Previous topic - Next topic

AdkStihl

Anyone here got one? How do like it?
I got one showing up here tomorrow NIB

;)
J.Miller Photography

Straightgrain

smiley_hellow_im_here

I recently bought a new one with a semi-skip chain & 32" bar...and it is awesome!

Cuts as if it is a light saber, I added a sock for the air filter, and the only other change I'm gonna make is adding a factory "high output" chain cover.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Spartan

I have one, the thing I can say the most about it is it is tough.  Smooth enough, just a smidge less power than my 88cc saw.  Don't like the filtration, but thats not a huge deal.  2 years of falling timber with it and its getting a little weaker but I would probably get another.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: AdkStihl on May 27, 2015, 08:57:24 PM
Anyone here got one? How do like it?
I got one showing up here tomorrow NIB

;)
yes J, great saw. reminds me of the 064. why didn't you ask me lol? you'll like it bro.

dirtmover1250

better grab them while you can. i was talking to my dealer 2 days ago and he said they will be on the shelf for another year before they switch them over to Mtronic.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

treeslayer2003

oh i already planned on another any time now. it will be ported before i even get it dirty lol

Spartan

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 31, 2015, 07:28:12 PM
oh i already planned on another any time now. it will be ported before i even get it dirty lol

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know if I want more cubes with what I got coming up.  I lose 16% power at my elevation.
Never ran a ported saw before honestly.  I am assuming they last as long?
Right now I run a 28" bar on my setup with a semi skip.  Does ok but could be gutsier. 

dirtmover1250

anything ive ever heard about ported saws usually is it shortens the life.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

kellysguy

Quote from: dirtmover1250 on June 01, 2015, 12:52:10 AM
anything ive ever heard about ported saws usually is it shortens the life.

As a third generation ASE Master tech I'll share what I've encountered which is pretty universal in the world of internal combustion.

An engine, any engine; is designed to....and can only do "X" amount of work in it's lifespan ("Y") before it requires repair or replacement. Anytime you increase X, you decrease Y; if you wish in increase Y, you decrease X.

More power = more work, and more work = more load which = more wear which = shorter lifespan.

"Horsepower" is not only the measure of work produced, it's also a measure of wear produced.

There are a few exceptions like  a muffler mod which only shifts the load point from exhaust pressures to crankshaft rotation. It's not creating anymore work, just moving it from a place of loss to where it can be harvested.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Spartan on May 31, 2015, 09:12:21 PM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 31, 2015, 07:28:12 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know if I want more cubes with what I got coming up.  I lose 16% power at my elevation.
Never ran a ported saw before honestly.  I am assuming they last as long?
Right now I run a 28" bar on my setup with a semi skip.  Does ok but could be gutsier.
i pull a 32 full skip square in soft hardwood and pine, 28 in oak. it does pretty well.
far as ported.....my 660 was a turd untill i had it ported. it is now what it should have been. i don't think a woods port will hurt longevity as long as it is tuned right.
the 461 does pretty well out of the box, how ever the numbers they are getting from them have me intrigued. i would say the clutch may be the limiting factor.

JohnG28

It depends on what "ported" means. Some guys port a saw to run 10-15 seconds cutting cookies as it's career. Others to run 8 hours a day as a modified work saw. The latter will probably outlast it's stock counterpart and produce a lot more in its time running. Depends on what you want though.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

4x4American

I have a 461r that I got when it first came out, and I am thinking of buying another one, just not the R model, for doing east coast things, such as making really low stumps cutting hardwoods.  It is my hands down favorite saw of all time.  Love it.  It is spunky right out of the box.  I did a muffler mod, but didn't notice much difference besides in noise, the factory muffler breathes pretty well.  The excavation company I work for I drop alot of trees for them and they told me that I can choose my next saw once it comes time to get anohter..no doubt it will be a 461.  This saw gets 10 thumbs up. 

( I can't find the thumbs up button so just pretend they're there)

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: dirtmover1250 on May 31, 2015, 07:18:33 PM
better grab them while you can. i was talking to my dealer 2 days ago and he said they will be on the shelf for another year before they switch them over to Mtronic.

*DanG! I was hoping they'd leave the 461 alone!
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

Don't  worry the 461 or whatever model # it will be called will be getting  big improvements,  spring  anti  vibe and.............. :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

4x4American

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 02, 2015, 10:57:33 AM
Don't  worry the 461 or whatever model # it will be called will be getting  big improvements,  spring  anti  vibe and.............. :)

How can they improve upon a classic model!  This is where the manufacturers get lost in my mind.  Keep selling the good old fashioned 461 the way it is, then when they want to add m-tronics, just make a whole new saw and keep the 461 on the shelves.  See what one is more popular.
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

Well maybe Stihl will bring back the "Farm Boss" and then we'll have MS461 Farm Boss. ;D

The MS461 will follow what the MS661 CM is famous for with a few other extra major re-designs.

