iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel smell in gasoline fuel filter?

Started by IndyIan, May 09, 2003, 06:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyIan

Hi Guys,
I was trying to fix my car yesterday(81 Olds Omega carburated  :( ) and I changed the fuel filter.  Didn't help, but the old filter reeks of diesel!  Last place I filled up at doesn't even sell diesel so I'm sure I didn't use the wrong pump.  It is a bargain gas place so I'm sure it's not the greatest stuff but could it possibly have diesel in their regular gas?
Also the car wasn't smoking at all so I guess the gas can't have that much diesel in it?
The car doesn't want to idle and misses but will run at higher rpm's, still missing a bit though.
Any ideas? ???

Ian

Weekend_Sawyer

Sounds like you got bad gas ,no pun intended, I would siphon it all out and refil with good stuff. see if the car runs any better.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Ron Wenrich

I had that happen to me a couple of years ago.  You got bad gas.  The tank truck that delivered the gas to the station had fuel oil or diesel in it on the last run.  They didn't drain the tank.  Then they just filled up with gas.

You might be able to get away with running the car until you need gas again.  That's OK if you have a bunch of non-stop driving.

When I had the problem, I siphoned out most of the gas and refueled.  It took 2 tanks to solve the problem.

Also, go back to the fuel station.  I doubt if you have a receipt, but complain.  I'm sure you won't be the first.  I got 2 tanks of free gas.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

IndyIan

I called the station up and they haven't had any other complaints, they get their gas from shell.  

One of my freinds said it might be just that there has been old gas through that filter before.  In the last year the carburation hasn't been so smooth but it ran and got 26-27mpg doing it.  Probably some of the on going problems just happened to get worse when I filled up and its not the gas.

The car was my great aunt's and had 40000 miles put on it in 19 years...  The last couple years she had it, the car did sit for months at a time.  Since I've got it 3 years ago I've put about 25000 miles on it but it's never sat for months and most of that driving is highway miles.
So far its been a good car, only put tires, a waterpump, a battery, and rear brake cylinders in it.  Starts in -25 too!
It's not that happy towing my atv but it gets by, just needs to get a run at the hills!.  
Here's a pic.

My aunt Mary still asks how the car is going and I always tell her great!  Which most of the time is true :)  

ADfields

Ron's right on the money! ;)
In the U.S. it's within the law for them to sell fuels with up to 10% of another fuel mixed in, I'm sure Canada law would be similar.   The 10% mix will not harm a thing at the station or in your car BUT in your cars tank it can separate out over time.   Diesel will settle to the bottom of your tank in time so when the car is started it can get a slug of near straight diesel that will make a mess of things!!   The same can happen at a station if the pumps have been off over a weekend and you are the first car in line you could get a big shot of diesel from the gas pump.   It gets mixed in the fuel tanker trucks because they can't get all the diesel out before reloading that compartment with gas so even if the place your buying at has no diesel it's likely it's in the gas they are selling you.  

I would drain it and put in a octane booster and fresh gas.   Then find a different place to buy your gas for a bit, till they get it all flushed out good at your cheep place. ;)   Go to that place and complain so they will fix it and maybe buy you off with some free gas.   They will likely tell you they know nothing, but they do and just don't want word to spared, it's not something they can control.   It happens this way at ALL stations, cheep or not.
Andy

EZ

My Grand-Dad always driven Olds and at every fill up he always wood put a gallon of diesel in with the gas. He always got well over 200,000 miles out of his cars with no trouble.
EZ

IndyIan

Thanks for the info guys.  I learn something new everytime I log on here 8)

I've given up and taken the car in today, I don't have a good place to work on it and it rained all day sunday so off to the shop it goes.  

Thank You Sponsors!