iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's Spring Turkey time in Florida

Started by FLPINERAT, March 19, 2018, 01:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLPINERAT

No fried turkey but had a great time "talking" to a couple of birds.

Gobbler reminded me why it's advantageous to have the gun in your hand and not a call when he periscopes his head above the undergrowth. Missed opportunity #1

Did get to video a cool game of hide and seek with a hen who was looking for a few friends. She got really mad when I had to shut up or get busted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxlWAzbVac&feature=youtu.be

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for the vid.
do you have any of the burmese pythons there in the pan handle?
If so i wonder if they can make a turkey dinner out of them.
Are skeeters a problem in the spring?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

She knew exactly where you were or at least where you should have been.  Nice video.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

FLPINERAT

pete..most of them are still down in south FL, little too cold farther north. There's been an occasional sighting or trapping but very seldom. The moccasins and rattlesnakes keep you on your toes though!

The skeeters are ferocious! I still don't know how we managed prior to the thermal cell invention. Bathing in spray was common..turkeys don't rely on smell like deer. They say if they did, you'd never kill one.

magic..hopefully I gave her a complex, if so I'm still way behind.

thnks Ron.

Mooseherder

Baby Sandhill Crane time.  They walked past as I was about to cook some chicken.
SandhillsMarch2018 - YouTube

coxy

they gobble every morning i put my daughter on the bus it makes her so mad by the time may gets here they have had all there fun they need to open season the middle of april till the middle of may 

WV Sawmiller

Coxy,

Same here last several season the major mating season was already over by the time DNR opens Spring gobbler season. I like to go but am not very good at it. Most I killed were by accident like walking up on a bunch and shooting a jake or maybe sneaking up on one on the roost and shoot him as soon as he pitches down without ever calling - I have no shame in such matters. Most of the time when I call I find how creative they can be at eluding me. Of course that is fun too and it is nice to be out in the woods at daybreak to watch and listen to the various critters.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

timberking

About a month from heading west for Rio's

caveman

We saw a few Oceola birds yesterday while driving around practicing land judging with the FFA team.  This morning I heard one gobbling down by Catfish Creek in Haines City before we started today's practice.  The blind mosquitoes here were the worst I have ever seen.  It was hard to breathe they were so thick last night.  Thankfully they do not sting.  
Caveman

FLPINERAT

We got into them one time like that camping at Lake Istokpoga. You could not open your mouth, chased us back to Zolfo Springs.

starmac

I am wondering if blind mosquitoes are the same thing we called knats?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

FLPINERAT

Hhhmm..not sure??

We call em chizzywinks also.

N Fl has little gnats. They are bad too right now.

I call em kamikaze bugs. They'll fly right into your eye from 20 ft!

Autocar

I always enjoyed hunting Florida turkey it was nice to get away from the cold up here. But anymore the drive just turns me off and the snakes never bothered me when I was younger but after my trip to Texas it creps me out how many Big snakes you guys have out there.Still alot of fun anymore I hunt Indiana and haven't bought a license here at home for a number of years. Just got tired of no respect. You could park at a spot five in the morning walk in and around eight someone will walk right in ending everything.
Bill

Yoder409

Quote from: timberking on March 21, 2018, 09:02:43 AM
About a month from heading west for Rio's
About a month from heading west for Merriam's      ;D
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Yoder409

Quote from: caveman on March 22, 2018, 05:23:27 PM
We saw a few Oceola birds yesterday while driving around practicing land judging with the FFA team.  This morning I heard one gobbling down by Catfish Creek in Haines City before we started today's practice.  
If you ever need any help subduing those Osceolas down there, you give me a holler, mmm k ??    ;D ;D
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Thank You Sponsors!