Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

The sweetgum up here cuts nice and straight. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Oh it cuts nice and straight here too....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Just kidding Southside, No sweet up here . Maybe someone can tell us how far north it goes?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Sixacresand

I will be going with the Pine instead of sweet gum.  Gum comes "ALIVE" when milled.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 06, 2018, 07:37:51 AM
Just kidding Southside, No sweet up here . Maybe someone can tell us how far north it goes?

About as far as Grits.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

47sawdust

No sweet gum,but poplar will sometimes follow you down the log when sawing.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 07, 2018, 10:49:27 AM
No sweet gum,but poplar will sometimes follow you down the log when sawing.

Sometimes a Sweet Gum or stressed Poplar board will load itself on the trailer.  :D

paul case

IF that happens do you still charge for loading?

$300?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: paul case on January 07, 2018, 03:34:58 PM
IF that happens do you still charge for loading?

$300?

PC

Yes....the more stress in the wood the less stress for me.  ;D

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

I can tell you sweetgum does not grow up this far. The few trees I have seen in WV were planted and not naturally occurring. I see it in Charlotte NC 200 miles south and maybe half way between. We had tons of it in Fla where I grew up.

I remember seeing the leaf in a medical display in Ulaanbataar, the capital of Mongolia, while I passing through there after leaving a project down in the Gobi desert so evidently it grows there and has some medical applications.

FWIW - A type of Chinaberry tree grows in Saudi Araibia and other parts of the mideast and is called a Neem tree. It is also used for some local medicines and teas and such over there. (Dad said hogs down in central Fla where he was raised would starve to death if there was a chinaberry tree around because they sit under it all day long waiting for a berry to fall then fighting over it when it did fall rather than getting out and foraging for readily available food.)

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Darrel

Had a dog once that would sit all day under the persimmon tree when the 'simons were ripe. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

I have seen some decent sized sweet gum in southern Joisey.  Maybe it's the winter low that determines how far north it will grow as that area is pretty mild. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Quote from: Darrel on January 07, 2018, 11:44:30 PM
Had a dog once that would sit all day under the persimmon tree when the 'simons were ripe.

I bet he was regular. :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

Peter
My sweet gum saws straight as an arrow over here too ;)
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Slingshot

My father-in-law told me about an old farmer back in the day who
cut down a gum tree and had it milled into boards that he used for
a farm wagon bed and when the boards dried out the wagon twisted
so bad that only one wheel was left sitting on the ground.  ::)

hopm

Had a friend who had logs he wanted sawed. Told him to bring them to the mill and I would take care of it for him. When I went to see what he had brought it was all gum. Against my better judgement, I went ahead and sawed it. Wasn't bad at all and I sent it on it's way back to where it had come from. This was about 7 or 8 years ago. I was by his house last week and I noticed a tangled mess of rotting wood. It was the sweet gum. Twisted, bent, and bowed and now rotting too!!

caveman

On another thread WDH was mentioning planting some improved loblolly pines on his place.  I followed the link he posted and the nursery also sells improved sweetgums.  I have been wondering how they improved the sweetgum.  Did they make the gumballs soft so that they do not hurt my bare feet?  Did they precondition the trees to produce logs that will eventually produce high quality, straight boards?  Did they improve the tree's benefit for wildlife?  I have been cogitating on that for a few days now and would appreciate some enlightenment.
Caveman

Darrel

Quote from: Slingshot on January 08, 2018, 01:02:23 PM

My father-in-law told me about an old farmer back in the day who
cut down a gum tree and had it milled into boards that he used for
a farm wagon bed and when the boards dried out the wagon twisted
so bad that only one wheel was left sitting on the ground.  ::)

If that's how good sweet gum is, I'm going to make some apple boxes from green sweet gum and when the wood dries it will squeeze the cider out of the apples.

No can't do that sweet gum doesn't grow here.
1992 LT40HD

Peter Drouin

One wheel,  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D, Thats bad. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Kyle,

Improved for fast growth.  And, the faster it grows, the more it twists and warps  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 05, 2018, 09:42:58 AM
I will be milling some pine or sweet gum today to get some 3/4 X 8's for vertical siding and doors for a yard building.  If I go with the gum,  I will need to nail it ASAP to minimize warping. And as it dries, the gaps between the boards will be wider, but that is not an issue.
From log to wall in 6 days during some of our coldest days. I milled this pine to 1/2 inch thick X 8 inches wide, kinda to match the beaded masonite siding on the original building.    When it dries, there will be gaps between the boards which is OK for a yard building lean to.  Nancy will paint it anyway when it warms up.  All I lack is putting hinges on the doors.   

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

John,

The doors do work a lot better with hinges  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

Quote from: WDH on January 22, 2018, 08:04:25 AM
John,

The doors do work a lot better with hinges  :D.

Only if you need to open them.  :D
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!