iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carving Basswood

Started by craigc90, May 20, 2003, 08:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigc90

I had a Basswood tree uproot and fall over from all of the spring rains and decided to cut a 6 foot section and save it for carving. I have never done this befor and was curious about how wood carvers prefer to dry the wood or do they use it green. This was just one of those spur of the moment things I hate to see wood go to waste.

Jeff

Good question. I have a hunk under the boat I sawed out that is 10 foot long 7 inches thick and 9 inces wide that is defect free. It seems to be checking in on the ends a little but not bad. I had it standing on end at the mill for the first 3 months after it was sawn.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

I'm not positive but I think carvers prefer it air or kiln dried. Seal it so it doesn't split. If you do saw it up to dry it, be sure to cut it thick enough for carvers. You might call a local carving club and ask them.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

John Edie

I am a carver and have a manual mill.  It seems no matter how you cut it you're wrong. This will give you some ideas.4"X8"X14 works well for masks.  2" for deep relief.  1" for shallow relief.  1/2" for tree ornaments. 1/4" for chip carving.  They like clear and very white basswood.  I run it through the DH kiln, but many will argue that it has to be air dried.  Saw the logs immediately and sticker it even faster.  It degrades very fast.  wish you luck. :-/  If you leave it in log form to dry, rip to the heart on the worst side so the saw kerf will open up as it dries and not split and check radomly. Also debark.
Sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!