iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Crank Bearing Question

Started by kellysguy, June 24, 2015, 01:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellysguy

How freely should a crank with new bearings turn? Everything appears to be seated correctly but the crank seems a little too resistant to turning by hand. It isn't locked up but not nearly as free as the old one. I tried tapping from both ends to relieve any tension but that didn't really seem to do much. Is there a bearing and crank installation toll available for Husky 365s? Thanks.

celliott

Just went through this same thing on a 2171 (same crankcase, crank and bearings as your 365)
I also whacked both ends of the crank with a deadblow hammer to relieve tension on the bearings, didn't help.
Someone gave me a tip to use feeler gauges inside the case to center the crank.
Gave both sides a few minutes on the heat gun, got the feelers out, a few good taps and it was centered and rolling smooth, almost no resistance. There is some resistance once you get the seals in, but still nice and smooth, not bound up.

Give the feeler gauges a try, see where you're at compared to centered.

Just be sure to use a brass hammer, or a block of wood or something so you don't bugger the threads on the crank.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

kellysguy

I've got a dead blow so no worries there. When I heat the flywheel bearing housing it rolls free, when it cools back down it stiffens up. I can rotate it with just lightly oiled fingertips on one hand but it still feels too stiff to me.

kellysguy

Knocked it around and it's better. It's not exactly centered but it is smoother. Does it have to be perfectly centered, what's the tolerance?

kellysguy

Crank now centered and free/ Reuse the little oring or buy a new one? They want $8 just to ship it. What about the Meteor wristpin clips, use those or the old factory ones?  Thanks.

Jiles

Quote from: kellysguy on June 25, 2015, 01:49:33 PM
Crank now centered and free/ Reuse the little oring or buy a new one? They want $8 just to ship it. What about the Meteor wristpin clips, use those or the old factory ones?  Thanks.

I just finished rebuilding a chainsaw, and was faced with the same question. I chose to use the ones furnished with piston.
Main reason is that I had a little trouble removing the original (distorded) ??
Also, consider that the old rings may not fit the groove correctly.
Just a reminder--have gaps facing up or down.
Satisfy needs before desires

kellysguy

Solved my o-ring problem and came up with a new way to seal that sleeve. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!