iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stair steps

Started by Larry, September 07, 2004, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I'm doing a deck job.  Almost complete with the deck but I still have to build stairs to a landing than another set of stairs to ground level.  I don't build enough stairs to be proficient at figuring out the dimensions.  I can do it the hard way but it takes me quite a while.   Anybody know a program that I can plug in the rise and run to get an answer that I can use with the framing square?  
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Furby

Simple math, with the square!
I think I have this right.  ::)
Height devided by step rise = # of steps
# of steps x tread width = run

108  3/4" height with a 7 1/4" rise = 15 steps
15 steps x 11" tread = 165" run

For a 7" rise and a 11" tread, hold the 7 and 11 on the square up against edge of board(point away from you) and draw the triangle. Move to the mark of the last one and repeat.
Clear as mud ???

DouginUtah

Larry,

I wrote a VB5 program which calculates the rise and run given the total height and total run..

It is on my downloads page, the second program listed:

http://www.xmission.com/~sherwin/download1.htm

If you don't know much about running VB programs you might need to read the instructions at the top of the page.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Bruce_A

Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the tread material, or you might have a couple missteps.

Tom

I was a little disappointed.  I was expecting some formula for the length of time it would take Super Dave Osbourne to tumble down 15 flights of home-made wood stairs into an ice filled cooler. :D

sandmar

LOL Tom,
Me thinks you might have too much Frances rain on the brain ;D
Thanks for the handy info guys!

Sandmar

etat

Now there's a name (Super Dave) that I havn't heard in a while. :D :D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Larry

Thanks guys.  Exactly what I was looking for. :)

Little confused on this Super Dave character.  Who the heck is he? :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

etat

Kinda reminded me of a cross between uh, let me see, .....Evil Knievel, Houdini, and aw heck....... the three stooges?   Lets just say probably pert near about one of the greatest comedic stunt men of all time. Otherwise why else would he call himself SUPER DAVE! 8)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Larry

Doug,
I used your calculator and it worked great!  I am ready to start  running handrails along with balusters.  It's sorta fancy deck and the balusters are 2-2"X2" followed by a 1"X6" and then the pattern repeats.

You got a program that will figure the angle cut after you input the rise and run?  It's not a big deal as I have plenty of string.

Rod

The way I was shown to lay out stairs was to use a pice of lumber,say like a 1''x2''..Then see what the hight is from floor to FINISHED floor.divid that by 7'',that will tell you how many steps there will be.Then lay them out on 7'' marks(7 1/2'' is a good rise) on the 1''x2'' to see were your last step will end up at.If the last step doesn't land in the right place,take the differents and divid that by all the steps to make it land at the right hight.Then after you have got your rise figured out you take your framing square,lay it on the stringer.say your rise is 7 1/4'',you put 7 1/4'' on one end of the framing square,and the other end of the framing square is your tread,like were it says 9''and that should be no less then 9'',Then you just lay out all the steps like that on the stringer.Most people will miss up on the begining step by not figuing in the thickness of the tread.Well thats about it,just put the stringers up and nail down the treads.

Thank You Sponsors!