iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LS Engine transplant

Started by btulloh, April 25, 2019, 07:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

A while back a friend/neighbor started to resurrect his drag  car that had been sitting around for 25 years while he was tied up with raising a family.  It had small block chevy engine (turbo 350) that had a fair amount race gear inside and outside and was still a pretty good piece of power.  I started egging him on to put in an LS engine and get into the EFI thing.  This seemed like a really good idea since it wasn't my money or my time.   :D  He wasn't keen on the idea and didn't want to deal with all the new tech and wiring and engine management, but I assured him that he was just being A SISSY (or words to that effect).  I even promised to help with the electronics end of things, but he wasn't buying it.  Six months went by and now he's decided to do the LS swap and even remembered that I volunteered to deal with electronics.  Where did he get that idea??  So now I'm committed.

Today we went to pick up this LS3 (L96  6.0) from a junk salvage yard that had just come in.   2018, 10k miles.  Pretty nice.

Needs a hot cam, new intake, throttle body, headers, and all the electronics and wiring.  But other than that it's ready to go.  

Replaces the old 350 turbo:

Goes into this:

Some assembly required.

Now I've gotten myself into another project, but I think I've got the good end of this one.
HM126

sawguy21

The kind of stuff I always wanted to play with but never had the resources. Is the cab part of the project? It would make a fun street sleeper.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

That cab plus a bed is the body. It's a Chevy Luv. Go figure.

It will be pretty potent even before any boost gets added. He's got street slicks that are 16" wide so they'll do pretty well. It'll be a sleeper, but we've all outgrown that desire to accumulate speeding tickets.
HM126

Southside

So what's going to get the new power to the slicks? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Either a 4L60 or a 4L80. 4spd auto.

That engine was married to a 6speed, but it's too big to fit in the Luv cab and still have room for seats.
HM126

btulloh

I'm not sure what rear end he's got, but it's not a Ford nine inch.
HM126

Southside

I had a 4L60, I think, in a 2000 1 ton with a 6.5 in it, might have been a 4L80, it was a while ago. Was a much better transmission than engine for sure.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

I think I'd lean towards the 4L80 (turbo 400)... I just lost reverse, again, in a 4L60 (700R4) I'd say its loaded trailer abuse but they don't seem to be that tough.

btulloh

Most of this is new to me, so I'm learning as I go.  Fortunately I don't have to be the expert.  Apparently there are variations of both the 4L60 and 4L80 that have stronger internals.  It seems you have to be a transmission whisperer to sort this out.  He has a transmission guy looking for the right thing.  If you can't find the right one, you have to rebuild it, either before you break it or after you break it.
HM126

btulloh

Minor progress.  Details, details. Quite a puzzle to get headers, steering rack, suspension, oil pan, etc. fit up.  Good thing I'm just casual help on this.

HM126

pgk1

Should go pretty good, those LS motors are hard to beat. I bought a used Jeep hood from a guy and after talking to him for a little bit found out he was the president of a 4 wheel club and started showing me one of his many Jeeps. One was a 4 door wrangler Jk series that had both front and back 1 ton axles extended to enlarge the wheelbase, Atlas transfer case, 42" tires with beadlock wheels, hydraulic steering, and a LS motor, not sure what LS it had but he had it put on a dyno and it supposedly put out just under 600 HP at the wheels. It was kind of funny when he told me that it had a LS motor I figured that's nice he has a V8, he started it up and sweet lord did that motor sound wicked!! Said he mostly tows it on his flat bed and runs it out in Moab Utah. The guy must of had close to 100,000. K into it. Expensive hobby :)

Pete
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

hedgerow

That LS will make a nice set up and today you can buy plug and play for the electronics. Years ago when the northstar and the shortstar motors were new we were buying engines from wrecked cars and putting them in sand rails had a guy machining a adaptor to mate to a VW bus trans. It was quiet a job cutting the harness down and making it work today you can buy plug and play for them too.

btulloh

You're right about that.  Because there's such a good market for LS gear and it's been around for a while, it's easy to find whatever you need.  Holley has a fairly new kit now with ECU, trans controller, harness, and everything needed and it's a pretty good value.  Lot's of choices out there.  The Holley package even includes a little remote display that gives you gauges, tuning ability and base tuning maps to get you fired up.  It looks pretty good.

These engines can take quite a bit of added hp as they come from the factory.  The target for this one is about 500 hp initially and then add some boost later on to get it up to 700 hp or so.  Stock hp is something like 365 with 385 ft lbs of torque.  Headers, porting, improved intake, and a cam get's you in the 500 hp area with a good dyno tune.
HM126

Crusarius

I recently found out buick rendesvous have an LS3 option. That would be nice for my comanche :)

Thank You Sponsors!