iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill opening

Started by DanG, May 06, 2003, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Well, its been a long pull, but I'm about ready to declare myself  "OPEN FOR BUSINESS!"  8)
I got a big boost today, after talking to Jeff, who runs the pressure treating facility at Coastal Lumber Co., at Havana, Fla. It is about 25 miles from my place. I had heard, several years ago, that they would treat your lumber for $100 per thousand, so I figured I might get it done for $200, nowadays. NOT!!  It's still $100 per, with no minimum quantity, and no long waiting. He says he usually has about a 2 day turnaround. They will band the lumber for me, and I can bring it in on stickers and take it home the same way to re-dry it.
This Jeff guy was agreeable to a fault. I said, "You mean I can just call and arrange to drop it off anytime?"  He says "Aww, you don't need to call. Just bring it by from 8-4, Monday thru Friday, and I'll call you when it's ready."  These "Jeff" guys are really sumpthin, ain't they?  ;D
I've got my forklift runnin' pretty decent, and the mill is runnin' great. The yard is filling up with logs, either free for the haulin' or to be cut on shares. The winch and loader are working out good, since I re-engineered the loader. It will now load a bigger log than the forklift will pick up, so it is good enough!
I just gotta pick out a name, and get some cards printed, now, and I'll be rolling.
What do y'all think about the name thing?  I could go "highbrow" and call it "Hurricane Creek Forest Products," or go the corny route, and name it "Uncle Dan's Sawmill."  Since I really want to get into some of the more upscale things, like flooring, panelling and cabinet wood, the former fits better, but the farmers that want posts and barn lumber might go for the other one first.  What to do, what to do?  Oh, I know! I'll shut up and go to bed. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mark M

How about "The DanGGood SaWMill"?

Tillaway

On a serious note I would go with Hurricane Forest Products... the creek part makes it too long.  HFP for short, "make checks payable to HFP".

Or on a lighter side I agree with Mark, DanGood Sawmill, DanGood Forest Products...DFP... that would work, Another DanG Sawmill, More DanG Lumber..."I need some more DanG Lumber". ;D  I could go on... ;)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

DanG

That's a good thought, Till, but I wouldn't want to imply that my wood is just a by-product of a storm. "Hurricane", here in Florida, has a connotation similar to that of "Earthquake" in California. :D  However, my place is just a few hundred yards from "Hurricane Creek", which lends a little credibility to the name.  "HCFP" don't have too bad a ring to it, 'specially if it's written on a check. ;D
How about "DanGifitAinTaSawmill? :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

DanG, sounda like ya got things pretty well sorted out. Glad to hear yer ready to make yer mark on the wood business. Are ya working on the other side of the road yet, or still where ya were when we were there??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Haven't moved across the road, yet, but move to another "temporary" location. I set up in front of the little house, right about where the forklift unloaded itself when we brought it home.  :D   The ground is more solid and level there, and I still have to re-do the fences before I can move across the road.

Bro. Noble

DanG,

No matter what you name your business,  wishing you DanG good success! 8)

There used to be a mill nearby with a catchy name-----"Stout Lumber".  Course their name was Stout and 'DanG Lumber" probably wouldn't do :D  Used to be a cheese plant right down the road from Stockton Dam.  It's slogan was:  "Best Cheese by a Damsite".   Now, that might work for you if you have a Dam nearby and make cheese ::)

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

How about this one?

DanG
                       Cutter of fine woods and cheeses

;D

OneWithWood

Dan,
Good luck to you!  Any decent name will do.  I do like Hurricane Creek Lumber Products.  The name allows for a wide range of goods and services.  More than the name the person behind the name is what counts.  I know you will be successful.  
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mark M

I think that Hurricane Creek Lumber Products will be pretty DanG hard to beat. Maybe we should take a vote so DanG doesn't have to go through all the DanG misery of deciding?

Mark

Ron Wenrich

I don't think I'd let anyone know that you cut the cheese.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

biziedizie

Hurricane Creek Lumber Products........it does have a nice ring to it. It sounds cool to :) I think I would stick with that name.

Steve

dail_h

My vote HCLP
   Glad to hear ya ready to go good luck
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Minnesota_boy

I'd vote for Hurricane Creek Wood Products as it lets you diversify in case the lumber market doesn't work out.  You could then sell chips and bark and no lumber and the name would still fit.  You could even get into pressure treating and nobody would think anything was amiss.

on a related note, a local optical store calls itself "Third Street Optical" and everyone can find them.  What do they do if they have to move to Seventh Street?  Change the name and lose the name familiarity or keep the name and lose customers who look for them on Third Street?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DanG

Thanks to all of you for the kind words of encouragement. :)  I'm not ready to quit the day job yet(well, I'M ready but the bank account ain't), but I'm about ready to hang out a shingle for a part-time business.

I'm glad everybody likes the "Hurricane Creek" thing, as that's about what I had settled on, anyway. As per the original post on this thread, it will be "Hurricane Creek Forest Products."  One reason for the "Forest" word is pine straw. I have no aspirations to go into the straw business, but it is a big item around here. A loose, small bale of pine straw brings a better price than a big, fat, tight bale of horse-quality hay.  Go figger!  Hard times could force me into something like that, so the name should fit, I think.

OK, Jeff. start getting your ideas together. I'm gonna need a website, too, ya know. ;)

Bud Man

Could just imitate James Rockford of the Rockford files and carry around a bunch of cards for whatever occasion comes up but I'm betting whatever you call yourself you'll be successful and happy--"Much Success My Friend"
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

jwood

DanG ...Hurricane Creek sounds good..i had some blades sharpened at Calf Killer saw sharp ..that name never has sounded good...his shop set on the Calf KIller river
i bet you cld. make some good money with that pine straw..my wife picks up a few bales every trip to perry..uses it around her plants..
good luck with Hurricane Creek Wood Products..

Jeff

I like "Forest Products" after Hurricane Creek, versus lumber or wood. Heck, with that you can even identify with and sell the mushrooms off the logs that sit around to long. ;)

I'm ready to build a DanG website anytime you are. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!