I'm surprised the 461 didn't have the spring AV and M Tronic earlier, at least the spring AV. But I think the most listened to  field testers for the 461 were  the PNW hand fallers and stiff rubber mounts are usually their preference with their long b/c.
So rather then add a spring mount to a 25 plus year old base design powerhead ,build a new saw to make it work better..........

kellysguy

Quote from: 4x4American on June 02, 2015, 09:31:24 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on June 02, 2015, 10:57:33 AM

How can they improve upon a classic model!  This is where the manufacturers get lost in my mind.  Keep selling the good old fashioned 461 the way it is, then when they want to add m-tronics, just make a whole new saw and keep the 461 on the shelves.  See what one is more popular.

I understand what you mean but production wise it's not "fiscally responsible". Things that "work" don't get replaced as often. Saw companies make money selling new saws, they don't really make anything off of units in the field. There will always be a shift towards making less user friendly repair and replacements thus forsing the sale of a new unit.

This is currently happening in the automotive world. It was once uncommon to have a car last over 100K without major engine repairs. Things evolved and got to 300K motors. The industry "improved" and now units are set to last a drastically shorter time period. They didn't swap to 0w5wt oil for nothing.  ;)

M-tronic and autotune are just going to force higher repair costs thus forcing an otherwise good unit to be retired as it make more financial sense to buy a new saw.

As materials advance, expect to see more and more "cheaply" made products.

This is nothing new and has been going on for over 100 years.

4x4American

Well I don't like it, and I want to do something about it!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

If tree huggers can accomplish as much as they have, we should be able to, too!  Just need enough people to stand up and put their foot down.
Boy, back in my day..

dirtmover1250

i dont like it either. i heard from my dealer it will only be another year before the 461 goes off the shelf for an Mtronic model. this crap needs to stop.

while we are on the subject. what does a computer cost to work on these new mtronic saws?

also what does the part cost to replace the onboard computer? surely someone has run into this already.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

HolmenTree

I don't  know what the big deal is.
If you want a MS461 buy one and you'll  have parts and service  backup for 20 years or more guaranteed .
If you want a old school  046 Magnum with dual outlet muffler buy one .
Like the auto industry ( if you want to compare saws to) we're  going to have computerized  fuel injection chain saws in the future. I think thats good.

There's  chainsaws for people  who just tinker and play with them and then there's people who make a living with them........which one are you ??

so il logger

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 04, 2015, 12:14:04 AM
I don't  know what the big deal is.
If you want a MS461 buy one and you'll  have parts and service  backup for 20 years or more guaranteed .
If you want a old school  046 Magnum with dual outlet muffler buy one .
Like the auto industry ( if you want to compare saws to) we're  going to have computerized  fuel injection chain saws in the future. I think thats good.

There's  chainsaws for people  who just tinker and play with them and then there's people who make a living with them........which one are you ??

Exactly... you just nailed it there  8) Commercial users adapt, the 660 was a proven platform... it's gone, don't mean the timber's gonna stop falling.  :)

kellysguy

I think that's gonna be expensive! :D

The handwriting is on the wall, if you don't like what's coming stock up on what you do like....BUT...the saying adapt or die exists for a reason...

I can't see anyone stopping the force of change but that doesn't mean you can't try....but I'd still stock up. ;)

Holmen is correct, for guys that swing them every day and have the dealer fix things when they go wrong it isn't a big deal. For guys like me who fix their own stuff and are tight about buying parts; it's bad news. My biggest thing is self reliance, I don't dig the fact of needing repair equipment I don't have. That being said, I'm sure someone will come out with an app. :D

I can see where they would perform better. I can also see it's gonna be more expensive no matter what side of the fence you are on.

treeslayer2003

well some of you have much better dealers than i do. i doubt the hardware store dealers here will ever be able to fix an auto tune........they can't even fix older saws.
and yes i am a logger and faller for 25 years on the east coast and prefer "stiff" rubber mounts. if i ever run out of saws and there's nothing but m tronic spring mounts than thats what i will have to get. :-\

HolmenTree

Quote from: kellysguy on June 04, 2015, 10:14:44 AM

I think that's gonna be expensive! :D

Nothing  new, Stihl has been selling a electronic controlled fuel injected cut quick saw for years now.
Transition  to a chainsaw could happen any day now ???
Here's  a 2012 video of that Stihl saw.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWvRnAB6BE

Thank You Sponsors!