iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

21+24+12 is about long enough.

Started by Dave Shepard, July 14, 2015, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Where is your lounge chair, umbrella, and mint julep?   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Probably will want an umbrella tomorrow. Supposed to rain.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BCsaw

Really nice. Mine will be 36' sawing length, yours is crazy cool. ;D

Dave you will need a cell phone to talk to your off bearers! :D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Jemclimber

Wow that's long!!!  I thought the 17' 6"x6" red oak cants I was carrying were heavy.  I would definitely not want to man handle any of those long pieces. 
lt15

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom L

holy mackerel ,that is a long mill !!!!!!!

you have to show us a picture of the tree you put on there

Dave Shepard

Smaller log. Just got a 12" x12":

12" x12" x51'

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

deadfall

Would have loved to see the video.  Especially of rolling it and pulling the slabs. 

...and cut to camera 3! 

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Dave Shepard

Nah, I don't much like being on camera. I'm already working on a projectproject that is being filmed by a professional film crew.

Peter Drouin

That's a nice tree. What size lull is that?
And what do you have in the silos? I like your greenhouse too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

The forklift is a Mustang 1155, 11,000 pounds and 55'. The bins and greenhouse are not part of what I'm doing. It's where we are set up at the moment.

bkaimwood

Dave, that's insane...where do u get logs that long, let alone straight!!!???
bk

Dave Shepard

You've got to cover a lot of ground. So far all the long stuff I've cut has been within 15 miles of home.

customsawyer

Them long ones do seem to add some extra work don't they?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

One log one band, do you have to switch bands on the same log.?? The problems with long logs are exponential but if you can handle them you have an exclusive market. A circular saw that could handle those logs would have to be twice as long. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

isawlogs

Are the chain tighteners stiff enough to handle the extra torque required to get the chain from sagging ?

Love those long beams, they would make great rige poles...

That sure is a nice rig to look at!!!!   8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

John S

I am also curious about the extra long and heavy drive chain. Any problems maintaining the 7-8 inch distance from the rail or does that change?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Shadevalley

Wood is good!

Andries

Drive chain sag on my setup is much more than the 7 - 8" below the rail.
I'd guessed that the tension needed to do that (7 - 8" droop) would destroy the drive sprocket and bearings, so my chain is adjusted so that it just barely clears the ground.
Long logs are usually big diameter logs, our Western Red Cedar need trimming with the MS660 and a 36" bar, before the mill head will clear the butt end.

Looks like Dave Shepard is getting long and straight hardwood logs - pretty darned special!
Alignment of the bed is an ongoing chore. We shoot a laser down the bed and use a white card and pencil to mark alignment.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Dave Shepard

I cut about 400 feet of 2x material with the band before we did the three long sticks yesterday. Chain tension is much lower than spec. The clamp is holding a machinest's v block. One on each end with a string line in the v.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

No, I wish I was using my mill. It's wireless. ;) I'll be taking this setup apart next week and then I'll be able to do long stuff on my mill again.

Tom L

Quote from: 4x4American on October 29, 2015, 11:16:59 PM
Bet you wish you had a ridealong!

I was thinking more of a commuter car   :D

terrifictimbersllc

I'd get a golf cart to drive around the mill site.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Don't leave your mill out in the rain! It'll shrink!

Thank You Sponsors!