iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More projects sawn with the mill

Started by highway, August 24, 2015, 08:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway

Framed up our new Turkey coop this weekend. It is awesome to have a sawmill and be able to produce lumber as needed.  8)

2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

Magicman

Be sure to show us the coop with the turkeys.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I've always wondered how hard it is to back up those "wagon" type trailers.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

4 wheel wagon is different from 2 wheel trailer. But only that you have to turn the "other" way (might work out just right if taking directions from the Mrs.   ;D  )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rasman57

I have an old running gear rack like that that I made into a lumber wagon.  The steering yoke and pivot for the wheels do not let you backup more than a couple feet before it starts doing the Crazy Ivan.   Fun to see too.   In about 15 feet it looks like a Shriners Parade. :o

cutterboy

highway, that looks great. I've seen those house wagons for laying hens but not for turkeys. I'd love to see pictures of your set up when the turkeys are in there. And yes, having a mill is just the best thing for all the projects you want to do.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2015, 08:55:09 AM
Be sure to show us the coop with the turkeys.   ;D

I wanna see one of those pastured turkeys on the 4th Thursday in November!  ;) I'd REALLY like to TASTE ONE!  ;D

That mill will pay for itself many times over -- over the years.

Chuck White

Quote from: beenthere on August 24, 2015, 03:51:35 PM
4 wheel wagon is different from 2 wheel trailer. But only that you have to turn the "other" way (might work out just right if taking directions from the Mrs.   ;D  )

And don't turn too much at any one time either!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

Highway
Nice job .
Do you sell turkey's at your farm ?
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bandmiller2

Fletch, that's for sure a coop De Ville. Have you had any trouble finding turkey poults, there has been a shortage. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

But only that you have to turn the "other" way (might work out just right if taking directions from the Mrs.   ;D  )

:D :D :D :D :D

Now that is funny and so true.  Ever tried to back up a peanut wagon?  It is counter intuitive.  That is a nice way to say that it is near impossible, especially if anyone is watching  ;D..
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kensfarm

I thought you were making a portable kiln to go w/ the sawmill...   ;D

Gearbox

If you put a pin hole in the Bob Cat bucket wagons are easy to back up
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

highway

I have some practice backing into the barn with a load of hay. It can be eventful for sure.

We only lock the birds in at night. They free range during the day and are rotated on the pasture by using electric netting. We have been raising turkeys and chickens for years but it was a pain to move the first turkey tractor we built, see image below. So we thought this was a great use for the spare wagon gear. We do sell turkeys on a first come first serve basis. We have 24 we are raising this year. They were hard to find this year as there was some avian disease that plagued the west. These came from an Amish farm in New York.

I should put a ball hitch in the bucket to make it easier to back the wagons into the barn.

2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

justallan1

Nice job on the turkey coop.
As already stated, those wagons are a great reason to put a hitch on the front of whatever you pull it with, but I would suggest rather than cutting a hole in you bucket, I'd build an attachment that chains or clamps on.

Kbeitz

I bolted a class 3 hitch to the top of my bucket.
You can see my log roll back protector in the hitch in this picture.
I use the hitch for everything...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ScottInCabot

Is there a 'secret' I'm missing by having a turkey coop on a couple axles?

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on August 25, 2015, 09:02:03 PM
How do you see?
Not too good as I get older, but glasses help.

Corny joke warning
----- a farmer took his cow to the farmers market. A man walked up and said "why is your price so low?" The farmer said "because she don't look too good", the man "said she looks great for that price, I'll take her". He paid the farmer and started leading the cow towards his truck when she ran right into a wall. The man said "this cow is blind!" And the farmer said "I told you she didn't look too good".
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Warped

Quote from: Chuck White on August 24, 2015, 05:51:02 PM

And don't turn too much at any one time either!   ;D
Back up eight feet, pull ahead six. Back up eight feet, pull ahead six. Back up eight feet, pull ahead six. Back up eight feet. pull ahead six.   :D :D :D
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

highway

Quote from: ScottInCabot on August 25, 2015, 09:06:32 PM
Is there a 'secret' I'm missing by having a turkey coop on a couple axles?

Scott in Cabot

The only purpose for the coop on wheels is to make it portable so we can rotate several pastures more effectively. The coop protects the birds from predators at night when they are most at risk.

Ed
www.fletcher-farm.com

Thank You Sponsors!