iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 056 AV Super

Started by POC, February 12, 2014, 07:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

This is my great-grandfathers saw, he used it for years in his timber cutting.  My dad has used the saw for years now too.  A few years ago my sister got dad a Husky 350, it is smaller and lighter, much better for cutting firewood!
Anyway, I was trying to use the 056 yesterday and it kept cutting out, not sure what the problem could be.  I haven't tried anything yet as I have my 290 and was able to get most of what I wanted done with it. But I want to get the 056 running right.
It would start and run fine, then while cutting it would cut out for a split second, then run for a little while, then cut out a little longer, run, cut out, sputter and die.  It made me think of something electrical, but????
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

wood monger

That's how I discovered the FF. I had a 70's 056 that kept cutting out, was never positive but assumed the coil was bad. Stihl deemed the saw obsolete and didn't have parts. There were modifications you could do with a different coil and flywheel to update it but seemed too involved. Also what do you do when the next thing breaks. Good luck. I really enjoyed that saw, had a ton of torque, was a bad mammer jammer.

wood monger

If you do a search for stihl 056, you could probably find the threads.

POC

And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

treechopper40

when I was in my early teens my dad had 2 056 stihls one magnum and one super we used them to cut 4ft on the header and them things ran forever they cut thousands of cords of 4ft pulp mostly hardwood and popple but they did have weak ignitions check ebay also 045 parts will work too good luck
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

ZeroJunk

Probably has the Bosch ignition which is no longer available. You can change it to SEM and the module can be found for about $100. But, you have to change the flywheel too, and it might cost as much as the module since everybody has scoffed them up to make that change. You might check and see if your crankshaft has a lobe on it. Some guys convert them back to points using 045 or similar parts.

Wallys World

My 056 had a problem with the rubber busings the hold the case to the motor. One was worn enough causing it to go further under a load than it was spose too. It was shorting out the coil. I still have mine and run it with a 28" bar on it. Bought a "parts" saw because as mentioned before parts are getting hard to find, but search the internet for dealers with out of stock parts.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

brettl

Put an ad on your local craigslist. Wanted: Old Stihl Saws, something to that effect. I'd mention the 056 obviously, since it is what you want, but leave it a bit open to other models. The reason I say this is that I've done the same thing in my area(I'm looking for 041 parts) and often people will have saws that just need a little tlc, but you'll be able to pick them up for $20 or so much of the time. If I find one I don't particularly need but the price is right, I'll pick it up as possible trade material for one I am looking for. Also, search Onecraigs, it's a search engine that lets you search craiglist in all the US. Good luck.

gary courtney

sounds like coil . around 80 dollars on ebay. most any part can be found on there. I own 056 mag 056super   

Thank You Sponsors!