iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

The hardware store downtown had some heavy duty hinges, hefty wood screws and carriage bolts.  I should be swinging in by tomorrow noon.  We are blessed to still have a locally owned hardware store. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Lawg Dawg

Hard to see,but got some NICE 12' syp logs to saw in the morning for 1x12x12 pine board and batton siding....I cut a lot of that 8)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

hersnsh#590

TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

Not good,

It's the big one in there, A little rub over the years and it was weeping now leaking bad.
Wheres the cat man when I need him. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

69bronco

Seems like it's always the one that's in the back or the hardest to get to!

Peter Drouin

That's why the cat man is going to do the job, I'll make lumber. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Resonator

Would be a good time to check other hoses, maybe upgrade to heavier psi / wire hose. Maybe some anti-abrasion wrap would help too.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Grizzly

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 07, 2018, 12:34:56 PM
That's why the cat man is going to do the job, I'll make lumber. ;D

I often wonder if I would be better off taking this approach. I'm too inclined to say I can do it myself and will spend significant time to learn how or simply to dig in and figure it out. Meanwhile I could have been making lumber or making production in some other part of the family enterprise. The repair guys do well for a reason and it's not robbery. It's cause they know their stuff. Most times.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Peter Drouin

Resonator, I'll give the cat man a piece radiator hose cut the long way to put on the hose.

Grizzly, I don't have all the tools to do the job. I will do a job like change the oil, grease it, change the air and fuel filter. Jobs easy to get at and fast to do.
But you have to remember the cat mans work is guaranteed.  ;D

I was talking to 4x4 last night on the phone about my 30"x40" addditon and hire it out. [roof part]. I can do it or make lumber. Will see.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Southside

Peter -

Just wondering what you did to the bottom of those posts to keep them from rotting.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

Not a thing. :D :D :D :D
I might put some old oil around where they meet the ground.
At 63 I don't make things to last forever.
IF! My boys ever get the place they can deal with it. :D :D :D :D

Kinda like an 80 year old man want to put 30 year shingles on the house. WHY. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I got some pics to put up anyone know if there's a new way to do it with the new server?  I cant find the gallery button. On my mobile btw
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Got some tire chains for my hoe today.  Sick of sliding around all over the place and not being able to push anow with the racing slicks I had on the front.  They would also compact all the snow and make my yard an ice skating rink.  I've fell down and so have others on it.  Not good.  These chains should help break up the ice a bit.  Moved a little snow this afternoon and they were awesome.  I could actually push the snow where I wanted it to go.  Got them things nice and tight too dont even need bungee cords.

Boy, back in my day..

Andries

Good photos 4x4 - you must've found the gallery button.  ;D
Got similar issues up here in Manitoba - the snow buildup is starting to push back.
Those chains look good. Mind telling us where you sourced 'em?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

Sweet - now you just need a big scoop or a Boss type V plow for your hoe - I sure don't miss those days!!!  Around here we get enough to plow once every couple of years, so I just lash a big old log to the skidder blade and away I go - no digging in, and when I am done the log has a nice, debarked section!! 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

I got em from Dick Fogarty of Comstock Logging Supply, he's the man.

lol lol that's too funny southside I like that idear
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Eat yer heart out Fisher!!! 

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

longtime lurker

Some days its just hard to go to work innit: All that white sandy beach and palm trees swaying in the breeze and days at 90 and nights at 75. Warm tropical rain with drops sooo big they sting when they hit. Makes a man just want to sit on the verandah and stare at the water all day, then maybe go fishing, then end the day still sitting there with beers watching the bikini girls undulate down the waterfront.

Doesnt it?

Doesnt it???  :D :D :D

(Y'know guys, 50 is approaching quicker then I'd like and I've never touched snow. Seen it out an airplane window twice, and thats it. Guess I need to attend to that huh... maybe put a finger in it then retreat to the nearest banana tree to contemplate the experience. Weird old world innit?)

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 07, 2018, 07:55:02 PM

Kinda like an 80 year old man want to put 30 year shingles on the house. WHY. ;D

I sorta like that.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Southside logger on February 07, 2018, 11:44:05 PM
Eat yer heart out Fisher!!! 

:D I tried pushing snow with the 208 once. Once.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

Well, looking at the photos, I would have to say I would rather be milling at Longtimes's place than 4x4's.  Both have magnificent views, but one made me want to grab a fishing rod and a beer, and the other made me want to shiver and climb back into bed.
;D ;D
I think I'll wander outside and saw some wood, it's a balmy 33° here, still too cold for us southerners. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

Poston Wide Head?  Cool name change.  Does WM recommend 1 1/2 inch blades on the Wide Head?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: longtime lurker on February 08, 2018, 05:56:04 AM
Makes a man just want to sit on the verandah and stare at the water all day, then maybe go fishing, then end the day still sitting there with beers watching the bikini girls undulate down the waterfront.
Could be worse, your blade could be undulating, just saying.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

33° Yellowhammer  :D :D :D :D :D That's hot for this time of the year, I'd be in a light shirt.
:D :D :D :D :D
How about scaling logs in this.

That was last Wensday, It did stop snowing later.
Load comming Friday.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!