iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS590 first run.

Started by Andyshine77, March 24, 2014, 09:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyshine77

Quote from: Ianab on April 01, 2014, 05:05:44 AM
Exactly, seems like a decent saw for a decent price. Lots of folks are looking for a saw like that for firewood and part time use.

Might not set the chainsaw world on fire, but it looks like a good solid tool, at a good price. Sort of like a Toyota Corolla of the chainsaw world? Nothing exotic, but it just works. So it's worth looking at.

So it won't beat a tuned up MS36x, but at least it's in the same ballpark.  ;)  Probably match a MS31x? But it's cheaper... Take that out cutting firewood and you need not be embarrassed.

Ian

With the mm the 590 should eat a 361 for lunch, and run right with a 362. The 361 in the video is ported.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 01, 2014, 09:03:37 AM
Very informative thread, thanks
Is this the successor to the CS600P?
I like mine but as I have posted before the only issue is that the bar works loose every tank of fuel.
After reading this thread, i plan to do a MM on my 600 and to re tune as i think i am running TOO lean.

never had any issues with a bar getting loose on a saw. Are you tightening the nuts properly, and lifting the nose of the bar when doing so?
Andre.

JohnG28

Quote from: Andyshine77 on April 01, 2014, 12:48:12 PM
Quote from: Ianab on April 01, 2014, 05:05:44 AM
Exactly, seems like a decent saw for a decent price. Lots of folks are looking for a saw like that for firewood and part time use.

Might not set the chainsaw world on fire, but it looks like a good solid tool, at a good price. Sort of like a Toyota Corolla of the chainsaw world? Nothing exotic, but it just works. So it's worth looking at.

So it won't beat a tuned up MS36x, but at least it's in the same ballpark.  ;)  Probably match a MS31x? But it's cheaper... Take that out cutting firewood and you need not be embarrassed.

Ian

With the mm the 590 should eat a 361 for lunch, and run right with a 362. The 361 in the video is ported.

Are you saying a 362 is quicker than a 361? I had thought the 361 was the stronger saw, stock especially?  Maybe I'm wrong.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

Yes the 362 is stronger than the 361. I've owned both and have done quite a bit of testing between the two saws, and the 362 is stronger and has more torque. The 362 like most new saws are tuned lean out of box, and most dealers won't fiddle with the limiters and tune the saw correctly, so often they don't run as well as they should. The M-tronic models will resolve that issue.
Honestly I've never been a big fan of the 361, they had wobbly AV, poor filtration and lacked torque IMHO. However they were light, simple and reliable. The 362 is a better engineered saw. The 562 I ran was also not all that impressive either. Some say it wasn't a good representation of the model, which may very well be true.
Andre.

JohnG28

I don't have much run time on a 362, tried one out when I had the chance not long ago. It did feel torquey,  mid range especially,  where I do think the 361 lacks some. But the 361 is a fine saw, I wouldn't consider selling mine and it just has a mm. The air filter is the only real bad design I'd say. Never thought bad of the anti vibe though.  To each his own I guess. Now the cm model should be interesting,  if like to run all the new saws with it but doubt I'll have much chance any time soon.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

Chainsaw gtg season is here, they're normally a few every year in you neck of the woods in fact. Good people, food and every type of saw you could imagine.
Andre.

petefrom bearswamp

Andy on bar tightening, yes and yes.
Been operating chain saws since the days of the 6-24 and 7-21 Homelites (1958)
I'm sure some of you other old buggers remember these saws fondly.
Bars have always loosened but this Echo seems to do it sooner than any other saw I have owned or run.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ladylake

Pete
  Is it using enough oil, maybe turn it up a little.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Andyshine77

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 02, 2014, 09:00:57 AM
Andy on bar tightening, yes and yes.
Been operating chain saws since the days of the 6-24 and 7-21 Homelites (1958)
I'm sure some of you other old buggers remember these saws fondly.
Bars have always loosened but this Echo seems to do it sooner than any other saw I have owned or run.
Pete

Well I really don't know what to tell you, I've never had that problem with any saw. So far I've ran about 5 tanks of fuel through my 590 and the bar surly hasn't come loose. Make sure all the surfaces are clean before tightening her down.

