iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just bought a portable mill - any beginner tips?

Started by Rahworks, April 22, 2020, 01:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 23, 2020, 07:25:37 AMDon't skimp on eye protection, hearing protection, steel toe boots, tape measures, cant hooks.
If you're right next to the engine when operating consider wearing double ear protection, foam plugs and hearing muffs.  I'd tell this also to any swing mill owner. 

Enjoy your new mill!  Exciting!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Whatever you do - don't buy any cows - you will spend all of your money on support equipment for the mill so you can put up buildings - that you make with your mill - for the cows, then decide you need more equipment to handle the logs you need for the buildings that the cows need, that need to be sawn on the mill - see it becomes a feedback loop and you will never be able to come back from that combination.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Make a cheat sheet showing different board thicknesses and start on the appropriate mark when you turn the cant for the final time. Using this starting point every time means you will end on your mark every time instead of having a thick or thin dog board as your last board every time. This saves me an additional cut on almost every log.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Patrick NC

And if you are married figure out how to explain how weekends are for sawing and not honey do lists or recreation or any other normal things.  Saw life!😀
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Bandmill Bandit

You will learn to "passively initiate ideas" that will "require" logs that need to be milled to "complete" the "honey doo" projects that "arise" from "important" pillow talk that inspires nocturnal dreams that will inspire epiphany moments of "honey doo" projects that will only be possible because you own a saw mill.

You'll get good at and she will enjoy it. She may even start to feel sorry for creating all this "hard work" for you on weekends and holidays.       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

97redjeep

Quote from: Southside on April 23, 2020, 09:11:13 AM
Whatever you do - don't buy any cows - you will spend all of your money on support equipment for the mill so you can put up buildings - that you make with your mill - for the cows, then decide you need more equipment to handle the logs you need for the buildings that the cows need, that need to be sawn on the mill - see it becomes a feedback loop and you will never be able to come back from that combination.   :D
:o Just ordered a HM126 today..... to build a barn and shelter....for the cows I bought a week ago.... I hope I'm not past the point of no return 8D
HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on April 23, 2020, 09:35:50 PMYou'll get good at and she will enjoy it. She may even start to feel sorry for creating all this "hard work" for you on weekends and holidays.
Invite her to help carry boards.  Once I served up a board to her that had half a mouse on it.  Win-Win. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

And if you visit a fellow sawyer be sure to take the wife along.  ;D

That way both wives can be tailgunners.  :-X

'Cause you will be too busy watching.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!