iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What wood specie is this?

Started by hunz, November 10, 2015, 09:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

OK, so keep in mind I live in WNC, and this is a locally built gun cabinet. I'm interested in the cabinet although I disagree with the claim of this thing being made of walnut. If it's not actually walnut, it will serve to be a bargaining chip for me. Let's see what you guys think ???

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

fishpharmer

In my opinion it is very difficult to determine species with the quality and distance of the pics.  That being said it does not look like walnut to me just by the hue of wood.  Yet lighting and other factors play in with out more grain detail.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

hunz

Yes, unfortunately the pictures I was sent aren't the best quality. To me. It looks like maple judging by some of the ribbon curl on the inside of the cabinet, the grain pattern is almost non existent which is why I thought "can't be walnut". The seller claims the wood was stained a cherry color. In my experience, dark lumber doesn't become lighter in color, with lighter color stain on a planed surface.

fishpharmer

Nobody stains walnut a cherry color. Imo. The back looks like birch plywood.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Kingmt

The pictures are really bad but that isn't Walnut. I can't even tell if that is real wood. The ply wood looks really cheap. I'd guess big box store bought if it wasn't for the style they choose to hang the guns. So I'm thinking maybe it is a repurposed cabinet.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

bkaimwood

X4...not any walnut I've seen...stain walnut cherry? Come again???!!!
bk

Don_Papenburg

I have used some walnut that was bleached out like that . I think it was cut and stickered outside without a cover .   Take a cut on the back with a sharp hand plane .If it shows darker It could be walnut .If lighter I don't have a clue.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

hunz

The seller claims it to be made by a now deceased well known furniture maker. Apparently the guy only used Black walnut, or at least that's at least the claim. My belief is a topnotch walnut furniture maker is going to know what lumber to buy a and how to store it, in order to achieve the best final product. Even if this bleached out walnut, this lumber was planed down and you would think finished properly. My gut......someone told the seller the fib that it was walnut....he's not willing to let that dream die after a phone conversation day. Anyhow, Thanks to al, that replied, at least I know my eye for lumber species is improving daily thanks to the FF!

redbeard

could it be Beach with a cherry stain.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

isawlogs

Very hard to determine the wood, but my guess would be birch, white or yellow....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Shadevalley

Quote from: hunz on November 10, 2015, 11:04:45 PM
Yes, unfortunately the pictures I was sent aren't the best quality. To me. It looks like maple judging by some of the ribbon curl on the inside of the cabinet, the grain pattern is almost non existent which is why I thought "can't be walnut". The seller claims the wood was stained a cherry color. In my experience, dark lumber doesn't become lighter in color, with lighter color stain on a planed surface.
I 2nd this
Wood is good!

js2743

Looks like Cherry, I know your guns look nice in a fancy cabinet but get a gun safe so they will be there when you want them. this type cabinet just advertises what you have to a thief.

hunz

Quote from: js2743 on November 12, 2015, 12:28:53 PM
Looks like Cherry, I know your guns look nice in a fancy cabinet but get a gun safe so they will be there when you want them. this type cabinet just advertises what you have to a thief.

A very valid point! Now if I could just talk my wife into one of those fancy franklin series liberty safes.......

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

deadfall

It's just a matter of time before they come for Grama's china.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

LeeB

Just for conversations sake, is there any possibility that it's butternut which is also sometimes called white walnut?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

butternut would have very visible grain to it, this has little.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redprospector

Quote from: js2743 on November 12, 2015, 12:28:53 PM
These are words of wisdom indeed.
My Dad left me his collection of firearms that I added to mine. They were displayed proudly in my oak gun cabinet with the glass doors...until some lowlife broke in and took them. I lost 23 firearms that day. But the worst part is that I lost what my Father had left me. I no longer display firearms!
I was advised to average the cost of my firearms, and buy a safe that cost at the very least equal to 2 of them.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Is the wood fairly soft, denting easily?  Then it is likely alder.  If harder, it could be sap yellow poplar.  It could be cherry too, but it seems a bit off due to lack of high contrast from growth rings.  So, yellow birch is possible indeed or even sap gum.  Walnut is not on my list of possibilities, but butternut (very soft) is called white walnut and might therefore qualify as walnut.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

5quarter

That's definitely Cherry...but don't tell the seller or he might raise the price. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

Soft maple and I see some curl. I've got maple furniture here with the exact color stain.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Tinted spray on lacquer will do marvelous things.  The 60's furniture that we have is all Maple.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

The two pieces where you can see curl, look like curly maple.  Now the question is, is it solid wood or veneer?  Who's to say it's all the same wood either.  Is there plywood used also?  If the seller thinks he's sitting on a gold mine, let him sit.  Don't be a sucker.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!