iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad Sound

Started by DextorDee, December 03, 2002, 08:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DextorDee

I used the diesel and bar oil mix on my blade , went good for a couple of cuts, sure made it quieter.  Ok, thats good I'll jus give er another squirt and finish up this log before it rots. Squirt, Squirt, the blade removes itself very quickly from the tires, not a good sound..Lets try that again, reinstall adj, check, level, crank her up start the cut ,squirt,squirt. Yup you guessed it,off she came..Hmmmm gotta learn the hard way I guess ..Too much oil on rubber ??? What'd I do wrong? I'm turning my speakers down so I don't hear yall  :D  Its ok ya can call me dextorduh.. :-[  Anybody out there from N E Ga? ???
great forum.
dd
Should I have put this in the Dummy section?
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

sawyerkirk

When needed, I run vegetable oil on my blades, and yes I have slid a blade off the wheels as well, it simply a mater of too much oil. I have always used water in the past, and it never happened.  do you have a drip system or just pour it on?

Noble_Ma

I was wondering why you needed to go to that mixture too?  I've cut everything from white and red pine to white oak and only used water.  I use more water when cutting pine.  I do use a rag with grease on it after I put the mill away for the night but that's to keep the blade from rusting.

DextorDee

I just poured it on, the spray bottle quit spraying so  I thought what the heck if a little is good a lot is better . (bad idea)
I don't have a drip system I was wondering if its worth making one or to just use a spray bottle?? I just got this mill , so I don't know a lot about milling ...  :-/   The mill mfg. didn't recommend using anything as far as lub or cooling. I noticed the blade was getting pretty hot so ,I ask about blade heat in an earlier post and the votes seem to be, lub ,lub lub.  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to spin a blade off.. This experimenting could get expensive..Sure changed the shape of the blade :-[  
 Thanks guys, This forum is a good source of info..
dd
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

sawyerkirk

I would definately add a drip system. I switched from water to vegetable oil, as it dosen't stain my oak, and I use alot less. It also cuts ash pitch alot better than water.

DextorDee

Sawerkirk,Did you build your drip system or did the mill come with one?
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

DextorDee

Anybody got a plan for a drip system? Pictures  ??? Ideas ???
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Noble_Ma

My mill came with a drip system.  It's as simple as a plastic water container (5gal) and a clear plastic tube that is placed just above the blade on the lead side of the blade guide.  There's a little manual turn stop inserted in the tubing to control the flow.  You could probably use a 5 gal plastic drywall mud bucket.  I know other more expensive mills have more ellobrate systems but this one is simple and works ;D

Larry

I have a 2-gallon garden sprayer that I use.  I put plastic "T" fitting on the end and ran plastic tubing above and below the band.  I put coarse ag sprayer tips on the end of the tubes.  I give the band a quick shot before I start each cut.  Have to pump it up about every couple of hundred BF.  

I have also seen a rig that used something like lantern wicks on each side of the blade.  It impressed me but not enough for me to run out and build one.

My mill also has a round wire brush that kicks off the sawdust as the blade comes out of the log.

I mostly use kerosene and bar oil but have used just about everything else except for the vegetable oil.  Gotta try that one.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bull

Lube    I have the fancy one (woodmizers lubemizer...)
   I use diswashing liquid w/ water works great....
  Dawn Works the best but its pricey... We are  using
 Octangon lemon liquid ..  .69 cents a quart at Walmart
 what a bargin and it gives the wood a lemon fresh sent !!!
  You can by the Jug from Woodmizer for the drip system it
cost  around $75.00 .

Tom

You know what I've found the best container to be?  I use an old 3 or 5 gallon plastic gas can.  They are made from that thick red plastic that the UV rays doesn't destroy.  Those thin white plastic containers will only last about a year and they fall apart like a milk jug that has been left out in the sun.

I stick a piece of copper tubing into the air hole on the jug and then put a plastic tube on that.  I turn the air hole down and mount the jug so that it is resting on its back with the big hole at the top.  I use that to fill the  jug and it doesn't even need a lid.

Because it's dark inside, I don't have near the algae problems that I did with the white jug. ;D

sawyerkirk

Mine is the Woodmizer as well.

Bro. Noble

If you need a new jug,  you might want to visit your friendly neighborhood dairyman.  We buy pipeline soap and acid as well as teat dip in 5 gal containers.  While most of the containers are round in cross section, some are square.  Most have the lids that are threaded for a spout and are interchangable with the WM lids.  While you're there,  chances are he'll try to load you up with a pickup load of plastic 5 gal buckets.  They sure do accumulate fast.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Rick Schmalzried

Oh, sure...Now you start talking about the jugs. :-/  You didn't even offer to bring any up to us  :'(  :'( I guess we really know how you feel about us up here in Illinois  ;)

Perry and I are just going to have to find another dairyman to befriend.  ;D
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Bro. Noble

Rick,

Now I feel just absolutely awful.  I promise to save a couple a zillion of them just for you.  When you come down or the next time I come up you'll have a whack of assorted containers.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ADfields

Are you gona rent a Ryder truck for the trip?  

Your neighborhood fast food place gets over swamped with them as well, pickels, mayo ect come in 5 gal buckets if your not neer a dairyman.
Andy

Brian_Bailey

sez, donT forget the doughtnut shops, they have lots of buckets, aint that right partner?   Yup, thats right. :D :D

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

thecfarm

I have a drip system on my manual saw.They used a plastic gas can with 2 shut offs.One to adjust the flow the way you want it,and than one to turn if off when the saw is not being used for any lenght of time.I only have a drip every 2-3 seconds.I use half diesel and bar and chain oil.I only saw pine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!