iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woods walking

Started by Gordon, March 01, 2001, 06:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gordon

Just wondering how many of you just like to walk in the woods and admire mother natures work. I know that is one of the most relaxing things to me. Going for a nice long walk in my woods sure is a stress remover. Amazing you can walk the same trail a hundred times and always find something new and interesting.

Gordon

Jeff

QuoteAmazing you can walk the same trail a hundred times and always find something new and interesting.
Gordon
Gordon, did you ever read the post I made about Horace Kephart?click here

There is a section about why we notice the different things.

I too, love to walk in the woods. I have made a promise to myself, to try and do so, more, this spring. I spend a lot of time in the woods during hunting of course, and sometimes neglect spring.

Spring walks help wake you up from winter. The smells, the newness, all are good for the spirit. Seeing the first curls of a fern, or finding a Morel Mushroom, or seeing the Trilium, finding an antler shed, are all worth the walk in my State.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

I had planned to let the calves and their moms out of the barn by March 3rd (today). Instead, I am still putting other cows in of an evening because it is so cold day and night. I have one more to calve, and she just needed TLC- now with a little shelter and a little extra grain, she's getting pretty vast. Most of the time I'm letting the yearling heifers stay out- they are pretty primed up, and I don't see them shivering much. This herd is getting close to critical mass..
   I want spring to come.          LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

It won't be long L. Today it was 42 here and sunny. But the snow is still up to the windows on my old jeep.

Gordon

Well Jeff I know what book I'm going to be looking for next. Isn't amazing that some things really never change other than the way we look at them.

They were forecasting two feet of snow for us yesterday in Delaware but now it's going to be mostly rain. I wanted a large snowfall, the sheer beauty and I could make a couple of bucks pushin it. One other reason a day off in this area because a small amout of snow will shut everything down. It's funny to watch the bread and milk leave the store like crazy. I wonder what people do with all that bread and milk?

Thanks for posting that hyperlink Jeff.
Gordon

Bill Johnson

Oh yeah nothing better than walking in the woods.
Of course most of the woods I walk in is usually piled in skidways along haul roads.

Right now strolling in standing timber is a little difficult because like most of you folks we have about 5 feet of snow on the ground.

But even with that you can't beat a nice relaxing stroll in the forest.
Bill

Bill

Ron Scott

Today I took a stroll down a haul and skid road then a stroll through a frozen swamp with a timber producer and I will stroll most of the day tomorrow on snowshoes marking timber. The strolls are a little different depending upon time of year and land type. One should woods walk during all seasons for the best appreciation.
~Ron

Jeff

I just returned home from a one day excursion to our family's cabin near Detour Village in the eastern U.P. It was not much of a walk as I did not have snowshoes with me and the snow was still 3 ft deep up the drive to the cabin.

We scattered 6 pails of mineral pellots for the deer. We sawn several, and they look like they are doing pretty well. They did not have that "starved look" like they get. They should be fine as I think spring should be here soon.

Ron Scott

On my March 7 woods walk while marking timber I came across a fresh deer kill that dogs had just made. My 12 gauge was back at the truck, so it didn't do me any good as a chaser. I will now carry the side arm. Dog packs seem to be getting to be somewhat of a problem.

I had eaten some peanuts along the snowshoe trail and when I came back out to the trail there was an opossum eating the shells. I walked up behind it and tapped it in the rear with my measuring stick before it wondered off. I have since located its den in the hillside.

On my March 8 all day walk, I had lunch in the woods sitting under a hemlock tree during a blinding snow squall. Not good for a picnic in the woods.

Will take another walk tomorrow.
~Ron

marty

I went out today for a walk and ended up in my new clear cut that I just had done this summer and found very little deer sign. Down by the pond the turkeys have scraped down to top soil and all the stumps I had laid around have been picked clean for bugs or pebbles. Today was the day for squirrels I bet I seen 50 at least. Weather suppose to start warming up a bit so hopefully I can get working on the place........marty8)8)8)8)

Gordon

Wild dogs, now that could take the fun out of things real quick. In the next county south of me they are starting to have problems with wild dogs. Scary to say the least, needing a sidearm just to go into the woods.

