iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many cords?

Started by Greenman, May 22, 2003, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenman

I was wondering if anybody knows how to estimate the number of cords in standing trees.

Jeff

Welcome Greenman. look to your left. See the toolbox? There are several volume calculator in there that we developed. Also, one of the foresters ought to be along shortly to answer your question more completely or guide you to info.

Check our knowlede base too. Link at the top, or here is one right to the forestry topics.

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?Forestry
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

I wrote a rather long reply but I confused myself. ;D

The link below is to a handy log volume calculator program.  It gives log volumes in cubic feet and scribner.  Use conic fustrum or smalian in the cubic foot setup.  Smalian is a log taper formula that is suppose to be more accurate in certain species.  It scales a bit higher than conic on the same log.  This program may be limited to 40' lengths maximum but I really don't remember for sure.

The log volume calculators in the tool box treat the log as a clylinder, this is fine for saw logs but will short scale you on pulp or firewood.

Measure the DBH of the standing trees and estimate or measure the hieght of the tree to a merchantible top diameter.  This Merch diameter is the smallest diameter log you want to deal with.  Put these numbers into the program and you will get your volume.  If the heights are taller than the program will take then cruise them in multiple segments just estimating the diameters for the top log/s.

http://www.baxcode.com/logvol.htm

Use the PC version towards the bottom of the page, its free software. ;D  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!