iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill as a fire wood machine

Started by ALA2, February 16, 2012, 09:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALA2

Hello all
  i just bought a circle mill  it says corley on the log  bunk, rest of the saw looks like it was put together with scrap , 
any way i am going to add a second arbour and a second trolly and saw limb wood.
i will be able to still saw  logs with a little changeover  of parts,
My ? is  can a 48 insert blade  be used and can it be flipped around to saw other way. insted of left to right, right to left.
I am new to the saw mill thing so  be gentle  this forum  has the experience  to help me . i tried the search and could not find what i neaded
  thanks   al

Magicman

I can't help you with your question but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: ALA2 on February 16, 2012, 09:58:10 PM
is  can a 48 insert blade  be used and can it be flipped around to saw other way. insted of left to right, right to left.

Nope you cannot. A Circle sawmill blade is tensioned to run in either right or left handed but not both.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

steamsawyer

Hey ALA2,

I guess to answer your first question, no you can't flop the blade over and run the blade in the opposite direction. The blade is tensioned to run in one direction and for a specific rpm. Can you post some pictures of what you have? That way we can see what you have to work with.

You might take a few minutes and look at the videos of my sawmill. just click on the youtube icon under my avitar. My mill is a J.A. Vance. It is a right handed mill. The hand is determined by which side of the blade the log passes when in a cut.

I don't understand what you intend to set up, but it sounds interesting.

Hope this helps...
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Ron Wenrich

I can't even envision what you're trying to accomplish.  I will tell you that trying to saw lumber from limbwood is a labor intensive operation with little yield.  The costs are higher than the product produced.  The best way to handle limbwood is either to cut firewood or use a scragg setup. 

You said firewood machine in the post line.  Are you going to crosscut the wood or rip it? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

r.man

What Jeff said is right for lumber but who knows how this will react cutting firewood. I'm thinking that you are a guinea pig with this and need to tell us what you find out when you try it.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

ALA2.welcome to the forum.
I think a so called slasher he wants to make? I think he wants to turn the blade and saw limb wood into stove wood lengths. Kinda scary to be doing that no matter what with a saw like that. Better have a good way to hold those small pieces or they will go flying. We use to haul out our limb wood on a trailer than stack it up. We had a cord wood saw and would saw like 2,3,4, pieces at a time,what ever my father could hold onto to. This worked good,because he was holding on to the wood. He could also pick and choice what wood to put together. Some he sawed only one at a time.Than the saw disappeared and we sawed it with a chain saw. That would get you a piece of wood in the shins every so often. That would hurt. Short pieces were the worst for this.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

Then, you need a different type of saw.  An inserted tooth saw is designed to rip. not crosscut.  Are you looking for something like this?

or

These you can get fairly inexpensively.  If need be, you could run it off your mill arbor.  Its a little more motor than what you need.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

Al, I shudder to think of what would happen if you tried cross cutting limbs with that saw,  with hook setup for ripping.It would snatch that piece and bind.As Ron said you need a cordwood blade their a set tooth saw with the tooth face having no hook,in fact the tooth face should be in line with the  arbor hole checked with a straight edge. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Grunex

never liked those buzz saws.......  heard of too may people getting their limbs cut off.......but I guess it's all in what yer used to I guess
www.grunexlandclearing.com
Maintaining America's Heartland one acre at a time.

bandmiller2

There was a day when it was ether buzzsaw or bucksaw,before chainsaws were common and affordable.When my father was young he and a friend went into the woods to help the kids uncle.When they got there he was dead saw bearings were fastened with lag bolts in wood they pulled out and the saw climbed up the front of him. Frank C.

Handy Andy

I have a saw similar to the one on the H IHC, in fact is on an H IHC, except the carriage slides on rollers toward the blade.  H runs fine, only trouble the old belt slips.  Was thinking of getting a used rubber round baler belt.  Would that not slip like the old  belt?

My name's Jim, I like wood.

bandmiller2

Jim,do you have a way to tighten your old belt? Back when I was using a cordwood saw I had a heavy idler to tension the belt.Usally ther are a series of holes where the sawrig bolts to the front of the tractor.If its an old leather belt they can be softened wit some neatsfoot oil.Really almost any belt will work I've even used old fire hose with clipper laceing. Frank C.

coastlogger

I believe that a RH blade can be rehammered to run LH(or LH to RH) without much fuss.I actually had this done when I set up my M14 which ran "backward" to original design.Blade lasted 20 years and as far as I know is still cutting.
clgr

ALA2

Thanks to evrybody for the knowledge.
  my goal is to  make fire wood from tops    like a buzz saw just using the saw mill  as a base i have 4 48 in blades that came with the saw .
i bought a 42 in crosscut blade that was made in the 50 s new in the crate,
i wonder if this blade will be directoinal i have heard of a person that hammers blades
i think i need to visit him before i proceed.
  thanks again for the help i do enjoy building things but not ifthey cant be safe
  or work wright.

Al

Jeff

Crosscut blades are not directional, other than they cut across the grain and not along its length.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

countryboy1

Get the right equipment!!!! Price a good chain saw vs. a trip to the ER.

The buzz saw is ok, but dangerous and you should have at least 3 people.  Only one guy at the saw that knows what he is doing.  One to bring the wood to the platform and help and another trusted guy to hold and toss the wood into a truck.

Buss saws do kick.  So you need the belt to slip or have a clutch to stop it.

Thank You Sponsors!