Three ft of snow in the u.p.. I was working in a tee shirt all day Sunday at the house. Then in the afternoon went back in the woods to clean out some ditchs. Nice and peaceful, then the dogs found me (my dogs) I'm straddling the ditch and one jumps down right in front of me knocks me back. The darn dog got me soaking wet in the ditch. Man was that water cold. The dog just sitting there wagging his tail happy to be alive. That was a very long 1/2 mile walk back to the house.
Gordon

Ron Scott

Cross country skied in to timber marking site this morning. Then switched to snowshoes until noon when I was able to go on foot. Then back to cross country skis to ski out. Snow was melting fast with south slopes and access road now showing bare ground. Ground now also getting snowfree under the hemlock trees.

Saw 1 squirrel, 2 deer, and 1 coyote.
~Ron

Don P

The maples bloomed here this week. Syrup festival on Whitetop last weekend. I wouldn't know which end of a snowshoe to hit the ball with.

timberbeast

I was up in the U.P. a few weeks back for my aunt's funeral.  I arrived quite early,  so I took a drive out to the land.  Someones doing some heavy cutting back past my place,  so this little bitty road was plowed,  but having the car,  I couldn't see over the snowbanks. Found my shack driveway and climbed the bank.  Dropping down the othe side,  and up to the waist I went.  Well,  I figured I was in for the duration then.  Got up on top of the crust and made it the 200 yards or so to the shack only breaking through the crust a few times.  Stepped DOWN onto the porch.  (It's about 3 feet high),  opened up the shack and checked it,  all okay,  then nature called.  I have an outhouse,  no problem!!  There is a small roof over the back door,  but when I unlatched and pushed,  very little give,  ahhh!!! A drift!  Well,  I got it open enough to get out,  but in looking at the outhouse surrounded by over 3 feet of snow,  with a closed door,  I used a more natural means.  That was quite an adventure!  It never ceases to amaze me,  that after a day of pulling logs out of the swamp,  after a gallon of water and a decent meal,  I still want to take a walk before bed.  Few years back,  deer hunting I got lazy and just kind of propped myself against a deadfall next to the creek,  which had an inch or so of ice.  Ploop!!  Up comes an otter from a hole I had not even noticed.  He nosed around a bit,  then took a long,  sliding skid back to the hole and disappeared!  I'll never forget it!!  Those who walk the woods and enjoy,  and use nature,  are enriched beyond what others can comprehend!!!A cousin of mine has stopped bringing his rifle to deer camp,  but he's out there every day!
Where the heck is my axe???

L. Wakefield

I finally got to do a short walk along I-95 north of Augusta here in Maine- followup to the October trip last year when I thought I'd spotted lichen on the trees. Well- I certainly had- they were infested.. Mostly sickly firs, and very healthy lichen of the genus evernia (abundant) and usnia (less so).

What I had read about these is that they are an indicator of old-growth forest; and also the overall pollution situation of the forest. Supposedly the lichen are endangered by clearcutting and by pollution in Europe.. In this case, it ain't necessarily so. Trees along the interstate are rarely going to be old-growth, and certainly are going to be targets for pollution.

What I'm seeing is trees which are dead or dying- or the dying brances thereof- are ideal hosts for these species. That doesn't rule out the clear-cut effect, but throws into question the relation with pollution. I was seeing trees affected by salt definitely, and direct plumes of auto exhaust almost certainly. This is not necessarily the equivalent of acid rain in the forests of Europe.

All this will push me toward longer and more comprehensive walks in more remote forest area this spring- clearcuts, new growth, old-growth. But I did end up with another wad of lichen. Man, it was bitterly cold up around Bangor..     LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Wildflower

I love to walk in the woods in the Spring with the flowers just starting to poke their heads
through the blanket of fallen leaves trying to reach the warm sunshine. The trees with their
branch spread wide forming a canopy to shade the ground beneath them.
   I love the smells in Summer with the gentle breezes mixing the aromas of the flowers to
make a sweet air to breathe. The pretty wildflowers blanketing the ground like a living
carpet put there for all to see.
   In the Fall I love the colorful leaves slowing floating down to the ground in a brilliant
blanket to keep the ground warm for the impending winters snow.
   And the sight of winter just makes me wonder is there anything more beautiful then the
first snowfall, the trees collecting the snow on their branches looking at any moment to release their heavy burden  to the awaiting ground below. The smell of everything
clean and fresh.
   Only to give way when Spring reawakens and claims the season again.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Jeff

So as I don't seem rude for not welcoming Wildflower to the board as I would normally, I must say wildflower got her welcome 21 years ago this August 1st. About time you said something Mrs Admin!

