iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wavy planks yesterday

Started by petefrom bearswamp, November 13, 2015, 07:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Sawed my last 4 Norway spruce logs yesterday.
18 to 22 inches, 12 long straight, made mostly 2x12.
Every time I saw NS I vow to never buy any again.
Fresh resharp blades, 7x34 I used 2, probably not necessary, still wavy, boy this stuff sucks.
Back to hemlock today.
I'll be shutting down for the winter soon.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

47sawdust

pete,
Amen, to that my friend.Talk about expletives deleted.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ladylake

Try some 3/4 pitch blades, cuts  a lot better than 7/8 but still not perfect in the wide cuts.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

GAB

If you think Norway spruce is bad you should try Colorado blue spruce.
That is the one that gives me the most trouble trying to get a straight cut.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

Push the feed rate up and the cut will be flat.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 13, 2015, 07:11:43 AM
Sawed my last 4 Norway spruce logs yesterday.
18 to 22 inches, 12 long straight, made mostly 2x12.
Every time I saw NS I vow to never buy any again.
Fresh resharp blades, 7x34 I used 2, probably not necessary, still wavy, boy this stuff sucks.
Back to hemlock today.
I'll be shutting down for the winter soon.

Me too, Pete!

I think I hate any Spruce about like MagicMan hates Sweet Gum!   :snowball:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Pete,

sounds like a similar issue as with Rpowers
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,86772.0.html

I suspect its an issue with too little tooth set.

Dan

petefrom bearswamp

Peter, I have crowded the feed rate to where the engine is tight against the governor and I get some drive belt squeal and it still cuts rotten.
slowed the feed rate down same thing.
I have tried .055 10 degree at a very high tension, 7degreex34 and 7 degree turbo all with poor results.
I put it all into 2x10 and 2x12" planks so the wave isnt too much of a problem but it till bugs me.
Every time I saw this stuff i vow never again.
Went back to Hemlock last friday 8' logs with a lot of shake that didnt show up when the logs were fresh.
As rosann rosannadanna used to say its always something.

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Bruno of NH

I have the same problem with Norway spruce  with 7s
I have some 4s I'm going to try next time .
I like building with the spruce better then hemlock .
The last spruce I milled when cutting it with a worm drive skill saw . The knots where like concrete .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

drobertson

The only norway I've sawn was a few yard trees,  it was fuzzy on the surface, but the boards were straight and true, I was running the cooks' super sharps at this time, but will say wave is a pain,  modified, here,  it did mold very fast, a very vibrant green mold, and the knots had very little contrast in what I was hoping for.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

snowshoveler

I sawed a few spruce of some kind last weekend on my Belsaw.
I was not liking it at all. That was a lot of work for 20 2x6.
I planed them in my 4 side planer and that did not like them either.
I think I will stick to red and white pine and maybe some hemlock.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

petefrom bearswamp

I have used cooks super sharp also but same results
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

isawlogs

Northern spruce is a pain to saw no matter what blade you use. Some will saw real good, as soon as you think you have it made, you get a log that reminds you real quick why you hate sawing spruce.  >:(

If you want real fun sawing get one that grew in a pasture all on its lonesome.....   :-\    cut_tree
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 16, 2015, 04:38:00 PM
Peter, I have crowded the feed rate to where the engine is tight against the governor and I get some drive belt squeal and it still cuts rotten.
I have tried .055 10 degree at a very high tension, 7degreex34 and 7 degree turbo all with poor results.
I put it all into 2x10 and 2x12" planks so the wave isnt too much of a problem but it till bugs me.
Went back to Hemlock last friday 8' logs with a lot of shake that didnt show up when the logs were fresh.
As rosann rosannadanna used to say its always something

dont know anything about spruce but really liked the early days of SNL.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on November 17, 2015, 08:36:43 AM
dont know anything about spruce but really liked the early days of SNL.

Ohio_Bill -  If you put your text outside the "quotes", we'll be able to tell which words are yours. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

GAB

Quote from: isawlogs on November 17, 2015, 08:34:27 AM
  If you want real fun sawing get one that grew in a pasture all on its lonesome.....   :-\    cut_tree

Marcel: Your comment about growing in a pasture all on its lonesome got my attention.  I'm curious why that should make any difference?  Can you shed some light as to where you are coming from in making that comment?  Also, a tree that grew in a yard all by itself would that be the same as a lone pasture tree?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Quote from: GAB on November 17, 2015, 09:58:17 AM
Quote from: isawlogs on November 17, 2015, 08:34:27 AM

Marcel: Your comment about growing in a pasture all on its lonesome got my attention.  I'm curious why that should make any difference?  Can you shed some light as to where you are coming from in making that comment?  Also, a tree that grew in a yard all by itself would that be the same as a lone pasture tree?
Gerald

Not Marcel, but I'll jump in!

A Spruce growing in a pasture won't go through the "self pruning" stage, therefore will have limbs starting at ground level and going all the way to the top.

That spells headache!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

Mr. White:
Thanks for the reply.  I had not thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense.
Gerald

isawlogs

Gerald,
  Chuck got it right , same type of tree, nice big limbs all around and thick... headackes is putting it midly.....

Raised on farm " pasture spruce "  was what we had in the pasture..... We had big yards  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Grandedog

Howdy,
   When you're milling spruce you're better of with a blade that's measured in diameter rather than length.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Peter Drouin

I have cut some and they can be a  smiley_devil to cut.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

isawlogs

I, personnaly have not, they have though been recomended to me for sawing our northen white spruce. As I don't saw that much of it anymore, I try to always have a few new blades on hand and use those.  I hear that the 4° blades would cut the spruce well.

Marcel

5quarter

I push the set out to .030"-.032" when I saw spruce (Blue spruce). it has been a real bugaboo for me as well. I have been getting alot of wolf trees lately; no good for building lumber, but ok for siding and other stuff.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

petefrom bearswamp

I think gregg is correct, you need diameter not angle and set.
I sawed some Adirondack red spruce about 9 yrs ago with my old mill and had no problems, Logs were from 12 to 16 "dia
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!