iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Bands

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 12, 2015, 09:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

One good topic of discussion and training at last weeks WM NC Owners Appreciation Day was on maintenance and storage of bands. I must admit I keep mine in an old boat shed I added on to my hay barn. It stays pretty damp in there and I have been getting surface rust on my bands.

One suggestion during the session was to basically build something like a mini-kiln, I'd call it, to provide low humidity storage. I am thinking I will build something like a hinged box with hangers (probably wooden dowels to reduce the chance of contact rust) for each type of band (I currently have a stock of 10, 7, 7 turbo, and 4 degree bands) and a low wattage light bulb (like a 10 watt night light or such) to help keep the humidity low.

When I go to use the bands I figure I can take out the type and quantity I need and put them in my transport boxes. Actually, this may a good chance to rotate my bands too.

Do any of you currently use such? If so I'd love to see your designs. Thanks.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bandmiller2

I have never given storage rusting a second thought of course I lube with diesel, oil, or a mix. Soap and water lube sets up the band for corrosion, cleaning it to bare metal. Soap and water is a valid lube system just dry and mist the bands with oil before storage out of the weather. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

A small wattage light bulb in a small enclosed area works fine.  We installed them in the old corded telephone switchboards and I have one in my Hobart wire welder to prevent my spool of wire from any chance of rusting.

Resharpened blades have a film of oil and stay in the return boxes until needed.  The same could be done with self resharpened blades.  Hanging them on a peg would be a sure recipe for rust in my area.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on November 14, 2015, 10:23:44 AM
A small wattage light bulb in a small enclosed area works fine.  We installed them in the old corded telephone switchboards and I have one in my Hobart wire welder to prevent my spool of wire from any chance of rusting.

Resharpened blades have a film of oil and stay in the return boxes until needed.  The same could be done with self resharpened blades.  Hanging them on a peg would be a sure recipe for rust in my area.

Good idea Lynn.   smiley_thumbsup

Up here lots of people build a box over their water pumps, but they install two (2) light bulbs, knowing that if there is only one bulb, you can almost bet on it burning out sometime during the winter, but with 2, you have a fighting chance that at least one of them will survive.

I wipe mine down with a mix of ATF, Diesel & 30W oil!

Usually it's just whatever I have on hand at the time, "any oil is better than none"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Unfortunately my storage area is very damp.

MM,

I would think if they were hung on a wooden peg instead of a big metal nail or spike, especially in a climate controlled area, would reduce the chance of rust.

Chuck,

I have 2 wells and keep a heat light on each of them in the winter. The one to the house is obvious if it goes out because I can see the light inside the building but the other is on a lot in front of my house and I have had that bulb blow and freeze the pressure tank (pump is submersible so it is safe). Fortunately when I thawed everything out it worked okay. The 2 bulbs is a good idea though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I don't think that the difference between a wooden peg or a metal spike would matter as much as where they were driven.  Most that I see are on the sawshed wall.  With our temperature changes and humidity, they will coat with moisture almost every day.

Of course none of this matters with me anyway, because mine are boxed, both sharp and dull.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

I tapped into my house HVAC air ducting to add a run and vent to my garage bay so I can store kiln dried lumber to keep it dry.  Its also a great place to sharpen bands and hang them them on rubber coated screw hooks sold for hanging bicycles.  Dry air in the garage, no rust, no problems.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Mine are boxed too but not as well as your famous MagicCans so they still sometimes get a little surface rust. That is why I need some kind of "chamber" with a drying unit (lightbulb?) to keep them in.
Howard Green

Magicman

The very small wattage bulbs work well in an enclosure, and I like Chuck's idea about have two of them.  At times I find my welder bulb blown. 

bandmiller2

Where I live is not extremely humid and hanging in a dry location with air movement is fine. Also there is short or long term storage. A heated box is good but be careful use small wattage bulbs in ceramic bases, protected from band strikes for obvious reasons. There is a heating element called a goldenrod made for gun safes that is safe and many have a lifetime warranty. To sum it up if you have grits for breakfast a heated box, if not hang in a dry area. Frank C.

Kbeitz

Being that I get my blade from the junkyard they almost allways have rust.
Sometimes I need to cut them and reweld to my size.
I just set them and sharpen then and run then untill they shine...
I dont see rust as a problem.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Frank,

Very good point about the bulb protection. I'll be sure to put some kind of frame or cover, use ceramic bases and use 2 bulbs.

Not sure about the grits comment. Where I live is not typically grits eating country but being endowed with an over-abundance of culture my wife and I smuggle them into the country and eat them regularly. When we have a fish fry they are on the menu and our non grit eating friends expect them. Sort of like cranberry sauce and turkey and Thanksgiving - not something you have often but you expect it on special occasions.
Howard Green

Chuck White

I have sharpened a few (and I emphasize few) for other sawyers in the area who only use 8-10 sharps per year.

The first time I got a couple of their blades to sharpen, they were encrusted with rust and I pointed at my cracked & broken blades that had been sharpened as many as 12 times and they were as shiney as new ones.

The usual comment was "how do you keep them that clean"?

Wipe them down with an oily rag when they come off the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

I don't like rust on my sharpened bands.  I believe that even a little bit of rust will oxidize and dull the sharp cutting edges and points, making a big difference in sharpness.  Whenever I leave  a band on the mill and come back to saw some time later, with it coated with a little powder rust, it definately seems to cut worse than when I left it.  I don't leave a band on the saw for that reason at the end of the day.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WV Sawmiller

YH,

I don't leave bands on the mill for safety reasons.

My humidity issues are in my storage area.
Howard Green

Magicman

I never leave a band on my sawmill overnight either, and it is nothing to do with rust.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 15, 2015, 03:59:50 PM
YH,
    I don't leave bands on the mill for safety reasons.
Very commendable. 

YellowHammerisms:

Dave Shepard

I always leave a band on the mill. I did all of my sawing on my personal mill this summer on one 13° band. It cut great, even though it would get rusty between uses. I store my bands in the original boxes. Haven't had any trouble with rust.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I don't even leave the band on my mill during lunch break!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishfighter

I had wiped down my used blades with 30wt motor oil and they still got a lot of rust on them. :o Guess hanging them in the mill house is not good.

Kbeitz

Always one in the crowd...
I never ever take my blades off... ever....
And I never had a problem from it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SineWave

What about wiping blades down with some drain oil? That's what I do with my table saw, jointer table, planer table, etc...

I've heard of welders making homemade rod ovens to keep 7018 rods dry using light bulbs for heat. One guy told me he wires up two receptacles and runs them in series (I think) so that the voltage to each bulb is cut in half (?) If I recall correctly, he said the light bulbs practically never burn out that way. Does that make sense? I know just enough about electricity to be a menace... :D

Kbeitz

Yes wireing two bulbs in series will haft the voltage.
Another trick is to wire in a diode to make the bulbs last.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

An untapped resource is used ATF it doesn't have the bad products of combustion and if filtered or left to settle its quite pure and a good lubricant and rust preventer, better when it had real whale oil in it but I won't go there. I use it to lube my bands via wick. It can be had free or cheap from transmission shops, tractor hy-tran fluid is the same so you might as well change your fluid and save it. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!