iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

As I always say.....this works for me.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 08, 2013, 03:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My WM gas tank has 1 line going into it. I also have a spare tank. When the spare tank sets on the shelf or to the side, saw dust collects down inside the fuel connection. It's really hard to clean out and a booger to try to connect the fuel line with dust in it.
I now use an empty 2 cycle oil bottle and dog gone if it don't fit PERFECT. Now the connection is kept clean and dust free.

And yep......this is just how I do it.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Holmes

Thats a great idea. Just goes to show you are not just another pretty face... :D ;D
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Holmes on May 08, 2013, 04:01:36 PM
Thats a great idea. Just goes to show you are not just another pretty face... :D ;D

Jim_Rogers

Store your jug horizontal and there is no need for a cap.....  ;D
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 08, 2013, 04:20:36 PM
Store your jug horizontal and there is no need for a cap.....  ;D

Tried that. Down in the connection it always stays a little moist from gas.....it's not a leak, just a little gas moisture. The dust collects down in there and sticks.

Good point though Jim.  :)

petefrom bearswamp

I agree somewhat with Jim, but why not turn it upside down and close the vent?

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 08, 2013, 06:05:16 PM
I agree somewhat with Jim, but why not turn it upside down and close the vent?

There is no vent on these tanks.

And look ya'll......I'm telling ya.......I have tried turning it the other way. Now your not gonna pop my bubble, rain on my parade on put a burr under my saddle.
This is my cow and I'm kissing her!

Pete and Jim, ya'll can kiss my grits......this works for me. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I love ya but ya'll ain't gonna rub my fur backwards.  :)

thecfarm

With a face like that,I'm not patting ya.  :D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Axe Handle Hound

Not so sure about that mug shot, but the backdrop is nice! 

WDH

BTW, the top of your cap is wore off, and you will get dust in your hair.  It would take a whopping big oil bottle to fix that  :D. 

Tomorrow, my spare tank will have an empty 2 cycle oil bottle on the connection  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 08, 2013, 09:04:24 PM
BTW, the top of your cap is wore off, and you will get dust in your hair.  It would take a whopping big oil bottle to fix that  :D. 

Tomorrow, my spare tank will have an empty 2 cycle oil bottle on the connection  ;D.

I feel better now that somebody doesn't argue with me and will use my idea.

But the "dust in my hair statement"? You can kiss my grits too!!!!!  :D :D :D

WDH

They don't make oil bottle spouts that big  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 08, 2013, 09:15:04 PM
They don't make oil bottle spouts that big  :D.

You done struck a nerve there "Wheaties Boy".  :D

Tee

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 08, 2013, 08:52:41 PM
Pete and Jim, ya'll can kiss my grits......this works for me. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I've been thinking it was about time for someone to break out some grits around here.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tee on May 08, 2013, 09:39:48 PM

I've been thinking it was about time for someone to break out some grits around here.
[/quote]

They know I'm playing with them.  :D

Tee

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 08, 2013, 09:48:11 PM

I know. I used to read those fur fluffin fusses even before I joined.

beenthere

QuoteI love ya but ya'll ain't gonna rub my fur backwards. 

::)
Dey already did..... ;D

But the burrs came out so .......... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tee on May 08, 2013, 09:51:56 PM

That's good....you are broke in now if we jump on you.  :D :D :D :D :D

MEMountainMan

LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

Holmes

All I did was compliment you and you turned it into a scary picture and junk food thread. :D  I take back the pretty face statement..... :(  ;D
Think like a farmer.

barbender

With that mug, are you sure your cow will kiss you?
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on May 08, 2013, 10:17:25 PM
With that mug, are you sure your cow will kiss you?

