dan_Shade,
I have a question  about your response and I am asking it to learn something and not to question your knowledge.
If your CBN wheel has the same contour or shape as the standard  aluminum oxide wheel, why should you have to change cams?  I have been learning all I can about the setters and sharpening systems because we will be purchasing them hopefully in the next 60 to 90 days. I do know that If you design a cam and it has a dwell at the end it should be shorter on a diamond or cbn wheel because they build up heat faster than a aluminum oxide wheel. I believe I would prefer the oxide wheel at this time because it cuts much cooler and you can control the buildup and profile. You can also purchase oxide wheels in many grades and hardness.
Robert in Virginia

Dan_Shade

the CBN wheels that I've seen grind out the face, gullet, and back of the tooth all at once: the wheel is the same width as the tooth spacing. 

sparks

Keep watching the Wood-Mizer sponser page. I will have info on the release of the personal CBN sharpener as well as the semi industrial sharpener by Friday.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

LeeB

Squeaky wheels get greased eh? Looks like enough noise was made in the right place to get results.

WH_Conley

Good thing ya spoke up Sparks, I was about to call the other guys. ;D
Bill

musikwerke

Sparks, I have been putting off buying a sharpener for close to a year now hoping you guys would change your mind. Even bought another box of (WM) blades to carry me over.  Hope you're not just toying with us.
John

amberwood

I am one of the lucky ones from the "outside" who does have a CBN sharpener. A 10 year old WM machine, I could not imagine sharpening any other way.  The replacement CBN wheels are not cheap, but do last forever..like years. I use 9deg and 4deg profiles and can convert from one to another as a part of the normal sharpening process. As long as there has not been any damage from foreign objects such as nails or clamps then it will normally take 2 laps to take enough material off for a 100% clean edge. Not sure what comparative versions are going to be avail here or there but I am waiting on a new industrial version to arrive late Feb..more POWER faster sharpening.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

WH_Conley

Hey Sparks, it's Saturday, where ya at? The suspense is killin me.
Bill

musikwerke

Me too, especially after reading amberwood's post.  I have a feeling it's coming.  He may just have run into a snag with upper management.
John

sparks

Should have the final word today or tomorrow. Thanks all.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!