iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028 Super

Started by kenskip1, June 29, 2015, 06:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

Here is the story. I have an 028 Super sitting on my shop floor. I payed $25 about a year ago.I was going to part it ot as it needs a clutch, oil pump drive gears cover needle bearings, the whole bit.However,, I did a compression check and cold it has 145-150 PSI. Is this acceptable for this saw? My dealer has all the parts in stock but I am a bit leery about the compression.It starts and runs great. Dealer price for parts required is $130 .Is this within range to sink the monies into? Thanks, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Duane(Pa)

You can get upside down on an 028 real easy. I would look for used parts at half what your dealer wants. Worth fixing for sure. Just watch what you spend.

ZeroJunk

That compression is fine.  Are you sure you can't just replace the clutch springs ?

kenskip1

Whoever had the saw before me ran it without the clutch drum. The clutch is in pieces beyond repair. I have had dealings with others on purchasing used parts and I was burned. I have every intention of paying my dealer and getting the right parts.Thanks for the concern, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

ZeroJunk

PM me your mailing address and I will send you most of what you need to fix it.

Dixon700

So far I've had good luck with hutzl aftermarket parts. They appear to be exact same parts as stihl they just don't say stihl.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Lorenzo

I have had one of those for about 20 years or perhaps even longer.
I vote to fix it if the rest of it is in good shape.

nitehawk55

Great saws , my son has 3 plus 2 parts saws (one which could run with little work) and he uses 2 of them a lot for cutting firewood . He has a Super that's in really nice nearly unused condition he pampers :D

I was lucky myself to find one last month that was owned by a 90 year old who bought it new and his son was selling it for him . I estimate an hour or so of use . The plastic is still on the top cover name plate as well as the recoil badge . This is one of the later ones built in VB USA . Ser # starts with a 2 plus the recoil badge has made in VB on it .

Yes , fix it , you'll get a lot of reliable use from it .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

lumberjack48

I think the older 028 was the best saw Stihl built, right up with the 08 S, they run, run and run.

I had a big stand of Swamp Spruce up on the South Round Lake Rd. 1200 cds. I was running two skidders, C5-D and the S8 IH. I ran the C5 my wife ran the S8, one landing man, and one faller. This Spruce was running 4 to 6 sticks long, 8 to 16 inch butts, nicest Spruce i ever logged. The faller had a 028 Farm Boss, i kept the skid down to 50 to 200 yds. He fell 400 plus trees a day with the 028, we limbed each others drags. When i would meet the wife coming in, she would drop the drag. I would drive over the drag, put my blade down and she'd winch up while pulling ahead. This took 30 seconds to a minute to limb 6 trees. We made 30 to 40 turns each, twitch's or drags a day. I wanted 40 cds a day on the landing. The moral of the story is, the 028 never let us down.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

FWIW and general info for those who do not know the 028,038 ,042 and 048 are all the same basic design .Some parts namely the oil pumps are exactly the same .

All seem to be very robust saws the 028 models being the smallest .I also have an 028 farm boss .It gets some use but because I have so many saws it doesn't see much action .Good little firewooder though .

To rebuild one shouldn't be an expensive deal using used parts .Using dealer OEM parts might be costly depending on what's needed .

HolmenTree

Quote from: lumberjack48 on July 19, 2015, 03:16:39 PM

I had a big stand of Swamp Spruce up on the South Round Lake Rd. 1200 cds. I was running two skidders, C5-D and the S8 IH. I ran the C5 my wife ran the S8, one landing man, and one faller. This Spruce was running 4 to 6 sticks long, 8 to 16 inch butts, nicest Spruce i ever logged.
The 028 was a bullet proof little saw.
Lumberjack 48, about that swamp spruce (we call it black spruce in Manitoba, just  north of the line from you.) Our mill here which is owned by a B.C.company sent a couple of 2"x4" lifts of the stuff to
B.C. for stress testing (MSR) and found it was just as strong as their Douglas fir.

The Marvin mill up at Warroad have been shipping black spruce logs out of Manitoba for decades. As a matter of fact they still have a state of the art mill called Spruce Products up here at Swan River Manitoba.
The mill is monitored by a tech company out of Oregon  via the internet.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!