She's blind and my breath smells worse than hers, so she loves me.  :D

kensfarm

You guys are killing me..  I needed a good laugh tonight. 

barbender

Probably those fermented grits you have on your breath, cows really like that kind of silage ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on May 08, 2013, 10:39:07 PM
Probably those fermented grits you have on your breath, cows really like that kind of silage ;D

:D :D :D :D :D

WDH

"and, now, back to the oil bottle story...."

thecfarm

Oh,is that was this thread was about?? :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

No grits kissin from here!
Just a suggestion that's all.
Wasn't aware that there is no vent.
I only have one tank now (diesel).
Used to have 2 when I had my old mill but forgot to strap it down when moving once.
Went back right away but somebody had already made off with it.
Lesson learned.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tee

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 08, 2013, 09:53:36 PM
Quote from: Tee on May 08, 2013, 09:51:56 PM

That's good....you are broke in now if we jump on you.  :D :D :D :D :D

I figured it wouldn't be much longer. I'll even make it easy; I like grits too!

thecfarm

What a sight.  :o  :(  :(  My knees hit the underside of my desk when I saw that.  :(

barbender

I'm way up north, but I actually like grits. My problem is I can't seem to find food I don't like ::)

red

why would you need an extra fuel tank ? ? ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red on May 09, 2013, 01:59:02 PM
why would you need an extra fuel tank ? ? ?

There are sometimes when the mill is about on empty and you are sawing in the presence of a customer / helper and you don't want to stop and go to the store to fill the 1 tank you have.
I can switch tanks and never turn the mill off. I have a spare of a lot of stuff.

But I only have 1 Red.  :D

AdamT

I just bought another tank last week when I ordered blades. I carry a 5 gallon jug on portable jobs and it takes too long to refill my tank from the "no slurp" jugs. I've thought about drilling a breather hole in my jug, but decided to just order another tank and be done with it. It's not at all uncommon to burn more than 5 gallons of gas while out on a job. To me it was simply for time savings.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: AdamT on May 09, 2013, 08:47:01 PM
I just bought another tank last week when I ordered blades. I carry a 5 gallon jug on portable jobs and it takes too long to refill my tank from the "no slurp" jugs. I've thought about drilling a breather hole in my jug, but decided to just order another tank and be done with it. It's not at all uncommon to burn more than 5 gallons of gas while out on a job. To me it was simply for time savings.

Good point Adam. Thats why I have an extra tank. And like I said, ya can just switch them out with the engine still running and not miss a beat.  :)

Magicman

The "glug jugs" is why I am now using these.  LINK Two for fuel and two for lube.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AdamT

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 09, 2013, 08:57:55 PM
Quote from: AdamT on May 09, 2013, 08:47:01 PM

Good point Adam. Thats why I have an extra tank. And like I said, ya can just switch them out with the engine still running and not miss a beat.  :)

Sweet! I'll definatley try that!

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

Brucer

Those of us with diesels or EFI gas engines can't switch "on the fly" quite so easily. There's a second line that's returning surplus fuel from the injectors to the tank.

I do have a spare tank, however. When a new tank runs out of fuel, I mark the level on the outside with a black paint stick. That makes it easy to check the fuel level and change out the tanks before it's inconvenient. Nothing like running out when you're half way through the opening cut on a 30" log >:(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

fill when I start the day and just refill at lunch and Im good for the rest of the day,
I have never had my tank off the mill :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 10, 2013, 06:30:50 AMI have never had my tank off the mill
I have never had mine off either.  I fill the tank at the end of the saw day, and I have never run out of fuel while sawing.  One tank will last all day.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AdamT

Quote from: Brucer on May 10, 2013, 01:38:03 AM
Those of us with diesels or EFI gas engines can't switch "on the fly" quite so easily. There's a second line that's returning surplus fuel from the injectors to the tank.

Good point, I didn't think about that. Maybe I won't try it after all

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Brucer on May 10, 2013, 01:38:03 AM

My 29 HP gas Kohler is has EFI. It has 1 line coming from the tank. And while its running, just switch tanks and keep on trucking.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 10, 2013, 07:03:55 AM
I fill the tank at the end of the saw day, and I have never run out of fuel while sawing.  One tank will last all day.   ;D

I have to admit.....I ran out of fuel once. I just wasn't paying attention. I was coming out of a log, first cut.
The engine fluttered once, and when it got a big lung full of air, the whole head took of down the rail like I had hit high gear. The engine shut down and the head stopped when it hit the rubber bumper.

So I guess the moral of this story is, if ya wanna saw faster.....run on air.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!