By any chance are you torqueing on the saw really hard in the cut?
Andre.

JohnG28

I think Pete had a topic on his issue a while ago, and no matter what anyone could possibly come up with the problem remained,  if I'm correct Pete? Was definitely something out of the normal.

petefrom bearswamp

John you are correct.
Steve the oil tank is virtually empty every tank of gas.
I have even tried stippling the bar with a punch to make a better grabbing surface.
This is not a major problem only annoying.
To ask my question again is this saw the successor to the cs600P?
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

MikeZ

I bought an Echo 590 today. Had to replace a 650 some idiot left on splitter in the wrong place, must have nudged linkage going to tractor while getting ready to unhook. DanG. What a saw for the money!!!!! Has a comp release and chain oiler only works when chain runs. Very happy with this purchase. Thanks to everybody for posting their thoughts on this saw. Helped make up my mind. Looked at bigger models but for couple hundred bucks more, came back to this Timberwolf. 8)
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Andyshine77

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 02, 2014, 06:26:36 PM
John you are correct.
Steve the oil tank is virtually empty every tank of gas.
I have even tried stippling the bar with a punch to make a better grabbing surface.
This is not a major problem only annoying.
To ask my question again is this saw the successor to the cs600P?
Pete

No it's simply a more affordable version.

Could you take some pics of the bar studs on your 590. Honestly this is likely an easy fix. Something has to be preventing the bar from being pinched correctly. This happened to me one time when using bar adapters on a Husky running a Stihl ES bar. The adapters that fit over the bar studs were too wide and prevented the side cover from pinching the bar fully.   
Andre.

old 030

i had the chance to run a new 590 that was sent to us as a demo almost a full year ago, it ran just as well as my 600p (also new), so i sold my 600p and will buy a 590 in the near future, not that i need it, but for what i can get one for and how well they can be made to run, it's a no brainer................. ;)

sharkey

Noticed that the 600p has 19mm nuts on the bar studs whereas one of the 590's I looked at on Ebay had the small 13mm nuts on the studs.  I dont know if all the 590-600-620 saws come with different sized bar nuts, but you might want to check.  Vibration may loosen those smaller nuts? 

petefrom bearswamp

thanks andy, I plan to work on the saw today doing a jet adjustment and MM will check the studs to see if the threads go all the way.
pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

ladylake

Pete
  If you oil tank is empty after every tank it could be getting empty before you run out of gas, maybe turn the oiler down a little. If it's not a mechanical problem.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

My son and I bucked up about 8  to 10 trees tonight all Sugar maple.
Ranging from 10 to 14 butt dia.
He came up after work at 4:15 and we cut until 6:30
Too muddy to skid now.
I haven't checked the bar tension yet but will tomorrow.
We have been using only Ash since 2009 and boy does the maple work the saw harder.
Steve dont know if the tank is empty but it akes a good bit of oil each tank.
Looked at the muffler today but it intimidated me and I only took the what appeared to be a butterfly piece off of the muff.
The studs have plenty of threads for tightening th ebar.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Andyshine77

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 03, 2014, 07:59:47 PM
My son and I bucked up about 8  to 10 trees tonight all Sugar maple.
Ranging from 10 to 14 butt dia.
He came up after work at 4:15 and we cut until 6:30
Too muddy to skid now.
I haven't checked the bar tension yet but will tomorrow.
We have been using only Ash since 2009 and boy does the maple work the saw harder.
Steve dont know if the tank is empty but it akes a good bit of oil each tank.
Looked at the muffler today but it intimidated me and I only took the what appeared to be a butterfly piece off of the muff.
The studs have plenty of threads for tightening th ebar.

Are you talking about the chain getting loose or the bar getting loose?
Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!