L. Wakefield

Hi wildflower! Lovely icon..

2 days after the foray up to Bangor I ran away to a greenhouse in Connecticut that has 7 houses of tropical and sub-tropical plants. I brought back 35 totally impractical plants in 2 1/2" pots- Now for the potting soil and 4" pots- I WILL get my hands in the dirt somehow, for all there is still 3-4ft of snow on the ground. Not quite time to plough yet- and 'hardening off' plants by putting them outside would be a VERY BAD THING :D

Gordon

Wildflower glad to hear from ya! Guess Jeff pretty much hogs the keyboard. :o

Did you trick him into going for a gallon of milk?
Reguardless, great post and congrats come Aug 1 on the 21st.

Old mother nature sure is amazing !
The kids love the leaf game.

Gordon

Jeff

Gordon, Download the jukebox program for them. That one is really pretty good. We Get email from all over the world about it. https://forestryforum.com/jukebox.exe

Jeff

This aint really woods walking, but it was out doors. The Michigan Forest Resource Alliance has an auto tour that runs up US-27 and I-75 starting in Clare, and ending at Hartwick Pines. There are 10 numbered signs along the way that correspond with a brochure that can be obtained at the welcome center in Clare or from Mfra. (www.mfra.org) The problem with the tour in the past has been a lot of people did not know what the signs were for. Well they will have a way to find out now.

We started upgrading the signs to include the MFRA web address today. Do you know how many million people will pass these signs every year?? The kicker is, MFRA includes a big 'ole link to our forum right on its front page!

Here is a picture of my kids (two on the left) and a friend of my son, helping me today, putting up the new mfra.org plaques on the signs.

If you would like to know more about the auto tour, or would like to receive the brochure, or other brochures free of charge, visithttp://www.mfra.org

Jeff

Tonight we went on the road and added the address plaque to 3 more of the auto tour signs. The Third we got a little crooked because we were trying to rush because of a heavy thunderstorm. We were north of the Muskegon River, almost to Higgens Lake. We had an awsome site! We just got back in the car when a large, mature, Bald eagle swept out of the woods and just in front of us. Looked JUST LIKE THE ONE ON THE SIGN!

Gordon

Jeff, that's beauty at it's best! Those are some awsome birds to watch fish as well. In this area there are a few eagles but few and far between. Hard to see unless it's a very quiet day at the refuge.

Something there are quite a few of around here are the Osprey. Another beautiful bird to watch as well. The male comes up from down south after winter two weeks before the female to get the nest ready.

Another bird that I admire for its patience is the Blue Heron. Nice long legs, it will stand on one leg in shallow water for ever waiting for a fish to swim within it's reach and then bam fish for lunch.

But the Bald Eagle is the king. 8)
The signs look great.
Gordon

Jeff

The area I was in has man made nesting platforms built for osprey, In fact one of the signs I have to do is in the edge of thiat marsh. The sign has "floated out of its holes, and will have to be repaired somehow first. There is also a blue Heron rookery on a high wooded knob in the middle of that same marsh. Remember the Houghton lake area from when you were in Michigan Gordon?

I would like to encourage everyone to go to the MFRA.org site and order some brochures. Thats what they are there for. The education is invaluable. They have had requests from as far as Poland and Finland. They send to everyone FREE! They also have a free issue of MUCC tracks Magazine for your Kids.

I expect them to get some requests from you guys, and maybe some ticket sales, and by the way,I asked, and they delivered the cabin last year to the Wisconsin winner!

Ron Scott

Jeff,
Good job with the MFRA signs. They are in need of recurring maintenance. You were in active eagle territory. Maybe you remember when there was an eagle's nest there right along the I-27 freeway and young fell to the ground on highway. The nesting platforms were built soon after in effort to get the parent eagles to move nest to safer location.

I'm a regular ticket buyer for the MFRA cabin so will be getting some.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!