iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

25 inch bar on a Stihl 044?

Started by skipster, July 19, 2015, 05:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipster

Hi Folks,
I have an old 044 that needs a new bar. The original was a 20" solid nose, and I dont want to use another 20' as I already have an Ms362 set up with a 20" bar that i use for limbing and smaller felling/bucking.
I sometimes struggle with a 20 inch on the bigger trees,and was wondering if putting a 25 on the 044 would be an ok move?
Not sure if its underpowered for a longer bar length,and if this might put undue strain on it.

If its ok, can someone tell me the main difference between Stihl and Tsumura bars for this length, and if i should use skip chain or not?

Most of the wood is hard,awful grey box eucalypt.

thanks,skip

Al_Smith

Although some might argue the fact a good running 044 with a sharp chain should be able to run a 24-25 inch bar .

I have seen and operated an 044 reworked by Dan Henry do nicely with a 36" bar in hard as iron hardwood in east central Ohio at a GTG I can't remember if it had full comp or skip chain but never the less it buzzed right though a 42" log with no problems.

HolmenTree

If your  044 is in good running  condition with good compression a 25" b/c will work excellent  on  it.
I don't  recommended  a skip tooth chain cutting the hardwood  you're talking about.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ozarker

mad murdock

Depending on how tall you are, (I am judg abt 6'), i like a 28" on my 372XPW. Cuts down on a lot of bending. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

I'm almost 6 ft tall with long arms but I have short legs (30" inseam)
A 18"-20" b/c is perfect for me :D

Al_Smith

If my legs would have grown in proportion to my body I'd be 6'4" .6' with a 29" inseam .On the other hand it's not so much to bend over .You gotta look at the positives . ;)

HolmenTree

Lots  of positives, I never had a sore back ;D

Cut4fun

Just put a 24" or as stihl likes to call it 25" on a 440 with full comp chain. Does fine in the hardwoods.
I also had put a dual port muffler and the side exit is opened to old school stihl size. Plus there is no cage inside muffler. Carb retune and she cuts great.

Dieselsteve

I have a 440 magnum with 25 inch bar and stihl square chisel chain and it RIPS, never had a problem and Ive  cut some monsters.

skipster

The dual port muffler mod sounds a good idea.
Can you buy a complete aftermarket dual port muffler? (not just the cover)
If so,any leads appreciated

JohnG28

All you need is the cover, it's a 2 part muffler so the front cover has the second port I believe. 24/25" full  comp should not be a problem.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Cut4fun

Quote from: skipster on July 19, 2015, 06:33:07 PM
The dual port muffler mod sounds a good idea.
Can you buy a complete aftermarket dual port muffler? (not just the cover)
If so,any leads appreciated

You can get with or without spark screen. Raisman aftermarket dual port 440 complete muffler in  without screen option like I wanted.  $19.50 shipped to my door.
Exhaust outlet on side is nice and big like I would open up any ways and bigger deflector then OEM.
I bought it off FEEbay where it was cheaper then others selling elsewhere.

SawTroll

A 25" (24 really) bar will make the 044 front heavy, but it should pull the chain well enough.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

When the 044AV was introduced  in late 1988 here in Canada the 20" b/c was the standard  size during its  promotion.
But I liked the 18" better, perfect balance and ergonomics  in small -medium timber.

mad murdock

With an 18-20" B/C that saw will be a real rip snorter! 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

VT_Forestry

I'm running a 25" full skip on my 038 Mag and it does just fine, I would expect a good running 044 would have no problems
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

hedgerow

Over the years before I had a 90 cc big saw I ran a 24 inch bar on a 038 all the time no problem pulling it . The 044 shouldn't have a problem if it is good shape.

skipster

its got plenty of compression,and cuts like a demon, but is a &%#$% to start. My idea is to outfit it with a bigger bar as a complement to my 362,but after an hour of trying to get it going again yesterday,maybe i should buy a new 661 instead!

lumberjack48

Try opening the low jet, just a hair, you'll probably have to turn your idle adjustment up a little, after opening the low jet up a hair.
But then i've had saws that were just hard starting. So i had gas in a spray bottle, give it a little spray of gas, one or two pulls your running. I would never pull on a saw over four times, i'd find what was wrong.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

HolmenTree

I'm  thinking maybe skipster's 044 may be one of the earlier models without a decomp. That might be his reason why he's  finding it hard to start.
A 20 year old layer of carbon on top of the piston will raise  compression even more making starting even more challenging.  :D

ZeroJunk

Sometimes after those saws have seen some use the throttle trigger/lock gets worn and they will not fast idle in choke or fast idle position. Makes them a real pain to start.

skipster

yep,mines an early,no-decomp one.
HOWEVER...
I spent today falling and limbing,mainly using my 362,but fired up the 044(took a while),using the barely serviceable original 20 inch bar it came with after lunch.
What a great saw!
Cut really well,and as long as i kept the revs up it didnt stall too often.
If i put the chain brake on between cuts(while moving around tangled limbs) and let it idle,it would cut out out,but then start easily ,not sure why.
It cut a lot stronger than the 362,particularly in the bigger 18 inch stuff,and although it was a bit heavier and more vibey I found it a joy to use.
I am definitely going to keep it, will sell an 038m I never use and put the funds towards a total restoration of the 044.
Almost wish i hadnt bought the 362 now, as the 044 is such a ripper.

Dixon700

I run a 25" bar and what I believe is full comp chain(both chains are stihl rapid super) on my 460 and you can't slow that saw down if you try. In 1 tank of fuel it can cut a ton of wood.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Al_Smith

Regarding the 038Mag ,that model is the" iron Duke" of Stihl .Probabley the all time best they ever made .

I have one that spent over 20 years of extreme service for a tree service  company that still runs as good as the day it was made .

Thank You Sponsors!