iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 034 av super

Started by artmo, January 08, 2012, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artmo

have had this saw a long time-bought new. has had moderate use at best. have other saws to take up the slack. question/statement is : am thinking about replacing it. although it runs super it is not a new saw and would upgrade for the right saw. how does the 034 stand in the scheme of saws? i heat solely with wood and cut several cords a year to stay ahead of the aging game. all hardwoods-hickory,oak,ash,walnut,locust,etc. the 034 is well maintained and probably would run for some time.what are some viable options? art

sawguy21

If you want to stay with Stihl the MS362 would be a nice replacement. Lighter and more power plus your  bars and chains will fit.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lumberjack48

artmo i would run my 034 another 20 yrs, let the 034 live its life out  :)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

nmurph

Quote from: artmo on January 08, 2012, 08:38:12 PM
have had this saw a long time-bought new. has had moderate use at best. have other saws to take up the slack. question/statement is : am thinking about replacing it. although it runs super it is not a new saw and would upgrade for the right saw. how does the 034 stand in the scheme of saws? i heat solely with wood and cut several cords a year to stay ahead of the aging game. all hardwoods-hickory,oak,ash,walnut,locust,etc. the 034 is well maintained and probably would run for some time.what are some viable options? art

I will buy it if it is for sale.

Cut4fun

The 034 super is basically the 036 62cc. You would be crazy to get rid of that saw.

Keep it and enjoy that chainsaw. They dont build quality and easy to fix (work on) like that one anymore.

artmo

okay.okay i get the message! will keep running the 034! may just look at the 362 anyway- for backup. art

T Welsh

You could wipe it done with Armorall  :D It makes them look new again 8)
It might make you feel better! since everybody talked you in to keeping an oldie but goodie ;D  Tim

Al_Smith

In the broad scheme of things it isn't that old of a saw .

Yeah I know 90 percent of people think if something is over 5 years old it's an antique but that's not neccessarily the case .They're good firewood type saws for sure .

lumberjack48

I put 20 to 30 cords a day on the landing with a 034, it is a good logging saw.

The day i got hurt i was carrying my 034, the wife was running skidder, we had 140 nice Balsam tree length on the landing, about 23 to 25 cords, two Semi loads.

I fell timber for two skidders with a 034, 40 to 60+ cds a day
I would run 10 to 12 tanks of gas a day felling

If i could go back logging, for saws i would buy, 034 super, and a 044 Mag. The 038 Mag II is one of the best, just a little heavy, best landing saw i ever had, right with the 90 Jonsered. I used a 16" bar on less i got in to a lot of 30" wood.
The best day i had with one skidder, the wife and i put 52 cds of TL Aspen on the landing with the S8 International, i was carrying a 266 Husky.

I would not buy one of these new saws !!!!
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

Of the three Stihls mentioned the 034 and 044 are of the newer but now old designs and the 038 Mag being pretty much older design .

While a variation of the 038 Mag is still sold it is not available to dealers in the USA or Canada which is a shame .They along with the 044/Ms 440 still have a following and if Stihl or someone else can supply parts they will be used for quite some time by many ,myself included .

FWIW residing in my shed as I type rests an 038 mag that spent over 20 hard years of  service for a tree service  company .It still runs and runs well now but retired and given to me who kept it running the last ten years it saw in service  .It's one of my next hot rod saws  when I get around to it .

Thank You Sponsors!