iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Bread

Started by Paul_H, January 15, 2009, 09:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

Anyone have any success with sourdough bread? I got some 150 year old starter for Christmas but am not having much success yet. The bread isn't rising as it should. Yes I already have been told to try some newer starter that mine's too old ( LOL ).
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

SwampDonkey

Used to like sour dough until they started leaving it in a paper sac for days to go rock hard at the grocery store.  :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I've just been informed that the last of the bread I made a week ago is now gone and its time to make some more.

I think I will.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

The bread is-a-risin and Supper has been started. Were having Bean soup and Homemade bread fer supper. :)

Tammy's Bean Soup

Norm

I tried a new bread recipe last weekend. It's called ciabata bread and is made with a starter similar to the one Paul showed. Problem was they called for you to use parchment paper to cook it on and all I had was waxed paper. When the bread cooled down I found that the wax paper had stuck very firmly to the bottom of the bread. Oh well at least the chickens enjoyed it.

We've been slowly using a whole ham I bought some time ago and am going to make ham and bean soup this weekend with the big bone from it. I start it in the morning and by the evening it more like a porridge. I do have to be careful not to eat too much though.

Jeff

Norm, I think my mom always used brown grocery sacks when something called for parchment paper.

The soup is now in the slow cooker and will probably be done about 6:30 tonight. THe bread has risen and been beaten back into submission again. I'm going to follow a suggestion from Mr. Tom and let it rise at least a couple times.  It was so good the firsttime I was hesitant about changing up, but ya know what? This time it might be BETTER! ;D

Norm

Thanks Jeff, I never thought of that. Although we don't get paper grocery sacks we have a brown paper that comes on huge rolls at work we use for packing filler. It is the exact same kind that the grocery sacks are made of.

I never thought of using my slow cooker for the bean soup. Do you use the low setting?

Jeff

It will be on high for the first 3 hours or so, then I'll turn it to low.  It sure makes simmering easier then trying to do it on the stove.

Norm

Boy it sure would. Bean soup is notorious for scorching on the bottom of the pan. Thanks for the tip! :)

SwampDonkey

I have parchment paper, it don't cost hardly anything and we no longer have paper grocery bags.  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 06, 2009, 01:46:54 PMwe no longer have paper grocery bags.  :-\

WHAT?  I was almost certain you guys up that way were at least bi-sackual.  :D

SwampDonkey

No Jeff, that bilingual, the third branch of government racism.  :-X

WDH

Guess what?  I had bean soup and cornbread tonight ;D.  I will probably have some left over soup tomorrow (it gets better after it sits for a day or two in the frig) so that we can all celebrate bean soupness.  Sometimes other people, though, don't appreciate a celebration of bean soupness :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I've just begun to celebrate my bean soupness.  ;D

I got that bread thing down! digin1

ohsoloco

Mmmmmm, ham and bean soup that's been cooking all day so you can stand a spoon up in it  :)  It's even better the next day!

Since we don't cook Thanksgiving dinner (go to my parents' and Denise's family on the same day) we have two large turkeys in the freezer...gotta buy 'em cuz they're on sale  :D  Having some friends over tomorrow so we're going to roast one of 'em to munch on...all 16 pounds of it  ;)   I'm already thinking about the soup I'm going to make, just not sure if I'll use rice or noodles.  I may just make noodles, after realizing they're so easy to make it's kinda fun, especially using my gram's pasta machine (one of those roller/cutters).

Oh wait, I'm off topic.  I'll eat some bread too  :D 

WDH

I'll have some of the Boss's bread with that turkey soup that you are going to make from the left-overs ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Mom always said that working the dough is key to making good bread also raising it good to. She always raised it in the bowl, then transfers to the bake pans were it raised there to before baking. I'm no bread maker myself as I don't eat a lot of bread.

Norm

The ham bone was too big to fit in my slow cooker so I had to find a pan that it would fit in.

I just start out with ham, onion, beans, pepper, and some bay leaves. Later today I'll add in carrots.

Boy this java uploader rocks!

Jeff

It sure is nice to see the occasional positive comment on photo posting. :)

I'll be having bean soup again today. I need to filler up as I'm starting to run low on gas already. :)

SwampDonkey

I've not tried it Jeff, but can't complain either way. It's a lot easier to read/view the photos here and I find easier to deal with photos here, than on a lot of other sites. Some sites take your photos and you never know where they are again. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!