iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MF135 Diesel Tractor --- Diesel leaking into crankcase

Started by Left Coast Chris, May 24, 2008, 12:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Interesting situation yesterday,

I drained the crankcase oil on our Massey Ferguson 135 tractor and it was almost pure diesel.  Never imagined the tractor could run with diesel substituting for the crankcase oil....... :o :o

As to the cause,   my guess is the fuel lift pump that has the little hand pump lever located on the right side of the engine or the injector pump.  It has a diaphragm that is the likely culpret.

I ordered a new fuel lift pump for about $37 including shipping.  Hopefully that will do it.  If it needs a new injector pump that will be around $700.

Anyone had diesel in the crankcase on a diesel tractor?........ and what was the cause?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Dave Shepard

We have had that on at least two of our IH tractors, a 656 and a 756. Both times it was a check valve on the fuel return line in the bottom of the fuel tank. The injector pump would over pressure and blow the seal and let the fuel go into the crankcase. Cleaning or replacing the check valve is all that was required to stop the problem.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Chris, I had exactly the same problem on the MF65 I used to have, and it was the lift pump.  I think you're on the right track.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Left Coast Chris

Dave:

I will check the check valve also assuming the Massey has one.  So far of the people that I talked to that have worked around the small Perkins diesels both said the fuel lift pump diaphargm is the most common cause.  I have my fingers crossed.  I should get the new lift pump on Wednesday so when I pull the old one if it is real clean and smells of diesel on the inside arm that goes to the cam shaft....... Wa-La.

Dan:  Good to hear.   The real wierd coincidence on this one is all I thought I had was a leaking oil plug.  I knew the threads on the plug were stretched so was going to get a new plug on the next oil change.  It did seem to leak more than expected....since I had to add a quart about every two weeks.  Apearently it was leaking a little more than it was taking in diesel.  What a suprise to empty the crank case and find blackened diesel.  It did have a small lifter noise but no knocking.   I probably put 10 or 12 hours on it with the diesel in the crank.   I hope it did not hurt the engine.   My brother said that the hyster fork lifts at the mill he used to work at had the next size up Perkins........ 4 cylinder that  Massey puts in the 165 and he saw two of them over flow at the dip stick before they caught the diesel coming in from the lift pump.  Ouch....

--Thanks--
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Cedarman

Yup, common problem with perkins engines.  Check oil regularly, if it uses oil and suddenly quits or gets higher on the dip stick, time to get new pump diaphram.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!